blatant advertising in caches

Correct me if I'm wrong, ashnikes, but isn't GC29RCB a micro in a stand of trees right outside a library?

I think he placed it to encourage people to dumpster dive next to it.

precisely, and therefore it is not technically a micro, but rather a large cache for those brave enough to peak inside and trade out swag for real trash.

Edited by ashnikes

Correct me if I'm wrong, ashnikes, but isn't GC29RCB a micro in a stand of trees right outside a library?

precisely, and therefore it is not technically a micro, but rather a large cache for those brave enough to peak inside and trade out swag for real trash.

I get it. I suppose a dumpster is like a giant geocache in a way, for urban treasure.

I hate people who push any kind of religion onto people.

My initial thought was, this is perhaps the most idiotic thing I've ever read in an Internet forum. Then I remembered something Rosie O'Donnell, (or likely some sock using her name), posted on an old DNC forum. Whew! For a minute there I thought a record had been broken! It does beg the question, if I put a bible, or some other religious text, into a Tupperware container out in the woods, which you later visit, how exactly am I pushing something on you? Does the act of opening a cache suddenly strip away your free will? Does the fact that it is sitting there, buried under McCrap, force you to read it?

My particular religious bent requires that I respect the religious beliefs of others.

I call it "Tolerance".

If you ever get tired of carrying hate around, you might give it a shot.

As my mentor advised me many caches ago, "There is no whining in geocaching." Thank you, Clan Riffster.

Last month I found 47 caches. In 12 caches I found copies of the New Testament. They all went to the recycle bin.

Did you trade for them, or are you a thief?

Well are you??? How about any thing that is slanted against religion? Do you trash that out too? So many people snivel about the right to free speech but just love to stomp on any thing they dont agree with. "Im free to speak out, just dont speak out against me, like I do to you" Seems like the definition of hypocrisy. trash out the new testament. trash out joes restaurant card, trash out pamphlets for boy scouts or girls scouts, "im for free speech so that cant be there" All it does is make you another hand wringing sniveling crying hypocrite.

I get it. I suppose a dumpster is like a giant geocache in a way, for urban treasure.

IMO, just as lame as the caches the OP initiated thread on. I may have done dumpster diving as a hungry college student, certainly not going near one these days.

Warren, Dave sent me a psychic message meant for you. You must've been wearing your AFDB, since he couldn't send it to you. He says, "Send Riffster the final coords to Jambalaya. He's dumber than a bag of hammers and will never figure it out otherwise".

You didn't ask me for them :angry:

Ashnikes... If you think that the cache you mentioned at the beginning of this thread is bad. Then you are in for some real disappointments ahead. That cache has been around for a long time. The cache owner has no control over what gets put in their cache after they place it. You are going to find a lot of caches out there that are filled with junk. People do put their business cards in caches but it might be someone just like you who visited the cache. I used to collect them as they were representative of a personal item. I no longer do that. There are caches out there with stuff that entice you to come into the nearby store too. Things like 20% off discount stuff. If you don't want to be bombarded by the junk then find the cache, find the log, sign it and don't look at anything else in the cache. If you don't like something about the cache state it in your log. Then the owner sees it. Not everyone comes to these forums. I rarely do. But someone suggested I take a look at this thread so I did.

IMO, just as lame as the caches the OP initiated thread on. I may have done dumpster diving as a hungry college student, certainly not going near one these days.

It's been years for me as well, also when I was a starving college student (graduated in 2001), but I'm sure there are some out there who appreciate the opportunity.

Last month I found 47 caches. In 12 caches I found copies of the New Testament. They all went to the recycle bin.

Did you trade for them, or are you a thief?

Well are you??? How about any thing that is slanted against religion? Do you trash that out too? So many people snivel about the right to free speech but just love to stomp on any thing they dont agree with. "Im free to speak out, just dont speak out against me, like I do to you" Seems like the definition of hypocrisy. trash out the new testament. trash out joes restaurant card, trash out pamphlets for boy scouts or girls scouts, "im for free speech so that cant be there" All it does is make you another hand wringing sniveling crying hypocrite.

