Am I missing anything GOOD on the way to GW8?

I'm looking for help along my route to and from GW8. I have bookmarked almost 900 caches and counting as possibilities, but other than events, some caches from my watchlist, and caches from my ODS project that I won't be missing, the only thing to recommend them is an easy off and on from my route. :D

So, if anyone could suggest "don't miss" caches along my route it would be much appreciated whether I have them bookmarked or not. A good cache experience is worth a detour for me. :lol:

My first group of 500 bookmarks.

The second set of bookmarks. (352 and counting)

I'll be caching 17 states (Tx, Ok, Ks, Co, Wy, Ut, Nv, Ca, Or,Wa, Id, Mt, Nd, Mn, Sd, Ia, Ne)+ the Vancouver area in Canada with extended stays in Mammoth Lakes (Eastern Sierra), Sacramento, and Seattle. I'll post a google map when I have time.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to suggest caches with good word of mouth for me. It doesn't even have to be a cache you have visited, but just one you have heard good things about. :mad:

I.E. I'll be going to SF just to do bthomas' Columba. Everyone at GW6 raved about that cache and when I got there, I took too long doing other things and missed the closing time by about 5 minutes. It pays to actually read a cache page BEFORE you get there. :)

Edited by Snoogans

Depending on how far you want to travel, we have a couple I think might be worth your trip about two hours north of San Fran and 3 hours west of Sac. One is a Y2K cache (GCD4) thats only accesable by a pretty decent hike or 4WD. The other I would suggest in the area (that I've done) 1s GC183Z2. It's a good hike with outstanding views of our little valley. There are a few more around here that you might enjoy, but those are the two I've most enjoyed.

There are also some I've not yet gotten to, I wouldn't mind hunting with the Snoogs...

There are also some I've not yet gotten to, I wouldn't mind hunting with the Snoogs...

We are planning to go to Muir Woods after a brief stop in SF and then head up the PCH toward Ft. Bragg. We'll be passing close to Ukiah on the way home. I'm not done bookmarking that leg of the trip.

I'll be going to SF just to do bthomas' Columba. Everyone at GW6 raved about that cache and when I got there, I took too long doing other things and missed the closing time by about 5 minutes. It pays to actually read a cache page BEFORE you get there

Yes, a very worthy detour. And while you are in the neighborhood, check out Sounds of the Bay if you haven't already been there. One of the 'creator's' daughters was there when we stopped in, and got some cool additional info on the materials used to make it.

Edited by wimseyguy

We are planning to go to Muir Woods after a brief stop in SF and then head up the PCH toward Ft. Bragg. We'll be passing close to Ukiah on the way home. I'm not done bookmarking that leg of the trip.

Ukiah is about an hour and a half, maybe a bit less, off the PCH. Let me know if you decide to pass through, if you feel like it. If not, those are "must hits" if they're your type of cache.

Hi, Along I-5 at Lathrop, Cal. GC4140,

" " at Woodland, Cal. GCKGRZ

Along Hwy 1 on Mendocino coast So. of Fort Bragg, Cal. GC489B

Along Hwy 128 " " GCTJ7D

Off Hwy 101 near Hopland, Cal. GC1061F

Along I-5 at Anderson, Cal. GC234H9

Edited by humboldt flier
I'll be going to SF just to do bthomas' Columba. Everyone at GW6 raved about that cache and when I got there, I took too long doing other things and missed the closing time by about 5 minutes. It pays to actually read a cache page BEFORE you get there

Yes, a very worthy detour. And while you are in the neighborhood, check out Sounds of the Bay if you haven't already been there. One of the 'creator's' daughters was there when we stopped in, and got some cool additional info on the materials used to make it.

I did Sounds of the Bay in 2003 and I've revisited it several times over the years. It's one of my all time favorites.

Ukiah is about an hour and a half, maybe a bit less, off the PCH. Let me know if you decide to pass through, if you feel like it. If not, those are "must hits" if they're your type of cache.

