Coolest Geocaching Shout Out Ever!

I've just press pause whilst listening to Adam Buxton's BBC Radio 6 podcast as I had a lovely surprise and thought I'd share it here which unfortunately has recently had a very angry moment!

He was interviewing Graham Linehan (writer of my favourite shows Father Ted, Big Train and the IT crowd) and asked him what interested him on the internet at the moment... Linehan only just answered Geocaching!!!

By all accounts, he's got the right idea of what it Geocaching is all about! Says its a lovely idea and then moves on to listening to more cracking indie music... but imagine my surprise!

So far Geocaching has only got as far as being promoted by local radio which only reaches a certain age/type or on Countrywatch type programs or in certain articles in papers or walking/camping magazines which again only hits a specific clientele, but now its been blown wide open by a proper A-list (in my opinion) celebrity!

Granted the face of caching will not be replaced by a new wave of skinny jean wearing whippersnappers, having drug addled Geocaching parties but hopefully some fresh blood will be lured in on the promise as something twee and sweet, which after all, is how cachings supposed to be taken, rather than succumbing to the "dark side" of trolling, trash talking and generally being a bit silly about something thats just a bit of fun...

(BTW - its referenced @ roughly 24.36 minutes into it, for anyone not wanting to listen to all of it!).

Be happy people!

Fantastic.... !!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the next series of the IT crowd will have Moss and Roy sneaking off on some FTF hunt (c'mon... we've ALL done it!!!) and having Jen stumbling around with them in high heels (again - I've been there, done that!!!!)

Great spot, Boos!!!!

I just dropped him a line about caching via Twitter, where he's @Glinner. Good work Boos and yes Hazel, I think there's a Team Building episode in that, lost in the woods, flat battery on the GPS and a whole Blair Witch vibe :)

Edit: The comment's actually at 51m50s and he talks a bit about it. Very cool :D

Edited by Simply Paul

SimplyPaul @Glinner I hear via Adam Buxton you've an interest in Geocaching Graham. I did Countryfile Video Diary on it in '05- If I can be any help..?

Glinner @SimplyPaul cheers, sir! I've already done one though...enjoyed it very much!

SimplyPaul @Glinner You're in good company- Bernard Cribbins!: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...a4-47a988efdf7f

I actually posted about the podcast to cheer everone up rather than create a new breed of celebrity geocaching stalkers, Paul ;-)

I'm sure he can find his own way into caching without the star of countryfile 05 holding his hand... :-D

I actually posted about the podcast to cheer everone up rather than create a new breed of celebrity geocaching stalkers, Paul ;-)

I'm sure he can find his own way into caching without the star of countryfile 05 holding his hand... :-D

So if your suposed to be cheering us us why go all sarky on him?

Everything on here seems to deterate into a slanging match.

So if your suposed to be cheering us us why go all sarky on him?

Everything on here seems to deterate into a slanging match.

Don't take everything at face value. :angry:

When you've been reading the forums for a little longer you'll realise that a lot of the banter on here is just that - banter between people who've known each other through the forum and in real life for far longer than you realise! ;)

Keehotee is right, the reply is nothing more than a simple case of "ribbing" as I've known Simply Paul for almost as long as I've been caching and know that he wouldn't take offence... hopefully anyways!

I think theres been such a bad cloud on the forums that people expect the worse nowadays.

If it helps imagine two old friends geeing each other up down the pub if that helps, when reading my last statement, to get the feel of how it was intended!

Be happy!

Keehotee is right, the reply is nothing more than a simple case of "ribbing" as I've known Simply Paul for almost as long as I've been caching and know that he wouldn't take offence... hopefully anyways!

I think theres been such a bad cloud on the forums that people expect the worse nowadays.

If it helps imagine two old friends geeing each other up down the pub if that helps, when reading my last statement, to get the feel of how it was intended!

Be happy!

Sorry, i did misundestand.The smileys werent showing.

I think its hard to hear what people mean sometimes when its writen down. Maybe thats how most of the clouds form when people take things the wrong way.

Im sorry if i ofended anyone.

No offense taken! You're absolutely right it is hard to see the true intention of a post on forums!

Maybe it would be a good addition to the forums if you could post a picture of your face along with your post emoting how your comments should be taken.

"I don't like micros" *angry face in picture*

"I've just hit a milestone" *jubilant face in picture*

"I've just broken my GPS" *unhappy face*

"my innocent post has turned into a virtual mexican stand-off" *how the hell did that happen face*

:angry:

Going way off topic here but what if we had an Anger Management thread as a way of taking the edge of cachers forum rage...

A Sock puppet account would be used to write something harmless and nice:

"I was out caching today and made a daisy chain to pass the time"

Then it would be down to everyone else to tear said statement to pieces:

"Don't you know Daisies have feelings too, you cold hearted bar steward"

"Why aren't you still out there caching, you idiot hole"

"Your caching name rhymes with POO, poohead!"

...etc

Hopefully by exposure to this knee jerk reaction we will all become desensitized by this form of vitriolic reply and gloss over it in future, making it invisible to the naked eye... and peace will be restored to the land of caching! *hurrah*

BTW - don't use this thread as an excuse to tear my idea to pieces or I will cry!

Sometimes I swear that if I didn't know Pete from House of Boo, I'd think he was an absolute Loon!!!

However, when reading his posts, I imagine him saying it - makes it FAR easier to understand - and I can vouch that I'm not sure Pete would be intentionally pee anyone off... not in his hilarious nature!