Trading art?

Just wondering what other cachers think of this;

I'm an artist, and often make small one-of-a-kind keychains, ACEO/ATC cards, etc.

Was wondering if anyone thinks they'd make good trade items. (: Some things I make, like origami stars are quite small and can fit nicely even in smaller caches; bit of a laminate, and they're weather-proof. (And make great beads for jewelry, actually.)

I'm wondering for ACEO/ATC cards, especially, since they're one-of-a-kind trade items.

ATCEO/ATC cards

When I get around to finally placing a cache, I was thinking of putting a few one-of-a-kinds in any cache I place. Not sure how much interest there'd even be for such a thing, though. I love finding eclectic things in caches, haha. There was a gorgeous hand-made knot-work bracelet in one of the caches I found. (:

I rarely trade but when I do it's for cool little things. The things I trade for usually aren't worth much.

I have a weird need to obtain action figures, so when I find them I trade for them.

The only other thing I trade for and like more, is handmade stuff.

The idea that someone made something specifically to place in a cache that they were proud of is very cool in my books.

It isn't often I find hand made stuff but when I do I always trade for it. Always with something good.

I like action figures, sig items but handmade stuff is the best.

Unless you wanna place $100 bills in caches... I'd go for those also.

:)

would love it! Of course it wouldn't hurt if you attached a note explaining what it is so that people can see the real value - and put it in a baggie to keep it clean

I agree. Good advice about the baggie. I'll add...protect your cards from water damage by using a good watertight container like a real lock n lock (the tabs last years without breaking off and compromising the seal) or ammo can.

It sounds like something I'd love to find. I've never found anything handmade, but I would trade for a lot of the items I've seen here if I came across them. Do you have any pictures to share?

We've placed about 2 dozen hand painted wooden nickels in caches. They were painted by Wolf's Song (who is not quite 3) so they are abstract. LOL I stamp the back side and print his "name" on them. Then I clear coat them to seal them. The first couple I just left, but then I printed out a business card with info about him and a picture of one of his finger paintings on it. I placed both in a plastic baggie and put them in caches. Now I wish I'd numbered the cards. I'm running out and he's being stubborn… I mean temperamental. 2 weeks ago he painted about 8 and then he tossed them in his water bowl. Now he’s in the paint slinging stage, where he thinks it’s fun to make splatters on everything, including the floors and the TV. So we had to give the paints a timeout. I’m hoping this week we will have better luck. I don’t’ care so much if he paints the nickels, just so long as he paints on things he’s allowed to paint on. Maybe all artists are like that? I’ll have to start keeping my eye on cachers who have signature items I like just incase they come to my neck of the woods. (Or I go to theirs.) Hope you will share a pic.

I'm an artist, and often make small one-of-a-kind keychains, ACEO/ATC cards, etc.

Was wondering if anyone thinks they'd make good trade items. (: Some things I make, like origami stars are quite small and can fit nicely even in smaller caches; bit of a laminate, and they're weather-proof. (And make great beads for jewelry, actually.)

I'm wondering for ACEO/ATC cards, especially, since they're one-of-a-kind trade items.

ATCEO/ATC cards

When I get around to finally placing a cache, I was thinking of putting a few one-of-a-kinds in any cache I place. Not sure how much interest there'd even be for such a thing, though. I love finding eclectic things in caches, haha. There was a gorgeous hand-made knot-work bracelet in one of the caches I found. (:

I was actually thinking of making some stamp art swag for some caches. I wish I saw more caches that had handmade pieces.

ATCEO/ATC cards

I was actually thinking of making some stamp art swag for some caches. I wish I saw more caches that had handmade pieces.

What you worry?

I would LOVE to find those in a cache. I love the handmade items, and they are SO rare. I have both hand made, and store bought swag in my cache bag. I leave the store bought for stuff my 5 yr old trades for and the handmade for anything I might trade for. Also if a cache is pathetic in the swag dept, I might leave a handmade item :angry:

Also second placing them in a baggie with a note and your ID.

I hope people will write in the log that they enjoyed your handmade item. I've been watching some of the logs I've placed stuff in and no response yet.

I hope people will write in the log that they enjoyed your handmade item. I've been watching some of the logs I've placed stuff in and no response yet.

Yes, that happens to me too. It seems that the trend is that people don't tend to write in the logs what they took and left (when I first started in 2001/2002 it was the norm). This year, I have had a couple of cachers email me to thank me for (or ask questions about) the item I left.

Yes, that happens to me too. It seems that the trend is that people don't tend to write in the logs what they took and left (when I first started in 2001/2002 it was the norm). This year, I have had a couple of cachers email me to thank me for (or ask questions about) the item I left.

Even when I started in 2006 it seemed like it was the norm for people to write what they took and what they left... you're right, it's sort of falling out of practice. We post what we take and what we don't, always thought it was pretty courteous.

They almost sound like sigitems to me!

Signature items are a confusing area. DIfficult to sometimes know if you have found a sigitem, and difficult to know what you do with them. Sigitems are generally considered collectible rather than tradeable. And they don't have to be left for the cache owner. Some cache owners do like to collect them but others aren't bothered.

There are topics dedicated to sigitems, the making of them, protocols for leaving them etc.

My avatar is one version of my (very) handmade sigitem.

Edited by Merlin-K

I recently created a cache that I filled with my own handmade art items and I hope it will encourage people to trade for other handmade or artistic items... however when I last checked on it, no one had taken a single thing from it. There's a lot of crappy swag around here and I think the trend is to TNLN... I wish there were more cool handmade items! I make clay coin sig items to drop in caches that I visit but so far have gotten no feedback on them.

A note on protecting signature items in a plastic bag. I have found the grocery store sandwich bags don't last a very long time. I use 4 mill plastic bags similar to the ones found here: 4mil bags. They come in many sizes and protect items that could be damaged. Get the 4 mil bags only, they will be worth the hassle of obtaining them.