It's doubtful that I'll have time to do either of those with my wife and 2.5yo son along, but they look interesting for another trip.

Sacramento, the Tahoe run and the SF-Ft. Bragg runs are all family time. I can cache as long as cachin' doesn't appear to be the objective and a nice spot or a short hike/carry for a toddler is what I'll be looking for. Virts and Earthcaches really fill the ticket for these outings when I can't get away to hunt.

My wonderful wife is cutting me loose to drive up to Seattle and back home while she stays with family in Sac until she flies back. This will probably be my last GW appearance for awhile and she was very cool to encourage me to go.

I'll be looking for more adventurous caches once I get past the Oregon/Cali border and have some time to kill before the first event I signed up for on 6/30. If I'm not bruised, scratched, and bleeding at that event, I'll be surprised. :)

We are planning to go to Muir Woods after a brief stop in SF

Arrive early. Better yet, arrive very early. I assume you spotted the caches just up from the Woods on Bootjack Trail -- one of them is particularly close to the Woods. Depending on how much time you have, there are many fine caches in the area, that take you to great spots on Tamalpais. Firestone, below Ridgecrest, is the oldest in the Bay Area but might take more work to get to than you have time for. My own cache, The Edge of the World, is at one of the classic views (at least on a clear day) at a historical location, just a short walk away from parking. There is a nice earthcache and a virtual at the Point Reyes Lighthouse, and my earthcache at Point Bonita in the Marin Headlands is also in a nice family-oriented spot (particularly if you get there when the lighthouse is open).

If your timing was just right, I would recommend bringing the family to the West Point Inn on Tamalpais for pancakes (June 20th). Its one of the great mountain traditions and allows you to do an earthcache and a few others as you walk out (or back) there.

Edited by mulvaney

It's doubtful that I'll have time to do either of those with my wife and 2.5yo son along, but they look interesting for another trip.

Sacramento, the Tahoe run and the SF-Ft. Bragg runs are all family time. I can cache as long as cachin' doesn't appear to be the objective and a nice spot or a short hike/carry for a toddler is what I'll be looking for. Virts and Earthcaches really fill the ticket for these outings when I can't get away to hunt.

My wonderful wife is cutting me loose to drive up to Seattle and back home while she stays with family in Sac until she flies back. This will probably be my last GW appearance for awhile and she was very cool to encourage me to go.

I'll be looking for more adventurous caches once I get past the Oregon/Cali border and have some time to kill before the first event I signed up for on 6/30. If I'm not bruised, scratched, and bleeding at that event, I'll be surprised. :)

Oh, I understand. I do most of my caching with my 3 little ones who are 4, 5, and 9 months. Neither are kid friendly unless you 4 wheel it to Bovine Hill, and then it's still rough going.

If you do find yourself in the area, let me know. There are plenty of kid friendly caches in the area that still require a bit of a hike/walk. If not, there are plenty of nice caches in the Fort Bragg area, and of course SF and the greater North Bay. I think there's a webcam cache somewhere on the pier...

The Blue Bow would be pleased to meet the Snoogs, if you pass near Omaha, Nebraska.

I believe I pass through Omaha on the way to Topeka... :)

Gimme timing details, and I'm there! I can point out a few good caches 'long the way, too... *tempt, tempt* PM me!

We are planning to go to Muir Woods after a brief stop in SF

Arrive early. Better yet, arrive very early. I assume you spotted the caches just up from the Woods on Bootjack Trail -- one of them is particularly close to the Woods. Depending on how much time you have, there are many fine caches in the area, that take you to great spots on Tamalpais. Firestone, below Ridgecrest, is the oldest in the Bay Area but might take more work to get to than you have time for. My own cache, The Edge of the World, is at one of the classic views (at least on a clear day) at a historical location, just a short walk away from parking. There is a nice earthcache and a virtual at the Point Reyes Lighthouse, and my earthcache at Point Bonita in the Marin Headlands is also in a nice family-oriented spot (particularly if you get there when the lighthouse is open).

