Explorist GC or....

I am looking to go fully paperless with one unit. I have been running with an etrex since starting and I am very intrigued with the Magellan due to to its huge amount of stored caches. We tend to travel across country in the summers and It would be nice to store huge amounts around our route so I could grab caches wherever without having to connect to the computer again.

That said I am also interested in viewpoints on the Dakota 10 and the Colorado.

I can get 400i from amazon for about the same price and I know its more feature rich, but specifically how would they compare for paperless only?

One thing I am confused about is the total number of caches both the dakota and colorado hold. The colorado holds 2000 geocaches and 200 gpx files..

Does that mean that you could manipulate the loaded gpx files from a card to effectively carry more unloaded caches with you?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Does that mean that you could manipulate the loaded gpx files from a card to effectively carry more unloaded caches with you?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Nope. The unit has no file managment capabilities. You get to load up to 2000 caches spread across up to 200 GPX files.

However, you can load your 2000 max on separate cards and insert them as needed. I kept hoping these limits would be increased with newer firmware - obviously - it just isn't going to happen.

The GC, on the other hand is said to support 10,000 Caches, not counting duplicates*

Depends if you want a device that just does Geocaching or something that does a lot more (Garmin Colorado/Dakota) for a bit more money.

*If you have Pocket Queries with overlapping radius, duplicate Caches are eliminated.

Edited by breaultm