Wandering GPS

About three weeks ago I bought a Garmin GPSmap 60CSX. And up until a few days ago I would have said it was fantastic, it knocked the socks off my Etrex.

The last three days though have not been good. Suddenly it seems all over the place. I can stand in one place and it will change it's mind repeatedly about where the co-ordinates are, but as much as 90 degrees or even more. Distance as well, by around 40 feet. One mintue you are on GZ, the next you are 40 foot off and it's in yet another direction. This is without tree cover.

Is it me, is it the weather, or do I have a defective GPS. How do I find out if I have a defective GPS?

Any advice gratefully received.

Maybe a reset helps, or did you change the lat/lon format.

Some people with a Oregon and Waas active complain about huge errors sometimes.

(should be a software problem, but you never know) Deactivate the Waas.

Go back to the cache that went so well (GZ) see if it still works.

One mintue you are on GZ, the next you are 40 foot off

Reading this statement in the OP, I have to ask... What is it that you consider GZ?

If you are calling Ground Zero to be the cache itself, then this may well be your problem.

Ground Zero is considered to be a circle approx. 20 - 40' in diameter. Once you are at GZ, most any (commercial grade) GPSr is going to start going nutz, most notably with direction, less so with distance.

If you are within that 20 - 40' circle, it's time to put the GPSr away and start looking at something other than your hand holding it! You are far better off searching for the cache at that point than trying to have the GPSr show it to you. You can rely on it getting you to GZ, you cannot rely on it getting you AT the cache.

Occasionally, your unit (no matter what brand/make) WILL run you straight to the cache, but sometimes all the stars and planets will line up just right, also. :)

EDIT ADD: This is noticeable in the forums when a person speaks about the "drunken bee dance". They are wandering about, looking at their unit run them this way, then that way, back again, then left, etc., etc.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Yes, I do realise that the GPS won't take me exactly there. I didn't explain myself well. I spend my time tellin my daughter that when she is using the etrex :-)

I can still be 20-40 feet away and start to get wild fluctuation. This means I don't know whether to go forward or turn right or even take a few steps backward. The overall circle probably has more like a 80 foot diameter.

I'll have to see how it goes, but it "feels" distinctly less accurate than it did a week ago.

I have also noticed a huge change in the accuracy and compass pointer jumping on my GSPmap 60CSx. I have calibrated the unit multiple times, changed the batteries, I use both rechargeable and alkaline and yet I still have a compass pointer switching 90 degrees the other direction, and casting me off 40 feet the other direction away from GZ then back.

The unit used to be pretty spot on in most cases with a good accuracy, now my accuracy is diminished and often times I find my unit cannot get a clear reading to GZ