Thanks!

I've looked at a lot of those caches, but I haven't bookmarked a lot of them. I'm relying on my iPhone and Geomate to find caches that aren't on my bookmark list and to be paperless when I have 3G service.

I'll get whatever is convenient with the family along while being respectful of my wife's tolerance for my diversions. :)

I do have one of yours on the PCH bookmarked. :D

The Blue Bow would be pleased to meet the Snoogs, if you pass near Omaha, Nebraska.

I believe I pass through Omaha on the way to Topeka... :)

Gimme timing details, and I'm there! I can point out a few good caches 'long the way, too... *tempt, tempt* PM me!

Right now... Sometime after 7/6 since I may only just be leaving Seattle late on 7/5. The last third of my trip is strictly by ear and will be further slowed by how much cachin' I do.... and I plan to cache a lot. I would not be surprised if I break 1k on this trip. I'm at 730+ now. :D

What is the coolest cache in Omaha to meet up at?

Right now... Sometime after 7/6 since I may only just be leaving Seattle late on 7/5. The last third of my trip is strictly by ear and will be further slowed by how much cachin' I do.... and I plan to cache a lot. I would not be surprised if I break 1k on this trip. I'm at 730+ now. :)

In Omaha/Millard area - Hair Of The Spider (That Bit My Dog) is a great, not very long multi. Plus it's on Lake Zorinsky, which has a ton of caches. Iron Lilac is another short multi that is really good, in the same area. If you like climbing trees, check out all the "Are You High" caches. (NB: I haven't found the tree climbing caches yet)

Gallic Nut Crick in Papillion is a nice cache, too; Caspar's Crypt in Jewel Park in Bellevue; Batteries not Included in Bellevue. There are several along a nice walking trail next to the Missouri, in Bellevue. (NB, some are mine, I'm biased.)

South of Omaha, between Bellevue and Plattsmouth, Fork off Beach Road is a 'can't miss'.

I'll need to look through my notes to recommend more - what sort are you looking for? :D

I've compiled a list of my favorite Elk Grove caches (just south of Sacramento) in my bookmarks list Clever caches in the Elk Grove Area. You'll have to forgive the fact that I have some of my caches in the list although I do try to make them different.

I'll also be heading to GW VIII with some cachers in the area and we have compiled a list of caches along Interstate 5 that we are hoping to pick up along the way: Papa EGTH's Geowoodstock Wishlist. We'll be heading out on June 30th and arrive back on July 5th.

If you are coming down I-5 (or up) just north of Redding in Dunsmuir, Big Spring - Lost and Found (GCPVF2) is a real gem. Easy to get to and a real nice find!

COOL. Thanks. :)

I'm going through Redding twice. Once to stop at the GPS Adventure Maze on the (long) way to Sac through Lassen, and once passin' through headin' to GW8.

I've compiled a list of my favorite Elk Grove caches (just south of Sacramento) in my bookmarks list Clever caches in the Elk Grove Area. You'll have to forgive the fact that I have some of my caches in the list although I do try to make them different.

I'll also be heading to GW VIII with some cachers in the area and we have compiled a list of caches along Interstate 5 that we are hoping to pick up along the way: Papa EGTH's Geowoodstock Wishlist. We'll be heading out on June 30th and arrive back on July 5th.

I can use those thanks.

I'll be headed North on the 29th to hit Avroair's Earlybird event.

Depending on when you pass through Missoula, MT you might enjoy the following:

Pirates of Dragon Hollow is right next to the Carousel and in a playground. Evil but the family may enjoy stopping here.

Smoke Jumper Central is near the Smoke Jumper Museum. A fast multicache and if you have read Young Men and Fire you will find it interesting.

Montana's First Cache Revisted is a nice quick cache, not far from the parking area near the hwy.

First in Butte If you haven't seen the biggest hole in the US, you might find this interesting. No swimming though, kinda acidic down there!

Missouri Headwaters is the oldest active cache in Montana and a nice walk in the park. There may be a fee to get into the park as you are from out of state. Watch for ticks though.

