Transluscent color sample coin.

anne.and.eli

i am one of those that thinks the glows are NOT necessary, nor are the words for the numbers. those will obscure the textures underneath.

the textures need to be really easy to see. a nice clean design is what is going to help people see what they need to see regarding translucent enamels and metal choices.

the slices going all the way to the edge will give each colour a little more "acreage." i would want to see how the enamels look up to the metal at the edge of the coin and not necessarily how they will look up to a circle of black. black translucent doesn't really look like a solid black, more like brown.

if the object of this great idea is to show us colours, textures and metals, the more simple the design the better.

on one of the coin-making sites, i think i have seen the pie-slice round coin with the textures. i don't think that is a unique idea but is an excellent way to see how the enamels fit into a metal frame.

my 2¢

rsg

The words are there to show what it looks like with a half-raised area underneath the color. The plan was not to use the 12 different texture types like the texture wheel, but to instead just show what the transluscents looked like with all the same texture, and some half-raised area. My hope is that won't be too cluttered.

There is a metal band beyond each of the trans. areas so you can see what they look like against the metal. The outter band is black enamel, not transluscent. That is because white and black are both often used and it's nice to see how they look with each of the metals as well. (For instance, black nickel against black has a unique look.)

As for the glows, I don't think it's even possible to do, I just made that design because Pete wanted to see what his mint would say if he gave them the design. I will likely remove the circles and go back to just transluscents.

i am one of those that thinks the glows are NOT necessary, nor are the words for the numbers. those will obscure the textures underneath.

the textures need to be really easy to see. a nice clean design is what is going to help people see what they need to see regarding translucent enamels and metal choices.

the slices going all the way to the edge will give each colour a little more "acreage." i would want to see how the enamels look up to the metal at the edge of the coin and not necessarily how they will look up to a circle of black. black translucent doesn't really look like a solid black, more like brown.

if the object of this great idea is to show us colours, textures and metals, the more simple the design the better.

on one of the coin-making sites, i think i have seen the pie-slice round coin with the textures. i don't think that is a unique idea but is an excellent way to see how the enamels fit into a metal frame.

my 2¢

rsg

The words are there to show what it looks like with a half-raised area underneath the color. The plan was not to use the 12 different texture types like the texture wheel, but to instead just show what the transluscents looked like with all the same texture, and some half-raised area. My hope is that won't be too cluttered.

There is a metal band beyond each of the trans. areas so you can see what they look like against the metal. The outter band is black enamel, not transluscent. That is because white and black are both often used and it's nice to see how they look with each of the metals as well. (For instance, black nickel against black has a unique look.)

As for the glows, I don't think it's even possible to do, I just made that design because Pete wanted to see what his mint would say if he gave them the design. I will likely remove the circles and go back to just transluscents.

I think we'll be good without the glow. I am reading that one of the sites that makes small coins with holes in them is doing a sampler of the soft enamels and glow enamels. So if you get that, and these coins, you should have some good design tools.

Yes, without me even knowing, we are making small little round metal swag items with holes into a soft enamel kit :blink: Showing off all the glows, glitters, and soft enamels on them. Feel free to email me about them, because I can't obviously discuss it here. So really the IHE is what is hanging out there.

I still like the idea of the little glow dots on the coin, but they might be totally unnecessary, who knows. But I strongly suggest something, if even a small numeral instead of all those words, be under the IHE. One, to clarify what color is what, and two, to see the half raised effect.

TMA

... But I strongly suggest something, if even a small numeral instead of all those words, be under the IHE. One, to clarify what color is what, and two, to see the half raised effect.

TMA

that sounds like a good idea. the numeral doesn't have to be tiny, big enough to show the effect, but not so busy as words.

i am unclear as to why you are going to go with just one texture? i thought the purpose was to show textures and enamels. i suppose people can imagine what different textures would look like based on one. but if the option is there to show more, i would love to see that. if the mints have a die of that pie chart already, could it be modified to your design and then you wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel or pie. :blink:

rsg

There is a metal band beyond each of the trans. areas so you can see what they look like against the metal. The outter band is black enamel, not transluscent. That is because white and black are both often used and it's nice to see how they look with each of the metals as well. (For instance, black nickel against black has a unique look.)..

gotcha, that sounds cool.

i am unclear as to why you are going to go with just one texture? i thought the purpose was to show textures and enamels. i suppose people can imagine what different textures would look like based on one. but if the option is there to show more, i would love to see that. if the mints have a die of that pie chart already, could it be modified to your design and then you wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel or pie. :ph34r:

rsg

I agree in not using texture.

If you want to compare the colors against each other you would have to have the same background on each color.

One option if you would like different textures is to devide each pieslice in two - one with texture and one with no texture

transglow3.jpg

I have to say I really liked this version of the coin, it´s more colourful, which i like a lot...

