G20 in Toronto

scouterjenn

So we've all heard about the G20 in Toronto. Any of you have caches in the security zone? One of my cop friends says they're searching out anything unusual and removing them. It might not be a bad idea to pulll any trackables out of the security zone and relocate and disable caches temporarily. Just my thoughts. Security is also becoming higher at all City owned properties.

One of my cop friends says they're searching out anything unusual and removing them. It might not be a bad idea to pulll any trackables out of the security zone and relocate and disable caches temporarily.

They'll have to find it first! :blink: But seriously, my downtown cache is outside the security zone and the Harbour Master is aware of it. I would hope that some of the $1B is spent on someone who is familiar with the benign nature of geocaching.

Looks like there is five caches inside the zone including a multi. We'll have to see if they are still active after the "security force" leaves.

It looks like they are all micro, so no tackables.

Meh. I'm looking forward to caching in Haliburton, Grey, Perth during the G20. Won't be going near the 416 that week.

We're getting off a lot easier than BC did during the Olympics -- the security zone was much larger and yup, they wanted caches removed during the games. Can't blame them - most of the stuff they've been removing is because they don't want it to become projectiles ... though I'm pretty sure throwing a 35mm film canister with a log book inside is only gonna make the big officer with the nightstick angry ....

i've disabled and removed my caches near the G20 zone. i suggest that anyone with a cache placed in the downtown toronto core disable AND remove the container until after the stupid G20 is over. i spoke with someone from the military police who was aware of geocaching and who said the justice department had been asked to make sure all caches were removed by june18. dunno how much of this is fear mongering but it's gonna be a madhouse down here for the next few weeks. <li style="display: inline-block;" id="PF_MENU_BM_ADD">ADD<li style="display: none;" id="PF_MENU_BM_DEL">DEL<li>app_2_10337532241_6224.gifMove

So we've all heard about the G20 in Toronto. Any of you have caches in the security zone? One of my cop friends says they're searching out anything unusual and removing them. It might not be a bad idea to pulll any trackables out of the security zone and relocate and disable caches temporarily. Just my thoughts. Security is also becoming higher at all City owned properties.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/...116/?cmpid=rss1

Geocachers planning to hunt for hidden boxes in Toronto during the G20 weekend are being warned to take their sleuthing outside of the city.

“It’s not recommended to go down to a high-security area and start snooping around looking for a hidden package,” Ontario Geocaching Association vice-president Gregory Pleau said.

Geocachers are high-tech treasure hunters who use Global Positioning System receivers or other navigational techniques to find hidden containers called caches. The containers are filled with log books to keep track of who finds the caches. Caches can be plastic containers or even ammo boxes, but are usually small items such as film canisters in city centres and high-traffic areas, Mr. Pleau said.

It’s not the first time geocachers have been told to take their game somewhere else. The Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit asked geocachers to use “common sense” when geocaching and stay away from restricted areas at the Olympics earlier this year.

Mr. Pleau also advises geocachers who own caches in and around the security perimeter to remove them until the summit is over. About five of Toronto's 542 caches exist within the security perimeter, he said.

“We just don’t want to see the mother of all bomb scares,” Mr. Pleau said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/...116/?cmpid=rss1

Geocachers planning to hunt for hidden boxes in Toronto during the G20 weekend are being warned to take their sleuthing outside of the city.

“It’s not recommended to go down to a high-security area and start snooping around looking for a hidden package,” Ontario Geocaching Association vice-president Gregory Pleau said.

Geocachers are high-tech treasure hunters who use Global Positioning System receivers or other navigational techniques to find hidden containers called caches. The containers are filled with log books to keep track of who finds the caches. Caches can be plastic containers or even ammo boxes, but are usually small items such as film canisters in city centres and high-traffic areas, Mr. Pleau said.

It’s not the first time geocachers have been told to take their game somewhere else. The Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit asked geocachers to use “common sense” when geocaching and stay away from restricted areas at the Olympics earlier this year.

Mr. Pleau also advises geocachers who own caches in and around the security perimeter to remove them until the summit is over. About five of Toronto's 542 caches exist within the security perimeter, he said.

“We just don’t want to see the mother of all bomb scares,” Mr. Pleau said.

Thanks for the link Fish Below The Ice. That would be me quoted in the article.

The Globe contacted me after I ran a story on the TAG Website.

I was there today, between Yonge St and Spadina, all along Front St. Lots of fences and police patrols, but not once did any of them care that I was taking pictures and using my GPS unit openly.

Of course, that's a bit different than searching for any hidden containers.

:blink: BQ

Edited by The Blue Quasar

I was there today, between Yonge St and Spadina, all along Front St. Lots of fences and police patrols, but not once did any of them care that I was taking pictures and using my GPS unit openly.

Of course, that's a bit different than searching for any hidden containers.

:) BQ

Also, the G20 is next weekend. Right now it's not a high security area yet. They're practicing.....