The Crazy Painter is a quick find just off the hwy. Statue and some views of the mountains here.

God Bless America Travel Bug Bunkhouse is another quick cache near the hwy, big enough for TBs.

Have fun!

If you want to, I'll give you our cell #s and we will happily meet up with you along the way (if possible).

Jen

Pirates of Dragon Hollow is right next to the Carousel and in a playground. Evil but the family may enjoy stopping here.

Smoke Jumper Central is near the Smoke Jumper Museum. A fast multicache and if you have read Young Men and Fire you will find it interesting.

Montana's First Cache Revisted is a nice quick cache, not far from the parking area near the hwy.

First in Butte If you haven't seen the biggest hole in the US, you might find this interesting. No swimming though, kinda acidic down there!

Missouri Headwaters is the oldest active cache in Montana and a nice walk in the park. There may be a fee to get into the park as you are from out of state. Watch for ticks though.

The Crazy Painter is a quick find just off the hwy. Statue and some views of the mountains here.

God Bless America Travel Bug Bunkhouse is another quick cache near the hwy, big enough for TBs.

Have fun!

If you want to, I'll give you our cell #s and we will happily meet up with you along the way (if possible).

Jen

COOL!

I bookmarked and Earthcache of yours already.

Right now... Sometime after 7/6 since I may only just be leaving Seattle late on 7/5. The last third of my trip is strictly by ear and will be further slowed by how much cachin' I do.... and I plan to cache a lot. I would not be surprised if I break 1k on this trip. I'm at 730+ now. :)

In Omaha/Millard area - Hair Of The Spider (That Bit My Dog) is a great, not very long multi. Plus it's on Lake Zorinsky, which has a ton of caches. Iron Lilac is another short multi that is really good, in the same area. If you like climbing trees, check out all the "Are You High" caches. (NB: I haven't found the tree climbing caches yet)

Gallic Nut Crick in Papillion is a nice cache, too; Caspar's Crypt in Jewel Park in Bellevue; Batteries not Included in Bellevue. There are several along a nice walking trail next to the Missouri, in Bellevue. (NB, some are mine, I'm biased.)

South of Omaha, between Bellevue and Plattsmouth, Fork off Beach Road is a 'can't miss'.

I'll need to look through my notes to recommend more - what sort are you looking for? :D

It honestly depends on the time of day that I get there and how far ahead or behind schedule I am. I have to pick my wife up at the airport in Houston on 7/11.

What part of Wyoming are you passing through?

Extreme South Wyoming.

Out of Co on 287 to Laramie and hang a left on through to Salt Lake City, Utah.

Ok - I'll recommend my Joshua's High Country Hide cache as well as any nearby if you have the time to go over the snowy range rather than swing directly onto I-80.

If times constricts then visit my: Rhyme Time Cache in Laramie. Nice park and getting there takes you close to University of Wyoming Stadium.

Highway 1 isn't usually called the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in Northern California. PCH is officially only between Dana Point (between LA and San Diego) and Oxnard in Southern California.

I was actually going go suggest going up route 1 through Ft. Bragg. Although I haven't actually geocached in Ft. Bragg, I *was* born there.

Highway 1 isn't usually called the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in Northern California. PCH is officially only between Dana Point (between LA and San Diego) and Oxnard in Southern California.

I was actually going go suggest going up route 1 through Ft. Bragg. Although I haven't actually geocached in Ft. Bragg, I *was* born there.

There's a really fun virt in Fort Bragg. Some nice caches in the area too. I need to get over there...

I love Fort Bragg :) My stepmother used to own a restaurant in Westport (outside of Fort Bragg). I was born in Ukiah, and grew up there; and also lived in Elk for a little while (on the coast). Mendo county has some GREAT caches. If you're in Ukiah... I of course recommend "Pilot Rock." It was placed on the ranch I was born on.

Have fun!

Jen

COOL!

I bookmarked and Earthcache of yours already.