To me the written words look great too, although I do not know how those would turn out in reality... It´s a really nice feature, that u should keep...

Just my two cents (Non-designer)

The mint has spoken: No glows. So that solves that conundrum. :blink:

Going to send them the non-glow version and see what they say!

I've been lurking, just wanting to post that I'm interested in these too. Also since it has to be trackable to be on the forums (I think?) you could just side engrave tracking on 1 coin, once purchased it comes with 5 bonus swag/coins in a set ;)!

And I'd rather that outter rim be raised metal (since you can't use glow anyways right)? More area to see the trans by metal, so basically post 36 is my preference!

Also, you could keep some dots on that edge and press them "down" too, to show how the different metals look in an area down pressed in metal (copper vs. antique copper for example, the antique'ing will fill that down area with blackish stuff). Just a thought!

Edited by Zelanzy

I've been reading this thread with much interest. I have a set of the enamel translucent and glow boards at home, as well as a pantone color chart, but seeing them actually on the different metal finishes would be extremely helpful. I would be very happy if this coin were produced, and would be interested in a set that included every finish.

Nice job Anne!!!

I like the idea, but the problem arises that every color is going to look different dependent on the particular pattern under it. I've used the same enamels with different patterns and depths to change the color value/luminance. What about doing concentric rings of different patterns?

I would love it if we would skip the textures. Trying to do each color, with each texture is going to make this project too big to afford, or the sample areas too small to be useful.

I like the idea, but the problem arises that every color is going to look different dependent on the particular pattern under it. I've used the same enamels with different patterns and depths to change the color value/luminance. What about doing concentric rings of different patterns?

I would love it if we would skip the textures. Trying to do each color, with each texture is going to make this project too big to afford, or the sample areas too small to be useful.

I was thinking more along the lines of 1 light texture, 1 medium texture and 1 dark in concentric rings just to give a closer approximation. This coin is a really good idea regardless :)

LOL Joni.. that's exactly why I didn't do it!

~J

Yeh, gotta skip the textures. Just keep it simple. The 24 pieces of pie that show the translucents over the metal with recessed area is the "must have", anything else is a "nice to have".

Zel

I'm waiting to hear back from the mint about this project without the glows.

I am considering doing half no texture, half with texture #4 or something similar (each pie piece would be half and half, in the concentric circle idea). Any more than that and I think it will be too much going on to be a useful tool.

How important is it to people that this be a trackable coin? Obviously if it's not, we wouldn't be able to advertise the coin here.

This isn't a cheap coin to produce, and making it trackable would raise the cost more than $1.50 per coin.

Thoughts?

Careful, if it is not trackable, don't even think TPTB will let you discuss it here. :)

How important is it to people that this be a trackable coin? Obviously if it's not, we wouldn't be able to advertise the coin here.

This isn't a cheap coin to produce, and making it trackable would raise the cost more than $1.50 per coin.

Thoughts?

Careful, if it is not trackable, don't even think TPTB will let you discuss it here. :)

It can be discussed, just not sold or advertised for sale here. Either way... I want a set.

~J

Thoughts?

I don't think it is important that it be trackable. In fact, I hope it isn't. It is a design tool, not something I want to add to my collection.

I think I was the first to mention trackability, and by no means is it very important to me. It might be cool in some ways, and it obviously becomes a lot easier to sell (by making advertising here available) if it is.

However: As this coin is very much about helping increase the number of geocoins by providing a design reference, even if it's not trackable, is there a chance we could get information on obtaining it (when it is known) stickied, with TPTB fully involved?

Edited by Mekle

I agree with others - trackable is not very important to me.

I am very interested in this as well and hope it comes to fruition.

Yes, perhaps an exception can be made about listing it for sale here (if it's not trackable) since it is more a tool for making MORE GEOCOINS! :)

I am working on some pricing but will not be posting anything until after GeoWoodstock. I can tell you that withe 12 colors on each side this might be one of the most expensive coins I have made in awhile.

I am planning to offer on a reservations program like normal. Provided I get 100 coins reserved then the coin will be made. I will be offereing a trackaable version and provided I get 50 of those reserved, there will be a trackable version.

Price and info will be on my site on or about July 11.

Mike

edited for... What platings would you like to see? gold, silver, antique gold, antique silver are usually the basics, I could add copper and antique copper if people wanted them also. Trackable version will most likely be 1 of these version only.

Edited by CacheAddict.com

Thoughts?

I don't think it is important that it be trackable. In fact, I hope it isn't. It is a design tool, not something I want to add to my collection.

I have to agree with Joni here... not interested in a trackable version.

