Radio 4 Programme - Calling All Cachers

The presenter Ian Peacock and I are making a programme for BBC Radio 4 about geocaching, and I would like to hear from people who are passionate about it.

Perhaps you’re an urban geo-cacher, or maybe you prefer the more physically challenging searches up mountains or at sea. Do you pursue your hobby in groups, or are you in competition for the number of caches you find? Maybe you’re chasing a record? Perhaps you’ve met with suspicion or hostility from people who didn’t know what you were up to. Do any of you use the software for your business? If you have outspoken opinions, interesting stories, or you know someone who is a bit of an eccentric who would share their wild enthusiasm for geo-caching, then we’d like to hear from them, and you! We're hoping to give Radio 4 listeners something different - people whose voices and ideas we would like to hear more of, the less predictable the better.

Please email sarah.langan@bbc.co.uk

Thank you very much

Hi !

Many years ago when I ws a GP in East London I was asked to take part in a Radio 4 programme.

It was awsome and the best part was the sound effects!

I could not belive the effort the recording guys went to to get the sounds just right.

Now I am more in the demographics for a Radio 4 listener and it is really lovely to know the care that is taken in producing the programmes.

Good luck with the programme.

Hi !

Many years ago when I ws a GP in East London I was asked to take part in a Radio 4 programme.

It was awsome and the best part was the sound effects!

I could not belive the effort the recording guys went to to get the sounds just right.

Now I am more in the demographics for a Radio 4 listener and it is really lovely to know the care that is taken in producing the programmes.

Good luck with the programme.

Have you read through this thread yet? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...248727&st=0

It's about the newly established Geocaching UK Podcast. I'd get into contact with the presenter/producer/webmaster/genius of that podcast, as he'll probably have some contacts which may be willing to contribute, as indeed he might also be. The user is Cornell Finch, and he has some wacky trousers. But don't worry, cos it's not TV...

We went through the basics of creating a membership on geocaching.com, how to search for caches in an area, how to start up a little yellow Etrex a put the numbers in... then headed off towards "The Yellow Banana Bridge". We discovered that one big problem with Bristol caching on a Sunday afternoon is finding a parking space! Ambled along to the bridge with Ian watching the arrow and the numbers and Sarah wielding tape recorder and microphone...

With some concerns about what passing muggles would think about 4 people fondling a iron bridge, Ian decided to get in head first for some serious metalwork examination with the exclamation, "I'm a bridge inspector!" to a passing pedestrian.

Job done, cache found, he signed the log. (We didn't, we forgot. :D )

I just hope he remembers to get his on-line logging up to date. ;)

We also went along to "Scooba Doo" but couldn't realistically search for the cache due to muggle density - It seemed half of Bristol was there picnicing, BBQing, selling stuff, playing music - all a great, vibrant atmosphere but not good caching conditions. It served well to illustrate that, when it comes to geocaching, "sometimes you just have to walk away."

Any cachers in the Swindon area have the opportunity to meet the Radio4 Duo at "Swindon Soirees" on Wednesday evening (16th June).

MrsB

Have you read through this thread yet? http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...248727&st=0

It's about the newly established Geocaching UK Podcast. I'd get into contact with the presenter/producer/webmaster/genius of that podcast, as he'll probably have some contacts which may be willing to contribute, as indeed he might also be. The user is Cornell Finch, and he has some wacky trousers. But don't worry, cos it's not TV...

Thank you very much!!

The presenter Ian Peacock and I are making a programme for BBC Radio 4 about geocaching, and I would like to hear from people who are passionate about it.

Perhaps you’re an urban geo-cacher, or maybe you prefer the more physically challenging searches up mountains or at sea. Do you pursue your hobby in groups, or are you in competition for the number of caches you find? Maybe you’re chasing a record? Perhaps you’ve met with suspicion or hostility from people who didn’t know what you were up to. Do any of you use the software for your business? If you have outspoken opinions, interesting stories, or you know someone who is a bit of an eccentric who would share their wild enthusiasm for geo-caching, then we’d like to hear from them, and you! We're hoping to give Radio 4 listeners something different - people whose voices and ideas we would like to hear more of, the less predictable the better.

Thank you very much

Too late now, but it would have been nice to introduce the radio 4 listener to a few 'extremes'

That would have been good for radio, you can hear fear can't you ?

It may not be too late. Sarah and Ian will be collecting material/interviews/experiences for the programme until the beginning of July. Please contact her if you've got any ideas - I'm sure they'd love to find out about some more extreme caches - Perhaps you could even take them along to try one?

(Remember, they are both brand new to the game so try not to scare them off too soon :lol: )

MrsB :lol:

Thank you very much

Radio 4 were at the Geocachers meeting at The Three Blackbirds event, Wednesday 7th July 2010. Does anyone know yet, when this programme will be aired?

Thank you very much

Radio 4 were at the Geocachers meeting at The Three Blackbirds event, Wednesday 7th July 2010. Does anyone know yet, when this programme will be aired?

Friday morning, 23rd July, either 11:00 or 11:30 (I can''t remember exactly)

MrsB

Thank you very much

Friday morning, 23rd July, either 11:00 or 11:30 (I can''t remember exactly)

MrsB

Hello

Yes, I'm truly grateful to everyone who has been so friendly and open about their caching experiences. I am editing the material now and it will be broadcast on Radio 4 at 11 a.m on 23 July, and you can listen to it for a week after that on iplayer. I'll perhaps post another reminder at the time.

thanks again all

sarah

It will be interesting to hear, hope you include something about geocaching not just being for superfit / able bodied types, there are many people who partake with mobility impairments and some who partake to maintain / gain fitness after ill health.

Geocache ratings often reflect the cache suitability - not just for wheelchair users but those with stamina issues too.

Hello

By the way, I know it's not normal practice to promote a cache like this through the forums but can I put out a bit of SOS? Our cache 'Live From Ally Pally' is now in place, and we're looking for as many logs as we can get before Thursday 15th, so if you're in the London area...

The log is a little unconventional!

thanks again everyone

There is a little preview on the BBC website -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t2xwm

Hmm, a little work required in the first part of that:

There are now over a million caches in the world, some that travel, some stationary - there's even one at the bottom of the Antarctlantic. It's a multi bmillion dollar industry that has got bmillions hooked. It's also pervasive - the tourism industry and educationalists are embracing it.

Ian begins his quest as a 'muggler' - a non-geocacher. So it's with some scepticism that he begins his first hunt for a cache. After all, he wonders, where's the challenge in finding something that you have been given the exact co-ordinates for? His first search takes him to a dingy bridge in Bristol. The cache reveals a slightly disappointing horde - a 10% discount sandwich voucher. But his geocaching mentors, whose handle is 'The Bloringersenges', try to convince him that's it's all about the journey, rather than the prize, and it's not long before Ian begins to get hooked.

There is a little preview on the BBC website -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t2xwm

Hmm, a little work required in the first part of that:

There are now over a million caches in the world, some that travel, some stationary - there's even one at the bottom of the Antarctlantic. It's a multi bmillion dollar industry that has got bmillions hooked. It's also pervasive - the tourism industry and educationalists are embracing it.

Ian begins his quest as a 'muggler' - a non-geocacher. So it's with some scepticism that he begins his first hunt for a cache. After all, he wonders, where's the challenge in finding something that you have been given the exact co-ordinates for? His first search takes him to a dingy bridge in Bristol. The cache reveals a slightly disappointing horde - a 10% discount sandwich voucher. But his geocaching mentors, whose handle is 'The Bloringersenges', try to convince him that's it's all about the journey, rather than the prize, and it's not long before Ian begins to get hooked.