Cool that you want to do our EC!

I just re-read one of your posts and realized you were "cut loose" for this section of the trip. If you need a place to crash and aren't afraid of Star Wars stuff, we have a spare room. If you are allergic to cats, you can put up a tent in the yard instead. I have to fly out on July 7th for work but we should be leaving from Carnation on the 4th, in Spokane that evening and then home late on the 5th. Just outside of the Gorge in Gorge are some pretty cool caches, I'll post a link soon to one that has some near rock formations you should like.

Now, I'm gonna start looking for the real fun hikes that aren't totally family friendly. :)

If you don't mind skeeters, our cache Ingenuity has been well likes by most finders and is a flat 3 mile walk. Our Maclay Ponderosa Plantation cache is along the way- it was our first placement.

Jen

I just realized, you need to check out my WOW bookmark list. All the caches I now want to recommend are on there.

Dr Who in Portland is supposed to be cool, it is on my to-do list for next week's trip there.

Ring Those Rocks has an EC next to it, bring a hammer, don't attempt if muddy.

State quarter is a mystery in Oregon, used to have a great view of the Trojan cooling tower, is a newt spot to explore.

Teddy Roosevelt Cache is in the Black hills and Totally worth stopping for the views alone.

The Feathers are in Washington- rocks, views and desert combine for a pretty near area to wxplore.

The Secret of the Lock Returns- in Spokane area, evil puzzle cache, once you get to the location... Skeeters can be nasty though.

Trail Ruts- in Wyoming. One of my favorite places we have ever visited.

Bookmark link in signature below. :)

Jen

I just realized, you need to check out my WOW bookmark list. All the caches I now want to recommend are on there.

Dr Who in Portland is supposed to be cool, it is on my to-do list for next week's trip there.

Ring Those Rocks has an EC next to it, bring a hammer, don't attempt if muddy.

State quarter is a mystery in Oregon, used to have a great view of the Trojan cooling tower, is a newt spot to explore.

Teddy Roosevelt Cache is in the Black hills and Totally worth stopping for the views alone.

The Feathers are in Washington- rocks, views and desert combine for a pretty near area to wxplore.

The Secret of the Lock Returns- in Spokane area, evil puzzle cache, once you get to the location... Skeeters can be nasty though.

Trail Ruts- in Wyoming. One of my favorite places we have ever visited.

Bookmark link in signature below. :angry:

Jen

Thanks!!! ;)

OK. Now I am jealous. BBJR and I were going to take a 12 state, 2.5 week drive to Carnation and back for GW.

A broken foot and 10 weeks off work has diminished our plans to a 4 hour flight each way, and a great compact rental car for the 5 days we will be there. :angry:

I hope we get to hear of your awesome travels so we can live vicariously through you!

+1. Great one, even on a cold, rainy, windy day. Although the tide was out, so didn't get many sound effects.

Still can't see the route. :D

I know, I know. :D I can't figure it out. Anyone know a good mapping program that I can link to easily?

Otherwise, I'll have to post it by text which isn't going to help all that much.

Starbrand, in Wyoming, I'm on 287 to Laramie where I get on 80 all the way to West Wendover, Nevada. Is there anything outstanding along that route, or anything worth a 15 to 20 mile (at most) detour? :blink:

BTW- I head out on Saturday morning which means I should be lookin' for caches along that route by Sunday afternoon at the rate I travel while cachin'.

Still can't see the route. :D

I know, I know. :D I can't figure it out. Anyone know a good mapping program that I can link to easily?

Otherwise, I'll have to post it by text which isn't going to help all that much.

Starbrand, in Wyoming, I'm on 287 to Laramie where I get on 80 all the way to West Wendover, Nevada. Is there anything outstanding along that route, or anything worth a 15 to 20 mile (at most) detour? :blink:

BTW- I head out on Saturday morning which means I should be lookin' for caches along that route by Sunday afternoon at the rate I travel while cachin'.

Can't you do a screenshot? :)