blatant advertising in caches

has anyone else been finding peoples business cards, brochures, and just plain blatant advertising in caches? what do you do with this <potty language removed>? im going to start taking it out and throwing it away. caches are not billboards.

what do you do about caches that are obviously advertising a business. Not a unique store, but a chain, and im not talking about a silly lps, but rather the entire cache page is dedicated to the store, heres my latest example.

GC10EE3

its located just outside the door to the local west marine chain boating store.

its a micro, so the whole point of this cache was to bring people to this store. Which the owner of the cache may very well be the manager or some <potty language removed> of this store.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

This cache??? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...73-80fc41c5ef6c

I don't see anything in the way of blatant advertishing on it?? Please explain? Is the name of the store mentioned? Is the photo the view from there? If it is outside the store - no problems there.

As for business cards and brochures - trade them out for something else if they bother you. There is no guideline about the commercial content of swag.

Or maybe the CO just hid one where he is already a customer so he will be able to easily maintain it? I don't see any advertising on this cache page either. I do see the occasional business card in a cache, but unless I am trading fairly, I won't remove it, and neither should the OP unless he is the cache owner and thinks his is maintaining his cache by doing so.

Lots of caches are hidden on commercial property; doesn't mean they are stumping for the business. The reviewers won't allow that in the text or title any more. There may be some older ones out there from when the guidelines were a bit looser on business names, but not any more.

has anyone else been finding peoples business cards, brochures, and just plain blatant advertising in caches? what do you do with this <potty language removed>? im going to start taking it out and throwing it away. caches are not billboards.

what do you do about caches that are obviously advertising a business. Not a unique store, but a chain, and im not talking about a silly lps, but rather the entire cache page is dedicated to the store, heres my latest example.

GC10EE3

its a micro, so the whole point of this cache was to bring people to this store. Which the owner of the cache may very well be the manager or some <potty language removed> of this store.

I see nothing wrong with the cache listing.

I see quite a lot wrong with the attitude and wording of your post and have once again asked a Moderator to remind you of proper forum etiquette.

Being that you are "new" around here, cut you some slack. Hit "ignore" and be on your way.

As for the "offending" swag, trade it out. I am more bothered by religious swag than commercial swag. But I leave it in the caches for those like-minded individuals that like religion with their caching.

Its like the TV: you don't like it, change the channel. We are lucky we have over 1 million "channels" to change where there is truly something for everyone.

has anyone else been finding peoples business cards, brochures, and just plain blatant advertising in caches? what do you do with this <potty language removed> ? im going to start taking it out and throwing it away. caches are not billboards.

GC10EE3

I see quite a lot wrong with the attitude and wording of your post and have once again asked a Moderator to remind you of proper forum etiquette.

thanks...

im not sure what in my post was offensive. but i appreciate the concern for the children who frequent this forum. who im sure hear far worse on their bus ride to and from school.

GC10EE3

thanks...

im not sure what in my post was offensive. but i appreciate the concern for the children who frequent this forum. who im sure hear far worse on their bus ride to and from school.

I'm not worried about children, I seriously doubt that many read this forum. I am concerned that the forum *I* participate in most often remain friendly and civil. :unsure:

I see nothing wrong with the cache listing either.

I do see something wrong with the OP's attitude and line of reasoning. I don't see the problem with forum etiquette though, unless serial thread creation is a sin. Come to think of it, it should be...

This cache??? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...73-80fc41c5ef6c

I don't see anything in the way of blatant advertishing on it?? Please explain? Is the name of the store mentioned? Is the photo the view from there? If it is outside the store - no problems there.

As for business cards and brochures - trade them out for something else if they bother you. There is no guideline about the commercial content of swag.

The picture is defintely not from the store. The only thing you see in the pic of the store is the usual asphalt you'll see at any other run of the mill parking lot micro:

4678926463_c1ee3ea27b.jpg

I don't leave my business card in caches because I would consider that to be advertising for my business. But that's me. I simply ignore cards left by others, I don't CITO them.

Also, being in front of a store doesn't bother me. There are lots of P&Gs in wally world lots, but it has never crossed my mind that it's a conspiracy by said chain to bring people there.