Playing the grumpy old man card, just for a change ;) publicity's never proven to benefit caching in the past, and quotes like the one above aren't going to help either :lol:

Oh well - make the most of the secrecy you enjoy at the moment folks - as Syndrome so succinctly put it, "because when everybody's special....no one will be". This won't be half as much fun when every muggle knows exactly what we're doing in the bushes, and events take up the whole pub and not just the skittle alley :rolleyes::rolleyes:

While publicity and public recognition might help us when it is time to ask permission to setup caches, there is the little boy inside me who likes to keep it secret [:unsure:]. Just talking about it (and inviting friends for a trial run) seems to work well to get people interested to geocaching.

Hi. Just a reminder that the Radio 4 programme on geocaching goes out tomorrow at 11 a.m.

I wanted to thank everyone who took part. Ian and I were both made to feel so welcome to the game, and we're both very grateful for the patience in the face of our newby ineptitude! I am really sorry that so many of the recordings we made did not end up in the final programme. We had such a lot of good material that we reluctantly had to lose quite a bit.

Many thanks to The Blorenges who gave us such a great introduction to the game, and also to Dr Solly, Cache U Nutter, Woppy& Jules, Geocachingwomble, and to Dave Ulmer. Thanks to all the people who spoke to me at the Swindon Soiree and the Three Blackbirds event in Newport - again, sorry for not being able to include these recordings in the programme. Thanks too to all those who left messages on our audiocache. My colleagues in BBC Technology will hopefully be airing some of those messages online, after the programme has been broadcast. Ian will also be writing something about his experiences which you can read after the programme has gone out, by following a link from the programme's homepage. Cache in Pocket

I really hope we have done some justice to the game. I think we could have gone on for much longer and still only scratched the surface.

Thanks. Sarah and Ian (aka PipandSpats and Bollycat)

An interesting program. This is the program webpage which has the link that I think was refered to at the end of the program for more information..... only it doesn't seem to work at the moment :laughing:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I had to try the link a couple of times before it worked, but I have just got through to it. Don't know why - perhaps it's volume of traffic

A muggle rang us to give notice of the Programme this morning so we were able tune in and record.

We thought this was a well presented and compiled view of Geocaching and certainly one of the best media coverages in recent months.

Good to hear Alan taking part and gave him a call and he had not been aware of the broadcast time.

Tried link but as Graculus says not working yet.

Thank you very much

There is a clear interest in listening to this programme again. Perhaps the BBC could explain if the programme will be made available through the BBC iplayer and when, but if not, why not.

Thanks

Edited by Bikehog
There is a clear interest in listening to this programme again. Perhaps the BBC could explain if the programme will be made available through the BBC iplayer and when, but if not, why not.

This explains why some programmes never make it to the iPlayer. Basically it's all to do with licensing and rights clearance.

[eta] This page gives more and suggests that actually, it's some other hold up and it should be there eventually. The show's iPlayer page does have the 'coming soon' tag...

Edited by JeremyR

I caught this program by chance and thought it was very good.

I'd never heard of geocaching before, but it convinced me to go out, buy a GPS, and give it a try!

Had a fantastic day with the kids yesterday exploring places we didn't know existed, and can't wait to get out again.

Many thanks to everyone involved in making this program and introducing us to the world of geocaching!

This explains why some programmes never make it to the iPlayer. Basically it's all to do with licensing and rights clearance.

[eta] This page gives more and suggests that actually, it's some other hold up and it should be there eventually. The show's iPlayer page does have the 'coming soon' tag...

Hello. Pleased to say that the technical gremlins have finally been fixed and the programme is now available on iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t2xwm

Very sorry for the delay

Hello. Pleased to say that the technical gremlins have finally been fixed and the programme is now available on iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t2xwm

Very sorry for the delay

Oh no they have'nt !

Still technical problems according to message on site !

Very sorry for the delay

Oh no they have'nt !

Still technical problems according to message on site !

errm I and from what I've seen from several sources listened to it this afternoon try clicking http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t2xwm then listen now