Have Explorist GC but want.....

Alright, I just started geocaching 3 days ago AND LOVING IT, I've gotten my parents, and aunt to buy an Explorist GC as well and start geocaching.

My Magellan is working wonderfully but I'm tempted to return the unit and get something that will allow me to manually input coordinates while a computer is not available to create/copy GPX/LOG files onto it.

Sooo yeah, basically, I'm saying I wouldn't mind spending 50 or so extra bucks for a unit that would give me a bit more flexibility, with "Unknown" caches, or adding in my own desired coordinates for non geocaching purposes.

Does anyone know a unit that would give me everything I love about my Explorist with these other desired capabilities in the 250ish max range?

Cache ya later.

Edited by trainmanup

This can be done with the GC, I don't understand why you would need to return it.

Pardon my complete ignorance, I apologize, found it under waypoints. I underestimated this device, thinking it's capabilities were too narrow.

Edited by trainmanup

Yup, for a *geocaching* dedicated GPSr to not accept hand-entered coordinates wouldn't be so dedicated, now would it?

Would make for some difficult multis and puzzle caches. :ph34r:

Haha the first puzzle I did, I google maps'd the coords and drove there >< and then there was the possibility of just editing my own GPX file, but that would have sucked. Thanks for actually making me use my brain ;)

Well then, I guess to salvage what's left of my pride, could anyone recommend a similar unit with maybe topographic maps, or maybe better responce time on my location? MAYBE with an internal magnetic compass? Just wanting to invest big now while I can still return this thing IF I decide to.

Edited by trainmanup

I have been shopping and I was torn beetween the one you got and the PN-30 or PN-40. The PN-30 is running around 172 right now at walmart online and has topo and street maps. The 40 adds the internal compass but is more.

Amazon also has used/refurbs of these for what look to be good prices. I saw a PN-30 for 163 there.

If you get one let me know how they compare as I just ordered an explorist after many weeks of agonizing :blink: