Edit suggestions: Is this too harsh?

This is what I have for the third leg of a series that are puzzle caches. I know it is long

This is the first of the hard difficulty in the Sudoku Challenge series. The puzzles are much harder and the cache skill level has gone out of the "kid friendly" range. These will require crossing roads, uneven, steep, and even crumbling terrain, and may involve a significant hike. I reccomend, and almost require that any children be accompanied closely by an adult and have a first aid kit handy in case of a fall, scrapes, bruises, or nasty bug bites.

Basic trail safety, and comon sense, says that you should let someone know where you are going before going hiking. In other words, the general location of where you would be on a map. This is in case you break a bone or are knocked unconscious. Also have a FRS radio or reliable cell phone. Bring at least a 2 quart or 1 liter bottle of water. Have a walking stick or pole to help keep your balance and to fend off over curious or hostile creatures. Wear appropriate clothing for the weather and always a hat and bandana. Hiking boots with socks are preferable over sandals. And the most important is to know your limits. It is better to be humble and alive, than bold and broken, or dead.

This cache can be easy or extremely difficult to retrieve. Scout the cache area and make an informed decision before attempting. Satellite imagery and topographic maps will not tell you what you need to know. You will have to go see it for yourself. One of my other cache's that is not in this series is a good example of this concept, called "A Cache with A View." Once again this is not a park and grab. You will need a good pair of shoes or hiking boots.

FTF award is a 1961 solid silver US Dime. Good Luck.

There is a twist to the last three challenges and the Grand Finale that was intentionally not anounced. Each of the hard difficulty caches will be a micro with only a log and a number to the combination lock of the Grand Finale cache. You read correctly. The Grand Finale is not just a puzzle cache but also a locked cache. To get

the three number combination you MUST complete the three previous Hard difficulty Sudoku puzzles AND find the micro cache to get the combination AND solve the Grand Finale puzzle to locate the cache and use the combination. Finding the Grand Finale cache and not unlocking it does not allow you to log it as a a find. Anyone just finding the Grand Finale and not signing the physical cache log will have their smiley removed. I will be able to verify this even without chcecking the cache log, so don't try and finagle the finagler. This is to ensure participation and also to add a little more challenge to the "Challenge."

As stated in the text of every previous challenge page, the Grand Finale will be Diabolical difficulty. I didn't just mean the difficulty of the puzzle either. The location of the Grand Finale will have no attributes or hints to give it away. It will obviously be in downtown xxxxxxxx from the coords that will be posted. But the location can be half a mile away from the given coords, so that covers ALL of downtown xxxxxxx! I will even give the reference location and the size of the cache and it still will not make it easier. The reference coords will be the front steps of the xxxxxxxx Bed and Breakfast and the cache will be a .50 caliber ammo can.

Edited by Charlie Fingers

Nope, you had it right the first time, the trail safety portion.

Basic trail safety, and comon sense, says that you should let someone know where you are going before going hiking. In other words, the general location of where you would be on a map. This is in case you break a bone or are knocked unconscious. Also have a FRS radio or reliable cell phone. Bring at least a 2 quart or 1 liter bottle of water. Have a walking stick or pole to help keep your balance and to fend off over curious or hostile creatures. Wear appropriate clothing for the weather and always a hat and bandana. Hiking boots with socks are preferable over sandals. And the most important is to know your limits. It is better to be humble and alive, than bold and broken, or dead.

Not horrible, but a bit pedantic.

But the location can be half a mile away from the given coords, so that covers ALL of downtown xxxxxxx!

Actually puzzle caches can be up to two miles from the posted bogus coords, not just .5 miles.

I think the trail safety paragraph is a bit overbearing and could be softened a bit. But there isn't anything wrong with reminding cachers that they are going to be on rough terrain and to take appropriate precautions.

Sounds as a clear ALR to me ... so not allowed by the guidelines.

the ALR rule only applies to traditional.

OK, you're at least the 3rd person I've seen make this statement in the last couple of months. How did this rumor get started??!!?!?! I don't see anything about this in the guidelines:

If it is appropriate for your cache location or theme, you may ask the cache seeker to accomplish an optional and simple task, either close to the cache site (normally within 0.1 miles or 161 meters) or when writing their online log. For example, wear the goofy hat inside the cache container and upload a photograph. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish optional tasks. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

This guideline change applies immediately to all logs written from April 4, 2009 and going forward. Older caches with "additional logging requirements" (ALRs) are not grandfathered under the older guideline. If you own an existing cache with mandatory additional logging requirements, we request that you:

* Cease deleting logs based on additional logging requirements.

* Review your own cache listing to see if the ALR can be made into an optional and simple task, or whether it must be removed altogether.