ETA I'm not offended by anything the op has posted. sometimes annoyed, I'll admit, but that's my problem.

Edited by dorqie

youre all probably right, its not really advertising, the page doesn't exactly list the name of the store, perhaps its not the owner, or manager of the store trying to bring in more business through geocaching (what a silly thing to do in the first place, since people picking up these easy png smileys are typically out for the numbers, or just dropping by to and from work, and not necessarily interested in going inside the store.

the op was about how I have found a ton of these png type caches, which are always micros out in front of chain businesses, sometimes i can tell if the person is just hiding these for the number hunters, because they hide a bunch of them at all sort of businesses around town, idk this one just struck me as lame, and advertizing, it was a gut feeling, i didnt look into where else this person had hid other caches if they had even hid them i suppose i should have done it, i was just angry at yet another shrub grubber, right in front of a chain business.

and upset that a good number of regular sized caches ive been finding lately have been home to a bunch of peoples business cards, leaflets, and menus for their business. which is to me blatant advertising, and what i thought was against the rules which state something along the lines of no cache is allowed to be advertising for your business, i figured that extended to swag, i guess it doesn't.

i was just angry at yet another shrub grubber, right in front of a chain business.

I found the following to help me have more fun caching. If I come across something that I don't want to search, I leave quickly.

what i thought was against the rules which state something along the lines of no cache is allowed to be advertising for your business, i figured that extended to swag, i guess it doesn't.

So to pre-empt your next thread, advertising is allowed for trackables. I don't know why, but it has been confirmed multiple times in the forums.

And advertising in the cache log can be grounds for log deletion. Even advertising a geocaching event. I don't understand this particular one either.

...what i thought was against the rules which state something along the lines of no cache is allowed to be advertising for your business, i figured that extended to swag, i guess it doesn't.

If a cache is submitted and the owner mentions that there is advertising material in it, there is a good chance the reviewer will make the owner remove it before he publishes a cache. If the cache owner doesn't mention that the materials are in the cache, or if they are added later, there is little that Groundspeak could do about it. There really is no way to control what people put in caches.

If you see things that you believe to be inappropriate then trade them out.

And advertising in the cache log can be grounds for log deletion. Even advertising a geocaching event. I don't understand this particular one either.

Because some were abusing this in their logs and it became spammy.

As a CO I want to read about your experience finding my cache, not a three page invite to your event next month.

As a following cacher I want the same thing.

when I started, i thought it was against the guidlines to leave business cards

i will admit that the first cache I found stuffed full of them, i got a little upset, and re-read the guidlines when I got home, and it's not as clear cut as I thought the first time I read them.

I still don't like it, but my little protest is simply not participating in the practice.

I also figure that people who do this for the most part aren't thinking about advertising, but more as a kind of signature item "i was here" type thing.

Edited by dorqie

youre all probably right, its not really advertising, the page doesn't exactly list the name of the store, perhaps its not the owner, or manager of the store trying to bring in more business through geocaching (what a silly thing to do in the first place, since people picking up these easy png smileys are typically out for the numbers, or just dropping by to and from work, and not necessarily interested in going inside the store.

the op was about how I have found a ton of these png type caches, which are always micros out in front of chain businesses, sometimes i can tell if the person is just hiding these for the number hunters, because they hide a bunch of them at all sort of businesses around town, idk this one just struck me as lame, and advertizing, it was a gut feeling, i didnt look into where else this person had hid other caches if they had even hid them i suppose i should have done it, i was just angry at yet another shrub grubber, right in front of a chain business.

and upset that a good number of regular sized caches ive been finding lately have been home to a bunch of peoples business cards, leaflets, and menus for their business. which is to me blatant advertising, and what i thought was against the rules which state something along the lines of no cache is allowed to be advertising for your business, i figured that extended to swag, i guess it doesn't.

B

You are right it doesn't

Secondly, it may bother you but there are thousands of other players that have been doing this far longer than you and enjoy it just fine. Just cause it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it should be done away with.again, if you don't like it, don't do it and stop trying to change things to suit yourself. I personally like the game as is, I can do without some of it but it's the status quo of a game I started playing 4 years ago.

