Facebook connection now means I cannot use cache pages in teaching my classes...

Mukmuk the Marmot

All this talk about a work around for something that Groundspeak implemented. What's wild is it appears the attitude here is, "Well, Groundspeak put it there and if we don't want it then we have to find out a way to remove it on our own." Which, really sums it up, anyway.

How about if Groundspeak adds a little tick to the user file that gives the option of "Include FaceBook 'like' button." Let the user decide and move on. Why does Groundspeak think the proper way to approach anything is force something on someone regardless of whether they want it or will ever use it?

How about if they have a check box for *everything* on the cache page. Then you can get just what you want and nothing you don't. Just think, no more long descriptions, no more logs, attributes? who needs attitributes.

All this talk about a work around for something that Groundspeak implemented. What's wild is it appears the attitude here is, "Well, Groundspeak put it there and if we don't want it then we have to find out a way to remove it on our own." Which, really sums it up, anyway.

There are already different threads screaming at Groundspeak to remove it. By all means join in those threads.

Some other threads are dedicated to working around problems. Perhaps Groundspeak will remove it or make it configurable. Perhaps not. Even if they do, it will take some time to do it.

I don't see what's so wild about trying to solve a problem from our end while other efforts are going on. Certainly less so than sulking, screaming, ranting or threatening geocide over a feature we don't like.

There are already different threads screaming at Groundspeak to remove it. By all means join in those threads.

Some other threads are dedicated to working around problems. Perhaps Groundspeak will remove it or make it configurable. Perhaps not. Even if they do, it will take some time to do it.

Bruce's fix seems to be simple and quick to configure, shouldn't take much time to make the fix and satisfy both camps. It would be nice to hear from Groundspeak about what they intend to do (leave it as is or make it optional) it would stop the increased stress levels and bickering.

Bruce's fix seems to be simple and quick to configure, shouldn't take much time to make the fix and satisfy both camps. It would be nice to hear from Groundspeak about what they intend to do (leave it as is or make it optional) it would stop the increased stress levels and bickering.

There's no doubt it is one of the best solution and easy to implement. It is also true that this particular solution is (mostly) out of our control. And even if it gets changed at the next site update (end of the month?) it will be too late to do the OP any good.

Someone from another site has listed these steps to bypass a blocked site (not created for this particular case, he was responding to another post about accessing blocked sites at work):

1. Setup dynamic DNS for on your home computer.

2. install cygwin

3. install openssh

3. install privoxy but do not forward the ports for privoxy on your router

4. find a port not blocked by your work, such as 80, etc and forward that on your router as your ssh port

5. download putty on school computer

6. connect to your ssh server and setup a tunnel on your privoxy port to the local ip of the computer running privoxy

It'll take some work to get everything functioning properly, especially if you're not tech savvy.

Someone from another site has listed these steps to bypass a blocked site (not created for this particular case, he was responding to another post about accessing blocked sites at work):

1. Setup dynamic DNS for on your home computer.

2. install cygwin

3. install openssh

3. install privoxy but do not forward the ports for privoxy on your router

4. find a port not blocked by your work, such as 80, etc and forward that on your router as your ssh port

5. download putty on school computer

6. connect to your ssh server and setup a tunnel on your privoxy port to the local ip of the computer running privoxy

It'll take some work to get everything functioning properly, especially if you're not tech savvy.

You are making some big assumptions, like that they can do ssh, or that they can even install software (good chance that not only do they not have admin rights, but that there are policies and restrictions on the machine). You are also teaching to flagrantly ignore and go around school policy and security. I'm sure any parent would see the good in teaching their kids values like this.

Nor should we be.. this factor has no bearing on experience level.

You're quite correct.

However IMO, it has a ton to do with credibility and/or believability.

Not that that matters.

Well I certainly believe many school districts will ban GC.Com because of the connection to Facebook. My old district banned Google, Yahoo, and Ebay a few years ago.

You're quite correct.

Not that that matters.

Well I certainly believe many school districts will ban GC.Com because of the connection to Facebook. My old district banned Google, Yahoo, and Ebay a few years ago.

Was your district's technology department also staffed by incompetent nincompoops?

You're quite correct.

Not that that matters.

Was your district's technology department also staffed by incompetent nincompoops?

The staff was OK, but the supervisor learned his people skills in a government job and his technology from old issues of Popular Mechanics.

You're quite correct.

Not that that matters.

The staff was OK, but the supervisor learned his people skills in a government job and his technology from old issues of Popular Mechanics.

That really explains a lot. It's hopeless.

Edited by Team Cotati

You're quite correct.

Not that that matters.

You have quite a few less finds than I do. Some how I really don't think you have much credibility or believability.

Here is an Idea, Buy a cheap laptop and get an air card. That way you cannot get Fired for going around school policy. Also Just because the students don't know the specifics does not mean they do not know what you are doing is wrong. If you cannot get the district to fix the blocking so it only blocks the portion of the site that is meant to be blocked then this should be your solution.