As far as platings, a full array of platings to show off the metal/color groups would definitely be useful to me. Nickel is preferred to Silver in my opinion, but that's me. I'd be in for a full set if reasonably priced. Otherwise, a photo collection will do for me just fine! LOL

~J

I have to agree with Joni here... not interested in a trackable version.

As far as platings, a full array of platings to show off the metal/color groups would definitely be useful to me. Nickel is preferred to Silver in my opinion, but that's me. I'd be in for a full set if reasonably priced. Otherwise, a photo collection will do for me just fine! LOL

~J

+1 on nickel over silver.

To me it's a just a "must have" to have this in 2 metals:

1. A "cool-colored" plating: nickel, silver, chrome

2. A "warm-colored" plating: copper, brass, gold

The variations between the cool (and warm) platings can be adjusted for in the head (same with antiquing). Of course I'd prefer a bunch but really just 1 plating form each of those groups would work for me.

Edited by Zelanzy

Thanks for posting the info Mike. :huh:

Agree on nickel over silver.

I'd be interested in a black nickel, nickel, gold, and antique copper version as I think that covers the standard metals. :anicute:

I like the Nickel, Gold and Copper as standards...

Translucents on Black Nickel just dont work. A good example of that is the "Cacher Geocoin" in BN - Since there were like 5000 versions of that done, you can figure it out for yourselves - JMHO.

~J

Thanks for posting the info Mike. :huh:

Agree on nickel over silver.

I'd be interested in a black nickel, nickel, gold, and antique copper version as I think that covers the standard metals. :anicute:

I like the Nickel, Gold and Copper as standards...

Translucents on Black Nickel just dont work. A good example of that is the "Cacher Geocoin" in BN - Since there were like 5000 versions of that done, you can figure it out for yourselves - JMHO.

~J

It really depends on how they do the finishing. My personal coin looks like it was plated first and then the enamels were applied. So the translucents came out REALLY dark. But my Discover Your World coins in black nickel are bright under the translucents. Almost like they did the enameling first and then applied the black nickel finish (don't know if that is possible).

Might also be the difference between soft enamel translucents and soft cloisonne translucents.

It really depends on how they do the finishing. My personal coin looks like it was plated first and then the enamels were applied. So the translucents came out REALLY dark. But my Discover Your World coins in black nickel are bright under the translucents. Almost like they did the enameling first and then applied the black nickel finish (don't know if that is possible).

Might also be the difference between soft enamel translucents and soft cloisonne translucents.

I think that is case. I have several coins done in BN with IHE translucent enamels that look gorgeous - the most recent examples being the 10 Years Czech Republic Prague and 10 Years Colorado coins. I think the problem with BN & translucents come when you use soft enamels. I'm assuming that these color sample coins will be done in IHE? :huh: In which case I want one in BN! :anicute:

And I'd like to see them done in the antiqued finished as well as the shiny ones.

CF30

I think that is case. I have several coins done in BN with IHE translucent enamels that look gorgeous - the most recent examples being the 10 Years Czech Republic Prague and 10 Years Colorado coins. I think the problem with BN & translucents come when you use soft enamels. I'm assuming that these color sample coins will be done in IHE? :huh: In which case I want one in BN! :P

And I'd like to see them done in the antiqued finished as well as the shiny ones.

CF30

Ditto to that. I'll take one in any finish that is done.

And I'll get a trackable one only if that is what is needed to keep this thread going. :anicute:

I am planning to offer on a reservations program like normal. Provided I get 100 coins reserved then the coin will be made. I will be offereing a trackaable version and provided I get 50 of those reserved, there will be a trackable version.

Oh, you'll get 100 coins reserved! :) Unless that's 100 of each metal finish...? :anicute:

What platings would you like to see? gold, silver, antique gold, antique silver are usually the basics, I could add copper and antique copper if people wanted them also.

> Shiny Gold & Nickel for sure. Not fond of Shiny Copper even with regular non-translucent enamels but I guess others are so Copper too.

> Antiqued Gold, Nickel & Copper.

> Black Nickel (if using IHE). B)

Trackable version will most likely be 1 of these version only.

One trackable would be plenty - these won't likely be traveling anyway... :P

I'll take one in any finish that is done.

And I'll get a trackable one only if that is what is needed to keep this thread going. :)

Ditto the above. :huh:

CF30

Edit to add: I'm kinda pushing the IHE on Black Nickel because it DOES turn out so cool and most folk are afraid to go there - including me so having a "sample coin" that demos just how it will turn out will be very important. :P

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Final mint artwork is done. :) Removed the white/black enamels to keep the price down as much as possible (it's an expensive coin). Also removed the clock hands so it'll be easier to focus on the sample areas.

There will be a reservation, and if enough people are interested, it will be trackable.

samplecoinmintworksized.jpg

Edit: Image should work now. Sorry!

Edited by anne.and.eli