BTW just on my own soapbox--Your rants are growing tiresome, are you sure this is a game you really want to play? because I see you are making far more enemies than friends. Just an observation on my part Let's all play nice nice and move forward.

BTW just on my own soapbox--Your rants are growing tiresome, are you sure this is a game you really want to play?

I'm not positive, but I think ranting is part of his game. I'm going to assume he enjoys ranting and just not react strongly to them.

If he starts running geocaching.com, I'll start worrying.

has anyone else been finding peoples business cards, brochures, and just plain blatant advertising in caches? what do you do with this <potty language removed> ? im going to start taking it out and throwing it away. caches are not billboards.

GC10EE3

thanks...

Posting using potty language is not appropriate in these forums.

Then the question becomes: If you don't like these sorts of chaches, why do you continue to hunt them and then complain about them??

now that I think about it... Why would placing a cache out side of a door of a boating place help them get more business? I don't see it.

Even if a cache has over 100 visits, that's over time, and that's hardly bringing in business.

I placed a cache outside of where I work. I didn't do it to bring business in. I did it because it looked like a neat place to hide it, and it would be easy to maintain if need be.

Perhaps this CO does work for or own this business. Maybe he likes geocaching and wanted one near by...

The guy who left the cache is obviously a sailor. Look at his name! He has found 652 caches. Been a member since 06. He has 14 caches and most of them are related to sailing in some way shape or form.

I honestly just think he like sailing and this is probably a shop he frequents.

Advertising in geocaching is not allowed by the rules. This is not advertising. Advertising would be some thing like a cache page that says, Come on in. We are the best shop Blah blah blah. Mention this cache and get 10% off. Here at bobs house of selling things!!

And or having a cache container full of advertising literature.

I have a cache that is near a restaurant and I like the place. there is quite a bit of history behind the place. I am sure some one may thing I own it or work there, but I don't. I just like the place, and its a great place to stop for lunch while caching.

Edited by mchaos

Last month I found 47 caches. In 12 caches I found copies of the New Testament. They all went to the recycle bin.

Why?

That's advertising. Pushing god is IMO the first form of marketing. I hate people who push any kind of religion onto people.

Last month I found 47 caches. In 12 caches I found copies of the New Testament. They all went to the recycle bin.

Why?

That's advertising. Pushing god is IMO the first form of marketing. I hate people who push any kind of religion onto people.

That's your opinion, which your entitled to, but why throw them away when they aren't impacting you at all? If I leave a book (non-religious, say Sci-Fi) do you consider that "pushing" that author on you - if you don't like the author? Why is it up to you to control what I might see and like? I've been on Weight Watchers for a couple of years now, is it OK for me to throw out anything that mentions food that I consider fattening? "Those McToy's come from the evil corp that is fattening up America, it's my duty to destroy every last one!"

As to "Advertising" - this whole thread is pointing out that there is no rule/guideling against swag that advertises - if it did you'd have to get rid of everything that had a name or logo on it. Most caches would then be empty...

That's your opinion, which your entitled to, but why throw them away when they aren't impacting you at all?

There's a guy who leaves Sweet Potatoes Tracts and if I find them I'm taking them out.

Not sure how that impacts you.

Edited by BlueDeuce
I hate people who push any kind of religion onto people.

My initial thought was, this is perhaps the most idiotic thing I've ever read in an Internet forum. Then I remembered something Rosie O'Donnell, (or likely some sock using her name), posted on an old DNC forum. Whew! For a minute there I thought a record had been broken! It does beg the question, if I put a bible, or some other religious text, into a Tupperware container out in the woods, which you later visit, how exactly am I pushing something on you? Does the act of opening a cache suddenly strip away your free will? Does the fact that it is sitting there, buried under McCrap, force you to read it?

My particular religious bent requires that I respect the religious beliefs of others.

I call it "Tolerance".

If you ever get tired of carrying hate around, you might give it a shot.

That's your opinion, which your entitled to, but why throw them away when they aren't impacting you at all?

There's a guy who leaves Sweet Potatoes Tracts and if I find them I'm taking them out.

