Transluscent color sample coin.

anne.and.eli

I've seen a geocoin with the different grits shown on it. Does something like this exist for the different transluscents? If not, would anyone be interested in getting one? I have some crazy cross referencing going on with 10 year geocoins and the colors they chose, but wow, it's frustrating.

I figure this way I could get one in gold, silver, copper and black nickel and have an artistic aid all set!

And I could put the glows on the back. :)

Edited by Eartha

One of my mints told me specifically that they can take any color from the pantone chart and make them translucent.

Texture wheel:

texturewheel.jpg

'Standard' Translucent Palette:

transpalette.jpg

Glow Chart:

glowenamels.jpg

~J

When we are working on our 10 year, 888, 999 projects, we are limited to the 24 color translucent chart.

I was looking at that coin used with the grit, after Anne posted. It would be great if it could be done with half raised feature. If you used the numbers, you couldn't see them with glow. And have 13 - 24 on back

One of my mints told me specifically that they can take any color from the pantone chart and make them translucent.

Texture wheel:

texturewheel.jpg

'Standard' Translucent Palette:

transpalette.jpg

Glow Chart:

glowenamels.jpg

~J

the pantones are not true translucents, which are imitation hard enamels, which has a limited palette. the pantones are soft enamels and the translucency they are talking about is some sort frosted/satin or some such mixed with the soft enamel. the group coin for GW8 had the same thing. the mint said they were translucent but they aren't, the enamels are still opaque. check out the examples in the group coin thread.

As for the pictures, it's great to see them, but every website I've looked at has slightly different tones, and some colors play with different metals in different ways. Having them in hand would be SO useful for designing coins!

If one already existed, I would just go try to purchase that!

Joni -

The top 24 are hard enamels, the bottom 10 are soft. Again, this is the "Standard" chart the other mints use. Anything beyond this chart is something they classify as 'too hard' for them to do.

ANY color can be mixed to be translucent, in EITHER hard or soft enamel. The mint that did the GW8 Group coin is NOT the same mint that I use (for that very reason).

~J

As for the pictures, it's great to see them, but every website I've looked at has slightly different tones, and some colors play with different metals in different ways. Having them in hand would be SO useful for designing coins!

If one already existed, I would just go try to purchase that!

for sure. some translucents over black nickel just become muddy looking, over gold will turn yellower, over copper, yellower/golder still, over silver - quite true to the colour of the translucent enamel.

heck, i would buy a set just because they would be pretty!

rsg

<snip>

heck, i would buy a set just because they would be pretty!

</snip>

It would be, but it would probably be 3-4 feet in diameter, weighing in at roughly 15lb a piece with the array of colors and textures that would need to be on it. :)

That's one expensive sample piece!

~J

Joni -

The top 24 are hard enamels, the bottom 10 are soft. Again, this is the "Standard" chart the other mints use. Anything beyond this chart is something they classify as 'too hard' for them to do.

ANY color can be mixed to be translucent, in EITHER hard or soft enamel. The mint that did the GW8 Group coin is NOT the same mint that I use (for that very reason).

~J

I knew what the charts were. I'm just interested in the 24 hard enamels because that is what we use in the projects. And I'm interested in having all the metals too!

the pantones are not true translucents, which are imitation hard enamels, which has a limited palette. the pantones are soft enamels and the translucency they are talking about is some sort frosted/satin or some such mixed with the soft enamel. the group coin for GW8 had the same thing. the mint said they were translucent but they aren't, the enamels are still opaque. check out the examples in the group coin thread.

can a few more mint "experts" with some experience weigh in on this comment. i was recently asked to select "translucent" color choices from the PMS (Pantone Matching System) Color Chart, for the 1st time. so, my concern is...are these paints truly "translucent" in that you can see the "half height" areas below the surface, or are they more "opaque" and make the "half heights" that much more difficult to see? i have some concerns now that this was brought up.

as for a geocoin that features many different translucent colors, textures, and metal finishes...i think it would be a great tool for anyone thinking about having a geocoin produced to have. i would want one.

