Need some help here

Jaguar1

Today while walking downtown I found this:

5KED.jpg

Now here's my problem...Both benchmarks 4KED and 3KED are listed on the site. But I cannot find 5KED anywhere. Can anyone help me out here?

"Following animal paths may make the bushwacking a little easier, but probably won't pay off in the long run, since deer tend not to geocache much." - Geocacher Peeve on the Vaught Ranch Bushwackin Fun (B.D. #2) cache

There are many USGS marks that are not in the NGS Database. Most of the ones that are, were used by NGS survey party's and thats why you find them in there, its control established by NGS.

USGS records are in paper format, manuscript and field book. Thousands of pages per state by quadrangle names. It would be a monumental task put them into a database. With the trend to downsize government workers its unlikely they will be seen anytime soon. You have one of these here, the 3 KED and 4 KED were in area that NGS was working and they used the marks in lieu of setting their own, 5KED was not apparently close enough to be tied into.

Point of interest. I have found that many times (if not always) the the letters found on USGS BM's are the initials of the crew leader of the survey. Its is evident when you see the field notes as they always indicated the name of the person in charge of the survey team.

A guy who worked for me for many years once worked for USGS on a mapping crew. A friend he went to high school with was a crew leader and when they were in Michigan many years ago mapping the Seney Nat'l Wildlife Refuge he worked on the survey for him. They often hired many locals for hard work. He had some great stories to tell of them running levels thru swamps, chopping brush with machete's, getting eaten up by bugs all day. He did the mark building, digging holes, driving pipe etc. The ground was so soft in the swamps they used a tracked vehicle's (name escapes me, Weasel?) to get around. They would dig themselves a solid footing by moving back and forth, then set the level on the top to take the readings, while the guys chopped any brush in the way.

He declined to move South with them when they left here in the late 70's for another project.

[This message was edited by elcamino on June 18, 2003 at 03:37 PM.]

Thanks for the info Artman and elcamino.

"Following animal paths may make the bushwacking a little easier, but probably won't pay off in the long run, since deer tend not to geocache much." - Geocacher Peeve on the Vaught Ranch Bushwackin Fun (B.D. #2) cache