Hmm. Any recipe's on them?

My initial thought was, this is perhaps the most idiotic thing I've ever read in an Internet forum. Then I remembered something Rosie O'Donnell, (or likely some sock using her name), posted on an old DNC forum. Whew! For a minute there I thought a record had been broken! It does beg the question, if I put a bible, or some other religious text, into a Tupperware container out in the woods, which you later visit, how exactly am I pushing something on you? Does the act of opening a cache suddenly strip away your free will? Does the fact that it is sitting there, buried under McCrap, force you to read it?

My particular religious bent requires that I respect the religious beliefs of others.

I call it "Tolerance".

If you ever get tired of carrying hate around, you might give it a shot.

Awesome. This is one of my favorite posts ever!

To the OP. The beauty of geocaching is that we have a lot of leeway to enjoy the game as we see fit as long as the guidelines are followed. In fact, it's one reason why this game is my favorite hobby. If I don't like something, I just don't do it.

One thing I've come to realize is that one cache that I hate may be someone else's favorite. If I find a cache I don't like, I try to find something that I do like about the surrounding area, or the outing that I'm on, or the day that I'm having, or the people that I'm with, etc etc. And then I end up having fun anyway, so it's great :)

To the OP. Lighten up buddy! Try to enjoy things for what they are. If you don't like something in a cache, just leave it there. Someone else might think it's awesome, even if you can't see how great that particular item is. It seems your list of things you don't like about caching is growing and growing... maybe find something else to do that really makes you happy. :D

As Clan Riffster said, we all have free will. If I see a business item or religious tract in a cache, I just leave it there. Someone else, especially in the case of religious material, may think it's exactly what they needed to find.

Hmm. Any recipe's on them?

Oh yes, wonderful ones. Let me know if you would like some. I don't plan to be caching in your area any time soon.

Gee ashnikes Rough ride on your post for opinions. As you can see there are plenty that will share. Perhaps more than you thought. Perhaps more folks that are close by than you might have also thought.

Breath Deep and do not let it stop you from using the forums, asking questions or even expressing your concerns. That is what it is there for and we all learn as we go. (However, because this is an international forum & sport there are some important guideline you might want to familiarize yourself with so your post don't get chewed up and spit back at you - attitude weighs heavily in here sometimes).

The best advise probably was if it bothers you ignore it and move on try to look at the positive (tolerance). Course with P&G's in a parking lot there really isn't much IMHO so one could see why the focus might shift...LOL

It it makes you feel better perhaps a NICE note to the Cache owner and then just let it go.

No worries - Hope to run into you on the trails.

hmmm...

very good points everyone...

and yes i could chose to ignore the things in life i do not agree with.

I was under the impression geocaching was a game for everyone interested in it in some form or another.

i understand some people want to hide caches where they are convenient to maintain, a favorite store you shop or work in frequently is a grand place i suppose, and thats great,

hiding your cache, a micro, which is nothing more than a log in a pill bottle, in front of a national, and in some cases international chain store is lame. Putting your business card inside, is even lamer, telling everyone on the cache page its your favorite place to shop, fine, thats great, help bring the business... business.

I came, got your smiley, and left, thinking this is a part of geocaching i think is lame. there was no prize, except that i found someones mouth to mouth advertising for their favorite national chain store, nothing historically significant, no wondrous architectural ingenuity, the cache itself wasnt even awesome. If the cacher had not been lazy, and perhaps made his black 35mm container inside of a sailboat, on the roof, with a puzzle attached or something, it would have been fun. having to search through low shrubbery for half an hour to find a wet log in a plain jane 35mm container, basically put right on the building of this boating store to show me where some guys favorite boating store was located was lame.

im ranting in an online forum to people who geocache same as i do, because i thought it was a lame and lazy way to geocache, and honestly not worth anyones time to go retrieve. (i guess unless you want to improve your numbers, which i understand some people do.) i wanted reassurance i wasnt the only one who thought this form of geocaching was lame, and some of you agreed, some of you didnt, some of you just plain hate my guts because i like your wife or husband or kids or sig other, complain to you about things that happen to them during the course of their day, you have no control over.

