switched to Apple

If it ain't GSAK, well, it ain't GSAK :unsure:

Happily, GSAK runs reasonably well under Codeweaver's Crossover, so you don't need Windows .

GPSBabel is also available in a native Mac version, so you can still transfer data directly to/from most GPSRs.

If you have a Garmin" -- then you should have no problem a Garmin offers a lot of Mac native software and most of the material on GPSFileDepot is available in Mac format also.

Edited by lee_rimar

Good luck with geojournal. It's abandonware - the version that's available still has so many bugs and problems that I've given up using it, although many of us mac users had high hopes for it originally. Maccaching is pretty good, if it's feature set suits your needs - it doesn't work for me.

Crossover is great for running gsak, although last time I tried it it would still throw up error messages and crash occasionally. Maybe it's been fixed since then.

I have windows 7 running in boot camp on my macbook, but the thing I use the most for little stuff like gsak is vmware's fusion running XP.

Sadly, there is not Mac replacement for GSAK. Get VMware Fusion and load Windows XP, Vista or 7, on your new Mac so you can keep running GSAK...that's what I did.

Or save $80 and get VirtualBox to do the same job as VMWare Fusion for free.

Good luck with geojournal. It's abandonware - the version that's available still has so many bugs and problems that I've given up using it, although many of us mac users had high hopes for it originally. Maccaching is pretty good, if it's feature set suits your needs - it doesn't work for me.

MacCaching seems to be abandoned as well. Its functionality is very, very basic - nowhere near GSAK.

There's one other app which doesn't appear to have been abandoned, but the name escapes me at the moment and it's not on the geocaching.com "Resources" list.

Edited by dakboy

Sadly, there is not Mac replacement for GSAK. Get VMware Fusion and load Windows XP, Vista or 7, on your new Mac so you can keep running GSAK...that's what I did.

While VirtualBox is free, it does not allow you to bot a virtual session into an existing BootCamp windows installation, so you would need a second full windows install, plus a license for that copy of windows, so you probably won't be saving any money with that route.

I know several Mac users who have stopped using GSAK altogether and now they just load the GPX files straight from their PQ's onto their Garmin Oregon GPSr. They also use an iPhone application called Geosphere to do the majority of the tasks they used to use GSAK for, but it is all maintained locally on their iPhone. Geosphere is a "waypoint manager" much like a "light weight GSAK" that allows you to maintain local notes, locally edited coordinates, etc. While I haven't tried it myself, I would even bet that Geosphere either currently supports uploading PQ's back to Groundspeak, or the author would add that support fairly quickly (assuming Groundspeak still support uploading PQ's back to their server).

Using a combination of PQ's, a GPSr that will accept GPX files, and Geosphere on an iPhone/iPod Touch allows you to eliminate GSAK from your workflow if you so desire.

While VirtualBox is free, it does not allow you to bot a virtual session into an existing BootCamp windows installation, so you would need a second full windows install, plus a license for that copy of windows, so you probably won't be saving any money with that route.

If all you need Windows for is GSAK, then setting up with Boot Camp is overkill. I'm using XP under VirtualBox for Quicken & GSAK on my MacBook, and as long as you've got enough RAM, it works fine.

I'm gonna have to figure out how to balance things between my desktop PC and my MacBook. When I'm home, I use GSAK to consolidate about 5 PQs that cover all the geocaches within 50-100 miles of me, then export a mega GPX file to my iPod once a week. When I'm traveling though, I rely on my MacBook instead, although I haven't found a need yet to use it except to generate PQs for the area I happen to be in, then from there I download the info to my iPod. I keep thinking I'm missing something though that could make things even easier when geocaching on the road.