Library Cache

I'm working on a mystery/multi (not sure exactly what it will be considered) cache that will end in the library.

I have permission, the container and am working on the best way to get you to the site.

What I need everyone's help on is:

I need a title for the book as it will be on the shelf and some ideas for cover art. The container is about 7 inches, by 5 inches by 1 inch- so about the size of a book.

I was going to use my login handle as the author's name, but I still need a title.

So, how do I decide if it should be a multi or a mystery?

I'd like it to start at the old library (hence the multi aspect) but since it will be on the shelf there will be some solving (not just for the cooradinants to the library but for the Dewey Decimal for it) which would be a mystery to me.

I'm working on a mystery/multi (not sure exactly what it will be considered) cache that will end in the library.

I have permission, the container and am working on the best way to get you to the site.

What I need everyone's help on is:

I need a title for the book as it will be on the shelf and some ideas for cover art. The container is about 7 inches, by 5 inches by 1 inch- so about the size of a book.

I was going to use my login handle as the author's name, but I still need a title.

There is one in North Carolina called "The Complete Genius's Guide to Geocaching". It's sitting on the shelf next to a book with a similar name. That particular book uses a common color scheme for it's cover art to a bunch of other books that are in a series of similar titles.

I'd like it to start at the old library (hence the multi aspect) but since it will be on the shelf there will be some solving (not just for the coordinates to the library but for the Dewey Decimal for it) which would be a mystery to me.

Where are you placing the book in the library? You might want to put it in the reference collection (and in a little used part of the reference collection) so that no one but cachers are likely to pull it from the shelf.

I'd like it to start at the old library (hence the multi aspect) but since it will be on the shelf there will be some solving (not just for the coordinates to the library but for the Dewey Decimal for it) which would be a mystery to me.

Where are you placing the book in the library? You might want to put it in the reference collection (and in a little used part of the reference collection) so that no one but cachers are likely to pull it from the shelf.

The IT department (also a cacher but I dont' know her user name) said I could put it any place as long as it made sense, wasn't in the kids section, it has no trade items and I gave it to them about two weeks before it was published so that she could show it to everyone.

So, I guess it is up to me to figure out what Dewey to give it. I'd thought about placing it with the 'how to's on geocaching.

The IT department (also a cacher but I dont' know her user name) said I could put it any place as long as it made sense, wasn't in the kids section, it has no trade items and I gave it to them about two weeks before it was published so that she could show it to everyone.

So, I guess it is up to me to figure out what Dewey to give it. I'd thought about placing it with the 'how to's on geocaching.

You have connections with the librarie's IT department? You may want to reconsider and try something like this instead!!

You have connections with the librarie's IT department? You may want to reconsider and try something like this instead!!

I've met her a few times, not well enough that I'd ask about doing something like that. Maybe after this one has been out for a while. I'll ask.

I work in a library IT department and one of these days, if a nearby cache within the proximity guideline ever gets archive I may get around to placing one in our library. I even have somewhat of a theme planned out. I work in Albert R. Mann Library and though of doing a cache based on the history of the library and the person for which it was named. I'd call it "The History of Mann"

I work in a library IT department and one of these days, if a nearby cache within the proximity guideline ever gets archive I may get around to placing one in our library. I even have somewhat of a theme planned out. I work in Albert R. Mann Library and though of doing a cache based on the history of the library and the person for which it was named. I'd call it "The History of Mann"

That sounds awsome. I was hoping to find one like this before making one but there aren't any around me and I don't do too much traveling.

So, I guess it is up to me to figure out what Dewey to give it.
How about making it the posted longitude?

I wonder where that would end up putting the book on the shelf. I might use this, although I still need to decide exactly how to get cachers from the old library to the new one (I could put a bison tube or something up but I'd almost rather make it a question and answer). Many things to decide still.

I'm probably three weeks from publishing the cache. A few days to get all the details sorted, two weeks for the library to have the cache and then a few days for approval and publishing.

Just a quick word on what type to choose.

I was told by my reviewer to make it a multi as he could not publish it as a mystery/puzzle cache.

Reason was the hunt needed to include having to use your GPS.

Okay. Good to know.

A GPS will be needed to find the question and answer location and possibaly to find the final location (but the cache itself will be inside- so a mystery type hunt will be needed). Hence the confusion.

I'll probably end up asking the local reveiwer.

I was told by my reviewer to make it a multi as he could not publish it as a mystery/puzzle cache.

Interesting. Was that the exact language the reviewer used because the guidelines state that "although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions." It doesn't say that the use of a GPS is required for every stage in a multi, or even the final stage of a multi. My impression was that the spirit of the guideline was that the use of a GPS, or at least a requirement that one navigates to accurate GPS coordinates, had to be an integral step to finding the final container.

Note that the requirement to use accurate GPS coordinates does not necessarily mean that you must specify the GPS coordinates of the final. I've found a number of multi-caches where I used GPS coordinates to find earlier stages, and then used non-coordinate clues to find the final.

Odd. There's a library cache around here that's a puzzle cache. The cache description provides the call number. The GPS coords bring you to the front door.

I have a set of Dewey cataloging books at home (yes, I'm being serious, stop laughing :ph34r: ) so if you need someone to create a relevant call number for you, email me.

Odd. There's a library cache around here that's a puzzle cache. The cache description provides the call number. The GPS coords bring you to the front door.

I think you'd have a tough time getting that one past the reviewers today (or, most reviewers, if the cache is a recent one).

GPS usage needs to be an integral part of the hunt, but not necessarily for the final stage. You could use GPS coords that pointed to virtual stages in the vicinity that made up the Dewey decimal call number, and then led to the front door.

I'd suggest calling it Moose Hunt. I'd recommend hiding it in the reference section so that the book/container isn't accidentally checked out by someone.

PM me if you want links to two excellent library caches, I'd prefer not to post them here as it isn't immediately obvious that you are entering the library.

I think you'd have a tough time getting that one past the reviewers today (or, most reviewers, if the cache is a recent one).

I am curious... what guideline would that violate, especially if they need to use the GPS to get to the door? Not being snarky, actually curious.

The GC code could make for a decent call number. Sure, it won't look quite like a regular call number but I reckon most folks wouldn't notice - particularly in an especially ignored part of the collection. Or make it the street number for the old library's address (easy puzzle and way to tie the first location to the second).

As for the name, I vote for "Paperback Writer" or perhaps "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill", but that may be mostly because I'm currently cooking up at least slightly devious plans for a Beatles series.

Note that the requirement to use accurate GPS coordinates does not necessarily mean that you must specify the GPS coordinates of the final. I've found a number of multi-caches where I used GPS coordinates to find earlier stages, and then used non-coordinate clues to find the final.

That was pretty much my reading of the guideline as well. I don't see how the description provided earlier would prompt a reviewer to dictate that it needed to be published as a mystery/unknown.

We recently hid one this way. Go look for "Do you geek geocaching". Used Bill Gates' Foundation for an idea.

The GC code could make for a decent call number. Sure, it won't look quite like a regular call number but I reckon most folks wouldn't notice - particularly in an especially ignored part of the collection. Or make it the street number for the old library's address (easy puzzle and way to tie the first location to the second).

As for the name, I vote for "Paperback Writer" or perhaps "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill", but that may be mostly because I'm currently cooking up at least slightly devious plans for a Beatles series.