I am gonna add my thoughts on this bit. If you leave one or two items pushing your agenda and that agenda is not kid unfriendly I won't bother them. If you stuff the cache with 'em I will trade 'em out for something I think is of equal, or greater, value. Sometimes that may be "took obnoxious crap, left clean air".

as for placing a cache on a dumpster with the idea being for the cacher to take the dumpster stuff, this particular dumpster is in front of a library, obviously, a public library, which tosses awesome books on a daily basis for several reasons, therefore the cacher is taken by the gps to a place where books are being "given away" via a big metal container, sounds a lot like a cache to me. Its not buried, its in plain sight, there is no political agenda, there are books for the whole family in there, and although it says to go after hours, (hours have been posted on the cache page) it is available at all times of the day and night.

I am not forcing anyone to go in the dumpster as the cache is on the outside of it, but I am offering swag for those who want to go get it.

The micro is not soliciting my favorite business, it is not meant to be a png, although some have been making it one, and when i perform maintenance on this one, if i find business cards or advertisements of any kind, they will be removed since it is my cache and therefore i have my permission to do with it as i see fit.

Im happy to have so many floridians posting in this topic, its nice you all came out to say hello, maybe ill see you around soon, as for jambalaya, its on my list, just need a little more gas money to go head out that way and get it done.

as for placing a cache on a dumpster with the idea being for the cacher to take the dumpster stuff, this particular dumpster is in front of a library, obviously, a public library, which tosses awesome books on a daily basis for several reasons, therefore the cacher is taken by the gps to a place where books are being "given away" via a big metal container, sounds a lot like a cache to me. Its not buried, its in plain sight, there is no political agenda, there are books for the whole family in there, and although it says to go after hours, (hours have been posted on the cache page) it is available at all times of the day and night.

I am not forcing anyone to go in the dumpster as the cache is on the outside of it, but I am offering swag for those who want to go get it.

The micro is not soliciting my favorite business, it is not meant to be a png, although some have been making it one, and when i perform maintenance on this one, if i find business cards or advertisements of any kind, they will be removed since it is my cache and therefore i have my permission to do with it as i see fit.

Im happy to have so many floridians posting in this topic, its nice you all came out to say hello, maybe ill see you around soon, as for jambalaya, its on my list, just need a little more gas money to go head out that way and get it done.

That's probably the only dumpster that sounds interesting enough to look through.

Perhaps someone can suggest to the library to do a book sale instead. The libraries in my area has the books displayed on a table at the entrance, with a box for people to voluntarily put in money (typically 25c to $1) if they decide to buy a book.
Yeah. I'm flabbergasted that a library would just toss books into a dumpster. I mean, if they don't like the books, or maybe don't agree with that they say, then why not just have a big bonfire in the parking lot? Dumpsters cost money.

Lately, a cacher has been leaving leaflets for the Podcacher Podcast.

Although I'm a fan of the program, I think leaving these papers in the caches is kind of obnoxious.

Paper is not swag.

Paper is not a TB or Coin.

Leaflets are not a log or Signature Item

Bad form. And Podcacher should know better.

Just to reply to the bolded part: Even if it has pictures of dead presidents on it? I know of a few who like that paper swag...

Just to reply to the bolded part: Even if it has pictures of dead presidents on it? I know of a few who like that paper swag...

depends. if it's presidents of zimbabwe, they can keep it :blink:

On January 16, 2009, Zimbabwe announced plans for imminent issue of banknotes of $10 trillion, $20 trillion, $50 trillion, and $100 trillion. At the time of the announcement, the last was valued at around 30 US dollars, but that value was expected to evaporate swiftly.[41] Notably, those plans open a gap in the banknote series: there are none on the order of $200 billion or $1 trillion. It would take 100 of the $100 billion notes to make the same value as the next larger note, $10 trillion.

I would love to find one! I mean, how often are you going to come across a real $100 Trillion Dollar bill?

These would make great cache swag!

