Google street view available in SA

DamhuisClan

As of the 8th of June Google street view is available in South Africa.

Has anybody spotted any geocaches via Street view?

Or maybe someone logging a cache while the Google car came past?

www.googlemaps.com

Type in the address of the location in the top text box.

Once at the address drag the orange man onto the map

Where blue lines appear, there are street views available.

Drop the orange man on the map, and view the street view.

For a list of towns covered see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetview

For instance Graaff-Reinet is not listed, but they do have street views for it.

A while back I had an idea of doing a long distance cache like from Cape Town to Hermanus, that families might enjoy doing while on their way to the destination. This would make the trip more enjoyable for the little ones and thus more enjoyable for the adults too. It would work along the lines of counting objects/identifying things like : how many legs on the bridge crossing the road, how many flagpoles at the farmstall etc, anything that could be counted without having to stop. Just as well I did not go to all the trouble. Out with one idea and in with a new one.

:blink:

A while back I had an idea of doing a long distance cache like from Cape Town to Hermanus, that families might enjoy doing while on their way to the destination. This would make the trip more enjoyable for the little ones and thus more enjoyable for the adults too. It would work along the lines of counting objects/identifying things like : how many legs on the bridge crossing the road, how many flagpoles at the farmstall etc, anything that could be counted without having to stop. Just as well I did not go to all the trouble. Out with one idea and in with a new one.

:ph34r:

No, do it! It is still a great idea and the street view certainly doesn't cover the countryside.

Just make them do something to prove they drove it - petrol slips or a start and end photo somewhere not covered by streetview would work... something like that anyway. Otherwise a great idea - do it!

No Need as if the start of the cache is in Cape Town and ends In Hermanus you might be able to do all/some of the waypoints but how are you gonna find a container in Hermanus sitting in your armchair at home?

trev

Google Street view is ideal, especially when the geochecker says otherwise. Confirm your location by sight. Unfortunately, that is where the armchair caching ends - you still have to go out and physically sign the log. I shall have to go there another day... :blink:

In order to see how easy/difficult this would be to utilise, I attempted to do an entire cache with Streetview this weekend and actually got pretty far.

I attempted it with Bo-kaap Mosques by Discombob seeing as it uses some fairly obvious landmark types in a relatively small area and I have yet to do it so could not cheat.

After a decent amount of searching and panning around I got 4 out of the 6 required answers with streetview. One of the remaining clues was blocked by trees and the last I didn't find because I knew I now couldn't get them all and will still do this manually one day (I even deleted the answers so I have to do them all again).

My verdict is as follows:

1. I really love playing with Google Earth and Streetview is awesome

2. It is possible to find all the clues for a cache if the clues are large enough.

This said, it is no fun at all and anyone who caches this way is completely missing the point!