i don't mean to take the thread off topic, but thanks for the feedback. PM me if your reply might derail the thread. :)

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

can a few more mint "experts" with some experience weigh in on this comment. i was recently asked to select "translucent" color choices from the PMS (Pantone Matching System) Color Chart, for the 1st time. so, my concern is...are these paints truly "translucent" in that you can see the "half height" areas below the surface, or are they more "opaque" and make the "half heights" that much more difficult to see? i have some concerns now that this was brought up.

as for a geocoin that features many different translucent colors, textures, and metal finishes...i think it would be a great tool for anyone thinking about having a geocoin produced to have. i would want one.

i don't mean to take the thread off topic, but thanks for the feedback. PM me if your reply might derail the thread. :)

I think if you are going to use the entire pantone color range for translucent coloring, then you would need a PMS color chart. They are sold on ebay among other places. No coin is going to be able to hold them all.

I would love to have a set with just the 24 hard enamel colors. I'm not interested in glow or soft enamel, but I'm sure others will be.

I would love to have a set with just the 24 hard enamel colors. I'm not interested in glow or soft enamel, but I'm sure others will be.

I have a design for that very thing, Joni - All 24 HE Trans, 10 SE Trans & 11 Glows plus 12 Textures, with 8 'pie slices' left over.

~J

We have had a different translucent colour palette from our factory for over a year now; we are no longer using the one that you have posted :) .

Note to self: update the translucent images on our site's Geocoin Manufacturing page! We are still showing the old translucent images! :D

I asked my mint if I had to stick to the 24 translucents and they said they can technically mix any pantone color as a translucent with the disclaimer that only on the 24 colors do they gaurantee stability (as in they do not change over time with exposure to light). Might be fun to try!

I would go in on a translucent coin of every translucent (or at least 1 silver'ish, 1 gold'ish).

~Tim

Edited by Zelanzy

We have had a different translucent colour palette from our factory for over a year now; we are no longer using the one that you have posted :) .

Note to self: update the translucent images on our site's Geocoin Manufacturing page! We are still showing the old translucent images! :D

Please do, as your page is one of the main pages I go to for seeing the color palette!

Jim's working on a coin and I'm working on a coin, maybe we can work together and get something cool. :lol: I like Joni's idea of having 12 per side, and then I was thinking of adding the glows around the outside or in the center.

I was playing around with this in Illustrator and realized it was starting to look like a clock. The grey areas would be half-raised, the black areas are raised metal. Trans on the pie pieces, glows around the edge and the two center areas. The back would have twelve more pie pieces, and 5 more glows.

transglow.jpg

If someone else has ideas, please feel free to chime in, or if you want to play around with the illustrator file, or whatnot, go for it. I'm not married to this idea at all. (Thanks again Joni for the idea of keeping it 12 and 12 on front and back, that makes it much nicer.)

I was playing around with this in Illustrator and realized it was starting to look like a clock. The grey areas would be half-raised, the black areas are raised metal. Trans on the pie pieces, glows around the edge and the two center areas. The back would have twelve more pie pieces, and 5 more glows.

transglow.jpg

If someone else has ideas, please feel free to chime in, or if you want to play around with the illustrator file, or whatnot, go for it. I'm not married to this idea at all. (Thanks again Joni for the idea of keeping it 12 and 12 on front and back, that makes it much nicer.)

Love it.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with just putting the numbers in the glow area. I know it is nice for it to be pretty, but it does have a function too.

Oh, and someone asked about textures, I think I'd rather just choose one texture (maybe #4) for all of the pie pieces. I fear if I did one texture per pie piece, then it would be difficult to know if you liked the color or the texture below it, if that makes sense? Maybe I'm overthinking this. ;)

(Given how many posts I've made on this subject, you THINK? :angry:)

I think the glows aren't really as necessary, so I think I'll rework without them. I've been getting some feedback that this will be hard for the mint to make as it requires so much "baking" for all the different colors. Adding glow to the mix just complicates things unnecessarily. ;)

This is a fun impromptu project for finals week. :angry:

Next time, will keep my design ideas to myself.