220px-Zimbabwe_Hyperinflation_2008_notes.jpg

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Perhaps someone can suggest to the library to do a book sale instead. The libraries in my area has the books displayed on a table at the entrance, with a box for people to voluntarily put in money (typically 25c to $1) if they decide to buy a book.
Yeah. I'm flabbergasted that a library would just toss books into a dumpster. I mean, if they don't like the books, or maybe don't agree with that they say, then why not just have a big bonfire in the parking lot? Dumpsters cost money.

To be honest, I'm flabbergasted too. Most local libraries I've been to will put books they no longer want at the very least in a free box or will have a book sale... but hey, whatever works for them.

Just to reply to the original question of this thread, and to inject my 2 cents. I have a cache, GC1ZN0T that is in front of an outdoors shop and I got permission from the owner to place it. I took some business cards and they gave me some store decals to put in it. I figured since they were closed on Sundays and Mondays it could be a contact source if some one wanted to check them out but the store was closed at that time. It has met with some very positive reviews.

has anyone else been finding peoples business cards, brochures, and just plain blatant advertising in caches? what do you do with this <potty language removed>? im going to start taking it out and throwing it away. caches are not billboards.

what do you do about caches that are obviously advertising a business. Not a unique store, but a chain, and im not talking about a silly lps, but rather the entire cache page is dedicated to the store, heres my latest example.

GC10EE3

its located just outside the door to the local west marine chain boating store.

its a micro, so the whole point of this cache was to bring people to this store. Which the owner of the cache may very well be the manager or some <potty language removed> of this store.

And so what about the cache outside the store? As long as you do not have to patronize the store to get the cache (which is against guidelines) who cares? We have one around here that is beside a military surplus store and is a cool hide. I didn't have to walk into the store, but hey, I had no idea it was there. Passed that info onto my hubby. He never knew about it either and was happy for the info.

While business cards and adverts are lame, it doesn't promote hate and is not harmful. Why the angst?

Just move onto the next cache.

A few years back I came across about 2500 mexican pesos left over from a mid 80's trip that had been stashed in a box stuck in a back closet. Current exchange rates put it at about $800, so I took them to the local bank to exchange them. Only problem was that they were old pesos and totally worthless. Guess I missed the memo that Mexico had revalued it's currency 10+ years earlier.

I have a vague recollection of the exchange rate being about 2500p=$1, and over tipping a bit at a group dinner so I could write 1 million pesos on the credit slip. :blink:

I would love to find one! I mean, how often are you going to come across a real $100 Trillion Dollar bill?

Everytime we visit our local collectible coins and currency shop.

I was looking for some last year. I checked eBay and the cheapest I could find was under US$1 per note (doesn't matter which one) in small quantities. Last time I checked it went up to about $2.50, mostly because the government revalued their money by removing all the extra 0s and stopped printing the $100 trillion. Actually, I just looked at Wikipedia, and it seems that the Zimbabwe government has suspended the currency.

I also found a Wikipedia link for least valued currency units.

I'm thinking of leaving one of mine as a FTF prize if I can come up with a good theme. They don't make good swag, for the same reason anything paper doesn't make good swag. There are sleeves and acrylic holders available, but they will not protect them from moisture.

Everytime we visit our local collectible coins and currency shop.

I was looking for some last year. I checked eBay and the cheapest I could find was under US$1 per note (doesn't matter which one) in small quantities. Last time I checked it went up to about $2.50, mostly because the government revalued their money by removing all the extra 0s and stopped printing the $100 trillion. Actually, I just looked at Wikipedia, and it seems that the Zimbabwe government has suspended the currency.

I also found a Wikipedia link for least valued currency units.

I'm thinking of leaving one of mine as a FTF prize if I can come up with a good theme. They don't make good swag, for the same reason anything paper doesn't make good swag. There are sleeves and acrylic holders available, but they will not protect them from moisture.

But if it's a FTF prize how long is it going to sit in the cache to get wet? Around here you can count the hours on one hand.

To be honest, I'm flabbergasted too. Most local libraries I've been to will put books they no longer want at the very least in a free box or will have a book sale... but hey, whatever works for them.

