Wanted: Old GPS forr NMEA output only.

A GPSR such as a Magellan eXplorist has a NMEA output mode, but uses a USB connector to do the electrical connections. In any case both the electrical standards and protocol standards need to match your boat's radio.

I was poking around the Internet and came across this GPS module:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=465

It is normally used by folks to build a robot, but it does have a NMEA mode. If you look on the page they show electrical hookups and articles on how the device works.

==================================================

I do not think it matters as I am going to cut the cable and connect it to a 5 pin DIN connector for th eVHF radio on my boat - the newer radios make use of the position data for Digital calling.

Are you looking for something with an RS-232 serial output?

Thanks for the link... I am currently looking at buying a fish finder / GPS plotter combo that has NMEA output and will "talk" to the radio and recieve data from the DSC component of the radio (locating other calling stations on the map)

I wil however keep it in mind in case I opt out of that...

Thans again,

Michael

A GPSR such as a Magellan eXplorist has a NMEA output mode, but uses a USB connector to do the electrical connections. In any case both the electrical standards and protocol standards need to match your boat's radio.

I was poking around the Internet and came across this GPS module:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=465

It is normally used by folks to build a robot, but it does have a NMEA mode. If you look on the page they show electrical hookups and articles on how the device works.

==================================================

I do not think it matters as I am going to cut the cable and connect it to a 5 pin DIN connector for th eVHF radio on my boat - the newer radios make use of the position data for Digital calling.

Are you looking for something with an RS-232 serial output?