MapSource maps for North America

I recently purchased a GPSMAP 60CSx. It came with a MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD, however no kind of unlock codes, so I can't upload any maps to my GPS. The maps are extremely basic too.

So, my question is, do I need to purchase another map product to overwrite this program. I want detailed country and city maps - basically just for Ontario, but I assume it would come with all of North America (?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a GPSMAP 60CSx. It came with a MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD, however no kind of unlock codes, so I can't upload any maps to my GPS. The maps are extremely basic too.

So, my question is, do I need to purchase another map product to overwrite this program. I want detailed country and city maps - basically just for Ontario, but I assume it would come with all of North America (?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trip and Waypoint Manager has no maps with it.

In your case I would either get the free maps already suggested, or the Garmin Topo V4 for about $100. The Garmin Topo includes Digital Elevation Model data which shows the terrain in 3D view - pretty cool, imho. Topo also includes auto-routing information and points of interest so you can do quite reasonable navigation on the road with it.

The free maps do not have DEM data.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

If you're looking for urban/driving maps, I'd go with City Navigator. You can get them with lifetime updates now, so your maps will always be up to date. If you want 'outdoor' maps for hiking, etc., but also need driving directions, go with Topo Canada. If you don't need routing, go with the (FREE!) Ibycus Topo Canada.

The free maps do not have DEM data.

And a 60csx cannot use DEM data.

Good point.

I personally would not suggest buying City Navigator since for a few dollars more, you can buy a Nuvi that includes the maps.

But of course the maps will be locked to that Nuvi, it should be mentioned.

That's why I suggested Topo V4 since I know it has good detail for Ontario, and provides a lot of street navigation information as well as the Topo data.

But of course the maps will be locked to that Nuvi, it should be mentioned.

That's why I suggested Topo V4 since I know it has good detail for Ontario, and provides a lot of street navigation information as well as the Topo data.

Yes, but once you have the Nuvi, you won't need to use the 60csx for street navigation.....

The differences from a use perspective are that:

- Topo Canada v4 has autorouting data. Ibycus does not.

- Topo Canada v4 has all the searchable points of interest (POI) that Metroguide Canada contains. Ibycus does not.

- Topo Canada v4 has all the searchable addresses, city names, intersections, etc. that Metroguide Canada has. Ibycus does not.

- If your use requires none of that, Ibycus is free. Topo Canada v4 is not.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

The differences from a use perspective are that:

- Topo Canada v4 has autorouting data. Ibycus does not.

- Topo Canada v4 has all the searchable points of interest (POI) that Metroguide Canada contains. Ibycus does not.

- Topo Canada v4 has all the searchable addresses, city names, intersections, etc. that Metroguide Canada has. Ibycus does not.

- If your use requires none of that, Ibycus is free. Topo Canada v4 is not.

...ken...

Excellent description.

I would add that Topo Canada is very reasonably priced, at less than $100 from GPSCity or GPSCentral...

I like it a lot, and it's often the only map I have enabled in my Oregon.

Ibycus has a lot of data that Topo Canada does not such as vegetation cover and cutlines, both very important around here. Ibycus also has more up to date road information.

For that reason, and the reasons I listed above, I load both. After all, Ibycus Topo is free and Topo Canada is cheap, so why not? :laughing:

...ken...