A friend ordered a used book from Amazon recently. On the receipt:

Condition: Used - Very Good

Comments: *WITHDRAWN LIBRARY COPY* with customary library mark/stickers; No markings in text

So, libraries are even making money with their unwanted/surplus books on Amazon, yet this one pays for a dumpster so they can toss them out? I think I'd be paying the head librarian's boss a visit real fast!

Edited by knowschad

ive been inside several library dumpsters, and EVERY SINGLE ONE ive been in had books in it.

the reason they have to toss books out, well there are a few reasons,

it costs the library money to catalogue books, it costs labor, as well as realestate, there just isnt enough space in any library for all the books donated on a daily basis, they cant possibly sell all the books they receive on the book sale, again there is not enough space, and honestly not enough people visit the library to buy books, after a few weeks in the sale bin the books have to be tossed. again it costs money to pay the workers to do all this,

EVERYTHING you could potentially buy gets thrown away at some point.

I dont see why its so far fetched to think books are getting tossed out on a daily basis, people read more online these days, and its much easier to find your books online,

your thoughts?

ive been inside several library dumpsters, and EVERY SINGLE ONE ive been in had books in it.

the reason they have to toss books out, well there are a few reasons,

it costs the library money to catalogue books, it costs labor, as well as realestate, there just isnt enough space in any library for all the books donated on a daily basis, they cant possibly sell all the books they receive on the book sale, again there is not enough space, and honestly not enough people visit the library to buy books, after a few weeks in the sale bin the books have to be tossed. again it costs money to pay the workers to do all this,

EVERYTHING you could potentially buy gets thrown away at some point.

I dont see why its so far fetched to think books are getting tossed out on a daily basis, people read more online these days, and its much easier to find your books online,

your thoughts?

Yikes! I agree with everything in this post! It's true, some libraries still have annual booksales but they still have to throw lots of them away now. The percentage of people who read actual books 30 years ago was small, now it is miniscule.

He helped me hide it. On a related note, (and a possible indicator of why it hasn't been found), when I hid the cache, my first choice for a location was about 12' deep, in crystal clear water. Kleetus filmed the cache being sunk with his waterproof camera. The ammo can was way too visible, so I had to exit my kayak, swim down and retrieve it, hiding it at a better spot nearby. The next day, Kleetus posted the video of the initial hide, and you can see an alligator watching this spectacle from the bottom. :blink:

I'd like to add, as a librarian, it's getting more common for libraries to either throw out or recycle unwanted books. A lot of people donate old books they don't want to their local library, who may not want them. In days of yore, when budgets were better, libraries would take the time to sort them, evaluate them, decide if they'd like them for their collections, hold book sales, and take part of book donation programs where they ship the unwanted books to libraries that do want them, some of them on the other side of the globe. But due to recent budget issues, these activities are seen as "cost prohibitive" and not worth the time or man-hours to deal with. As a lover of books, I hate those policies. But a lot of books are out of date, the original owners didn't want them so how good are they? Or you can hold a book sale, but what if some books don't get sold? It seems stupid, but trust me, librarians are not the folks who are all about tossing out books or hold book burnings.

I used to turn up at the Salvation Army depot every Thursday morning when they dropped the books (me, and all the used booksellers in town). Couldn't you just throw them in boxes and have the SA pick them up?

The SA around here doesn't pick up. BTW, we own a Colorado too. We like it.

and upset that a good number of regular sized caches ive been finding lately have been home to a bunch of peoples business cards, leaflets, and menus for their business. which is to me blatant advertising, and what i thought was against the rules which state something along the lines of no cache is allowed to be advertising for your business, i figured that extended to swag, i guess it doesn't.

Here's an idea, why don't you call some of the people who are on the business cards and flyers and menus and ask them about their geocaching swag? I think you will find that you are wrong in the assumption that they are trying to advertise, or even that the names on the cards are the same people who left them.

That's your opinion, which your entitled to, but why throw them away when they aren't impacting you at all? If I leave a book (non-religious, say Sci-Fi) do you consider that "pushing" that author on you - if you don't like the author? Why is it up to you to control what I might see and like? I've been on Weight Watchers for a couple of years now, is it OK for me to throw out anything that mentions food that I consider fattening? "Those McToy's come from the evil corp that is fattening up America, it's my duty to destroy every last one!"

