Sprint EVO

PitaCJ

I am new to geocaching (as in, I haven't done anything but research so far). I have the new Sprint EVO and was curious if anyone knows yet what apps would be helpful to me?

Also, I can't add it as a device on my profile yet. The GPS I have now is the Nuvi 660, but it is a little bulky and annoying to try and carry around with me. I was hoping that I would be able to use the EVO instead.

I got my Evo last Friday and Cachemate works great on it. GeoBeagle should also work very well, especially if you're new to caching. I used GeoBeagle on my last Android phone, Samsung Moment, and it worked whenever the phone's GPS decided to turn on (it was a pretty buggy phone, the Evo is way, way better).

We're supposedly getting an "official" geocaching app for Android sometime this century, but I've been more than happy with Cachemate so far.

I got my Evo last Friday and Cachemate works great on it. GeoBeagle should also work very well, especially if you're new to caching. I used GeoBeagle on my last Android phone, Samsung Moment, and it worked whenever the phone's GPS decided to turn on (it was a pretty buggy phone, the Evo is way, way better).

We're supposedly getting an "official" geocaching app for Android sometime this century, but I've been more than happy with Cachemate so far.

I'll give that try and see if that is a bit easier for me to figure out. The phone is AWESOME so it would be great to be able to use it for my new hobby!

I am excited to get out there and start looking for caches, instead of just reading about it!

A friend of mine created an Android app for geocaching which works well, especially once you get used to it. There's both a lite/free version and a paid/plus version. The app is called Geooh. With it, you download the LOC or GPX files to your phone (via SD Card or website download), and it will let you access GPS navigation, compass mode, link to the geocaching.com site, and basically everything you need to get going.

I'm similarly on an Evo and this is the app I'm using so far and it works great for me.

A friend of mine created an Android app for geocaching which works well, especially once you get used to it. There's both a lite/free version and a paid/plus version. The app is called Geooh. With it, you download the LOC or GPX files to your phone (via SD Card or website download), and it will let you access GPS navigation, compass mode, link to the geocaching.com site, and basically everything you need to get going.

I'm similarly on an Evo and this is the app I'm using so far and it works great for me.

I went out today and found my first cache!! I was very excited, and I am very hooked. Too bad my lunch hour isn't longer.

I was having trouble with the whole SD card downloads, not sure what the issue is there, but I'll figure it out.

I ended up buying/using 'cachemate' as suggested earlier, and really liked that. I also added an app called 'GPS Essentials' that was free and very useful.

I have had an HTC EVO from Sprint for about a week now and have taken it out caching a couple of times. Previously I've used an Etrex, Colorado 400T, and NUVI 205W. They all have their good points. However, the EVO is the best so far for paperless. I did run into a few gliches today trying to find the closest caches. I had to fiddle back and forth between my location on the map and the cache list to get it to find the actual closest cache.

Tomorrow I'm going to get my Nuvi 205W back up and running. This one works really well for getting you close to the cache. I'll still use the EVO for finding and logging the caches.

Happy Caching!

Snarly Old Man

I have a Sprint EVO 4G and run the Groundspeak Geocaching App. for Android. I absolutely love going fully paperless. I added a program called "GPS Status" from the Android market which adds a nice "radar" feature to the Geocaching.com app. One device, no paper. AND.>>. The EVO has a very bright built-in flashlight using the camera superbright led's. I log the coords from my phone using GPS status when hiding a cache and it emails them to my google account. EUA