UK PostCodes

Aggrajag

I've noticed this a few times this last week but the Geocaching post code seaches are not accurate. Is there anyway I can tweak them or are Groundspeak using bad data?

E.G. search for "wf4 2eu" using maps.google.co.uk and it is spot on. Search for "wf4 2eu, uk" inside geocaching.com and it is about 15 miles off to the west the other side of the motorway.

Surely this can't just be me?

Try searching for "DL11 6LJ, UK", a campsite in North Yorkshire where I'm thinking of going for a weekend's Geocaching. It comes up 20 km to the East. If I type the village name, town & county in "Keld, Richmond, North Yorkshire" it comes up 20km to the South.

Yet both come up absolutely spot on in native Google Maps.

I get the same erroneous results, but unfortunately have no solution! This needs looking into because if the Google API is used correctly then this sort of discrepancy should not be occurring - it doesn't in the web apps I operate at the moment...

Well even though I'm new to this sport, which I love, I do get the feeling that Groundspeak are very slow to fix, or care, about application problems.

It's a shame because it really does slow down UK searching.

Groundspeak are indeed very slow to fix any problems. It would be nice if they would at least acknowledge them from time to time. But I've got used to it now - I have no expectations!

Perhaps we should all train ourselves to work out lat/lon coords....

The Google API is what Groundspeak uses in its postal code searches. There have been issues in the past that required adding the country code, but you've already done that and are still seeing issues, so this does sound like something else is going on.