Map issue: cache "created by" not true for adopted caches

apfelmaus

Just a small thing, but somehow I find it odd:

When you click on a cache on the Geocaching.com map the little popup window comes up and it says regarding to the owner of the cache: "Created by:" cacher's nick. Now that simply isn't true if the cache was transferred or adopted because then obviously it was originally created not by the current owner but by somebody else. Couldn't it just say "By:" instead of "Created by:" which would be much more neutral?

Normally this is no big deal and of course the credit should go to the person(s) who maintain the cache. But about a month ago a local cacher died and his caches were adopted by other cachers of the area, to preserve his memory. So when I clicked on one of his caches and saw "created by:" whoever adopted the cache, that somehow didn't strike the right cord with me.

Cache owners can put what ever they want in that field. Clicking the link will still take you to the (current) owner's profile. Many who have adopted caches leave the original name and add their own, as in- Created by: Cacher A, adopted by Cacher B.

Cache owners can put what ever they want in that field. Clicking the link will still take you to the (current) owner's profile. Many who have adopted caches leave the original name and add their own, as in- Created by: Cacher A, adopted by Cacher B.

That is true when you call up the complete cache listing (and has been done in the Case I described), on the popup window it just gives you the name of cache owner as it appears in the account.

This happens (fairly) often. Most always when the CO passes.

In order to PROPERLY adopt a cache it must be done through Groundspeak, and have the original CO's explicit blessing and/or confirmation. You gotta admit, it is tough to get cooperation from a person that has passed!

Many do not seem to realize this and "unofficially adopt" a cache. Resulting in inabilities to clear maintenance issues and other updates are always messed up in these cases.