* Adjust your geocache listing by editing the text then contact a reviewer to change the cache type, if appropriate.

So I can make a multi-cache, and require a photo of the finder wearing floopy bunny ears or threaten log deletion? Let me know, because I'll do it. :blink:

... Anyone just finding the Grand Finale and not signing the physical cache log will have their smiley removed.

Correct. No sign, no find.

I will be able to verify this even without checking the cache log, so don't try and finagle the finagler.

That's not true. If someone finds, unlocks and signs it without finding the previous caches, you are not allowed to delete the log.

Probably this is hard to achieve ... but never say impossible :blink:.

Or maybe someone simply doesn't want to log the previous finds and only log the final one ... he has the right to do so.

Just my opinion.

Unless I'm missing something, what part of this makes it an ALR? :blink:

Anyone just finding the Grand Finale and not signing the physical cache log will have their smiley removed.

As far as I know, signing the physical cache log is a requirement to get the smiley, and the cache owner has every right (if he so desires) to delete online logs that don't have a corresponding physical cache log signed. The CO can NOT delete online logs if the cache log is signed.

That said, if someone was so determined to get the smiley without getting the other 3, and accidentally stumbled upon the final, I suppose he could crack / break the lock open and sign the log inside the cache.

I would hope not though.

--edited for clarity

Edited by DadOf6Furrballs

I agree, I think you have a skewed idea of what an ALR is. Requiring somebody to sign the log is not an ALR. Putting locks on the cache is not an ALR.

Back to the OP, I wouldn't put so much description about your final. You want it to be evil? Make it a surprise. I also agree with the point made earlier about the second paragraph, it's a little like you're speaking to a third grader.

I'm not sure that the use of a padlock shim to open the final would be against the rules... It wouldn't harm the lock and it wouldn't require visits to the other caches. So, a final that was logged after the cache log was signed would be valid.

I would just remove the reference to "I will know without even checking the cache"

That second paragraph definitely comes off as condescending. You might want to replace it with something a lot simpler like "This cache involves a hike over XXXXXX Terrain, please be prepared for that before you start." I'm sorry, but I wouldn't rush out and purchase a bandanna for this cache.

Z.

@ ncfinn: Actually I would recommend going commando. It would add to the experience of "roughing it" :blink:

As for the other suggestions: I will reword the safety bit. It was mainly aimed at the younger cachers and those that like to bring children along for the adventure. I try to make all of mine family friendly, but I wanted a few for the more advanced cachers that preferred something with a higher difficulty level. If they manage to to figure out the combination (or are given it by another successful cacher :D ) they can get the smiley as long as their name is in the logbook. That is my only requirement really. Just the name in the log book. It can even be as a co-finder.

If they manage to to figure out the combination (or are given it by another successful cacher :blink: ) they can get the smiley as long as their name is in the logbook. That is my only requirement really. Just the name in the log book. It can even be as a co-finder.

Then it is not an ALR.

I was thinking that even if you required cachers to find the other caches before logging the final it would have been a challenge cache and therefore permitted. However the Groundspeak knowledgebook says the following:

Requiring cachers to find an explicit list of caches (rather than a broader category of caches) will likely prevent publication of the cache listing.

Using a challenge cache to promote one’s own caches will likely prevent publication of the cache listing.

Edited safety paragraph:

For those that are unfamiliar, basic trail safety says that you should let someone know where you are going before going hiking. In other words, the general location of where you would be on a map. This is in case you break a bone or are knocked unconscious. Also have a FRS radio or reliable cell phone. Bring at least a 1 quart or 1 liter bottle of water. Have a walking stick or pole to help keep your balance and to fend off over curious or hostile creatures. Wear appropriate clothing for the weather and always a hat and/ or bandana. Hiking boots with socks are preferable over sandals. And the most important is to know your limits. It is better to be humble and alive, than bold and broken, or dead.

Edited twist paragraph:

There is a twist to the last three challenges and the Grand Finale that was intentionally not anounced. Each of the hard difficulty caches will be a micro with only a log and a number to the combination lock of the Grand Finale cache. You read correctly. The Grand Finale is not just a puzzle cache but also a locked cache. To get the three number combination you must complete the three previous Hard difficulty Sudoku puzzles AND find the micro caches to get the combination AND solve the Grand Finale puzzle to locate the final cache and use the combination. Finding the Grand Finale cache and not unlocking it does not allow you to log it as a a find. Anyone just finding the Grand Finale and not signing the physical cache log will not be awarded a smiley. This is to ensure participation and also to add a little more challenge to the "Challenge." As stated in the text of every previous challenge page, the Grand Finale will be Diabolical difficulty. I didn't just mean the difficulty of the puzzle either. The location of the Grand Finale will have no attributes or hints to give it away.