~J

I'm sorry you think I took your idea. :blink: I was working on mine in unison and had posted my ideas when you emailed me. I even mentioned that it would be cool to work together but never heard back from you.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your ire, but I really do apologize if you think at all I took your idea. I have also mentioned multiple times that I'm totally okay with someone else taking this idea and running with it. I just want a copy of the coins in each metal, I don't care who produces it or who designs it. :D

I've been watching this thread with great interest, as I too would like a set in each metal for reference purposes.

This most recent design is looking nice enough, I think it would be fun to put a tracking number around the edge, and release a few to help generate interest in designing!

I also need to say, I very much appreciate the teamwork I've seen here in getting this design to this stage, kudos to all involved (either publicly or not!)

just a cheesy idea here...what if...you use an old 70's type of digital display font for the words: "design around the clock"? with yellow glow color for the words...just a thought, since you have a traditional analog clock look, with grandfather clock roman numerals...i thought maybe the fun digital font would fit in with the clock theme...or did i just pick the wrong day to stop sniffing glue?! :D

c0249b16-6c60-41fd-9af9-b3a2381311fb.jpg

by the way, is there any way to make the 12:00 blink non-stop like my old VCR?! :blink:

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

I think I'm confused...

Is this going to be a real coin that is a sample coin of all finishes/enamels for people to buy or for the coin stores to use to help those wanting a coin minted to choose the type of enamel on the coin? :D

You're confused because this has kind of been a collaborative thing born out of group ideas and so I'm not sure anyone has an idea yet what's going on. :)

1. trackable? I don't know. If it's mainly an artist's aid, it wouldn't make sense for it to be trackable. Obviously we would not be able to sell it on the forums if we went that route.

2. available to everyone? I sure hope so. I'm no one special and I want a set!

3. flashing 12:00? Maybe the AE version. :blink:

At this point, I'm just asking around at the mints to see if anyone is even willing to TOUCH this project. :D The glows might be too much.

I think I'm confused...

Is this going to be a real coin that is a sample coin of all finishes/enamels for people to buy or for the coin stores to use to help those wanting a coin minted to choose the type of enamel on the coin? :D

You're confused because this has kind of been a collaborative thing born out of group ideas and so I'm not sure anyone has an idea yet what's going on. :)

1. trackable? I don't know. If it's mainly an artist's aid, it wouldn't make sense for it to be trackable. Obviously we would not be able to sell it on the forums if we went that route.

2. available to everyone? I sure hope so. I'm no one special and I want a set!

3. flashing 12:00? Maybe the AE version. :blink:

At this point, I'm just asking around at the mints to see if anyone is even willing to TOUCH this project. :D The glows might be too much.

oh okay, thank you for the explanation. I'll go back to being an observer and see what comes of it ; )

It really is a good idea !!

Edited by BVnLJ

i am one of those that thinks the glows are NOT necessary, nor are the words for the numbers. those will obscure the textures underneath.

the textures need to be really easy to see. a nice clean design is what is going to help people see what they need to see regarding translucent enamels and metal choices.

the slices going all the way to the edge will give each colour a little more "acreage." i would want to see how the enamels look up to the metal at the edge of the coin and not necessarily how they will look up to a circle of black. black translucent doesn't really look like a solid black, more like brown.

if the object of this great idea is to show us colours, textures and metals, the more simple the design the better.

on one of the coin-making sites, i think i have seen the pie-slice round coin with the textures. i don't think that is a unique idea but is an excellent way to see how the enamels fit into a metal frame.

my 2¢

rsg

I would definately buy a set on the various metals. I agree with RedShoesGirl and think you don't need the written numbers in the slices as it would clutter the purpose of showing the colours. I also do Not like the digital effect in the black centre. I think a compass would look nice there however and compliment the design well. The clock hands look nice in the white centre as well. It's coming along well. Just my opinion. Thanks for running with it.