Free Maps for Garmin Oregon 450

I recently read in a couple of places that when I purchase my Garmin 450 model that I shouldn't bother going with the 450t because the maps were "Free anyway." I haven't even gotten the 450 in the mail yet, but I want to get on this in case the maps are offered for free for a limited time (if they even are). So, does anyone know anything about this? Is there a way to essentially make the 450 a 450t with free map downloads somewhere?

Thanks!

So, does anyone know anything about this?

yep, you can download free Topo maps (and road maps) for most states from GPS File Depot

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

Is there a way to essentially make the 450 a 450t with free map downloads somewhere?

well, not exactly.. for one thing, you give up DEM shading, which to me, means you give up a lot of readability.. DEM Shading is what gives the maps some depth when your looking at them in less then optimal conditions (outdoors in sunlight) on a relatively small viewing device (as compared to a home PC or a large printed map).. they also lack labels for many features, such as lakes, streams, mountains etc.. having said that, many people get by just fine.. but not quite good enough for me.. so far, I still prefer Garmin Topo series.. not perfect, but I need my DEM shading, and have to have labels so I know what I am looking at

p.s. tons of info on the Garmin 450 here

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

I recently read in a couple of places that when I purchase my Garmin 450 model that I shouldn't bother going with the 450t because the maps were "Free anyway." I haven't even gotten the 450 in the mail yet, but I want to get on this in case the maps are offered for free for a limited time (if they even are). So, does anyone know anything about this? Is there a way to essentially make the 450 a 450t with free map downloads somewhere?

Thanks!

When you get the unit, go HERE. You can get an extention to your Premium Membership. :)

When you get the unit, go HERE. You can get an extention to your Premium Membership. :)

just did that.

Garmin Free 30 Day Trial Premium Membership

Congratulations!

Your Groundspeak Premium Membership is now active until 01/01/0001.

Visit "Your Account" page now to get started with your Premium Membership.

awesome! :D