I found my first ever Xian-spammed cache today. I thought it was pretty obnoxious. I don't go around putting Atheist propaganda in caches, and it's not like I don't have any of it. I don't expect caches to proselytize at me when I open them. Likewise I don't expect to encounter political propaganda of any sort. In my opinion caching should be just plain fun, that's the idea behind swag in the first place. It'll be the downfall of caching if it becomes a medium of marketing, ANY kind marketing, products, religion, politics. There's no shortage of that on the TV and internet, caches are sort of a safe-haven from all that ugliness.

Where's the joy going to be when a religious person takes their kids out, pops open a cache, and immediately they're exposed to a copy of "God is Not Great; How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens" ? And if caches are to be vectors for religion and politics, why not vulgarity/obscenity or beyond? After all, just because it's in there doesn't mean that you have to read it, and if I put such swag in a cache, then as you say, I'm not "pushing" it on anybody, right? Don't forget that nobody should control what goes in the cache because nobody should control what I might see and like. Period.

And as for the free-market suggestions, the "just don't go caching" &etc, it's not like you can avoid tainted caches. They're not marked on the website as having particular religious/political/etc content in them. I can't begin to address the "too bad, if you don't like such caches then stop caching", the Love It Or Leave It response ... the mind boggles.

... the mind boggles.

Yes! It Does! :P;)

I think the most important aspect regarding swag that one person may find inappropriate is this:

Trade up, trade even or don't trade. If you find something that bothers you, trade it out.

Agreed with one addendum: if by chance you find something that's so offensive to your particular belief system and you decide to just toss it in the first available trash can... don't post about it on the forums.

That's your opinion, which your entitled to, but why throw them away when they aren't impacting you at all? If I leave a book (non-religious, say Sci-Fi) do you consider that "pushing" that author on you - if you don't like the author? Why is it up to you to control what I might see and like? I've been on Weight Watchers for a couple of years now, is it OK for me to throw out anything that mentions food that I consider fattening? "Those McToy's come from the evil corp that is fattening up America, it's my duty to destroy every last one!"

I found my first ever Xian-spammed cache today. I thought it was pretty obnoxious. I don't go around putting Atheist propaganda in caches, and it's not like I don't have any of it. I don't expect caches to proselytize at me when I open them. Likewise I don't expect to encounter political propaganda of any sort. In my opinion caching should be just plain fun, that's the idea behind swag in the first place. It'll be the downfall of caching if it becomes a medium of marketing, ANY kind marketing, products, religion, politics. There's no shortage of that on the TV and internet, caches are sort of a safe-haven from all that ugliness.

Where's the joy going to be when a religious person takes their kids out, pops open a cache, and immediately they're exposed to a copy of "God is Not Great; How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens" ? And if caches are to be vectors for religion and politics, why not vulgarity/obscenity or beyond? After all, just because it's in there doesn't mean that you have to read it, and if I put such swag in a cache, then as you say, I'm not "pushing" it on anybody, right? Don't forget that nobody should control what goes in the cache because nobody should control what I might see and like. Period.

And as for the free-market suggestions, the "just don't go caching" &etc, it's not like you can avoid tainted caches. They're not marked on the website as having particular religious/political/etc content in them. I can't begin to address the "too bad, if you don't like such caches then stop caching", the Love It Or Leave It response ... the mind boggles.

It occurs to me that by including a title/author in your post it could be said that you are guilty of the same sort of thing you are complaining about.

I think the point is infidl is not leaving that book in the caches which would be advertising that set of beliefs (love book but you'd need a large cache to leave it in) but he (I'm assuming he not she) is finding other religious stuff in caches. This isn't about posting it on the forums but finding it in caches which are supposed to be neutral.

I personally don't put stuff that back up my belief system into caches and when I find stuff in caches that advertise for businesses, political agendas, religious stuff I just leave it there and pay little to no attention to it because I just don't care. I'm not going to let a few people splattering their beliefs all over everything ruin a game for me.