i got some reassurance that this type of planting of a cache was lazy and really only about the numbers, and thats all i wanted.

cue hateful remarks towards me now about how i should stop geocaching, because i hate MOST micros, which are placed obviously in front of chain stores, for no reason other than number counting, in lame non creative containers, with no real swag for me to exchange with.

or how I hate looking for an hour in the woods for an ammo can only to find the only swag inside of it are business cards and pamphlets.

other than those two things, i love geocaching, and am hiding my own caches, as well as trading out poor swag for awesome swag, because thats the part of the game i love the most, besides being able to find new cool places other people love, and loving them in turn myself.

hmmm...

very good points everyone...

and yes i could chose to ignore the things in life i do not agree with.

I was under the impression geocaching was a game for everyone interested in it in some form or another.

i understand some people want to hide caches where they are convenient to maintain, a favorite store you shop or work in frequently is a grand place i suppose, and thats great,

hiding your cache, a micro, which is nothing more than a log in a pill bottle, in front of a national, and in some cases international chain store is lame. Putting your business card inside, is even lamer, telling everyone on the cache page its your favorite place to shop, fine, thats great, help bring the business... business.

I came, got your smiley, and left, thinking this is a part of geocaching i think is lame. there was no prize, except that i found someones mouth to mouth advertising for their favorite national chain store, nothing historically significant, no wondrous architectural ingenuity, the cache itself wasnt even awesome. If the cacher had not been lazy, and perhaps made his black 35mm container inside of a sailboat, on the roof, with a puzzle attached or something, it would have been fun. having to search through low shrubbery for half an hour to find a wet log in a plain jane 35mm container, basically put right on the building of this boating store to show me where some guys favorite boating store was located was lame.

im ranting in an online forum to people who geocache same as i do, because i thought it was a lame and lazy way to geocache, and honestly not worth anyones time to go retrieve. (i guess unless you want to improve your numbers, which i understand some people do.) i wanted reassurance i wasnt the only one who thought this form of geocaching was lame, and some of you agreed, some of you didnt, some of you just plain hate my guts because i like your wife or husband or kids or sig other, complain to you about things that happen to them during the course of their day, you have no control over.

i got some reassurance that this type of planting of a cache was lazy and really only about the numbers, and thats all i wanted.

cue hateful remarks towards me now about how i should stop geocaching, because i hate MOST micros, which are placed obviously in front of chain stores, for no reason other than number counting, in lame non creative containers, with no real swag for me to exchange with.

or how I hate looking for an hour in the woods for an ammo can only to find the only swag inside of it are business cards and pamphlets.

other than those two things, i love geocaching, and am hiding my own caches, as well as trading out poor swag for awesome swag, because thats the part of the game i love the most, besides being able to find new cool places other people love, and loving them in turn myself.

You know it is really hard to hide an ammo can in a stump in the middle of town. Sometimes you just got to hold your nose and drop a 35mm film can in a bush.

So why do you look for those caches, if they're so lame?

Lately, a cacher has been leaving leaflets for the Podcacher Podcast.

Although I'm a fan of the program, I think leaving these papers in the caches is kind of obnoxious.

Paper is not swag.

Paper is not a TB or Coin.

Leaflets are not a log or Signature Item

Bad form. And Podcacher should know better.

Podcacher might not be encouraging folks to leave the leaflets as SWAG, so it may not be their fault that someone else chooses to drop them; just sayin'

They do, actually.

"Print the PodCacher Promo Sheets (Half Sheet or Quarter Sheet) to put in caches and bring to events"

at : http://www.podcacher.com/?page_id=287

Personally, it doesn't upset me. For other swag / hides, life's too short to get upset about what I have absolutely no control over.

Podcacher might not be encouraging folks to leave the leaflets as SWAG, so it may not be their fault that someone else chooses to drop them; just sayin'

They do, actually.

"Print the PodCacher Promo Sheets (Half Sheet or Quarter Sheet) to put in caches and bring to events"

at : http://www.podcacher.com/?page_id=287

Personally, it doesn't upset me. For other swag / hides, life's too short to get upset about what I have absolutely no control over.

Oh I see! Personally it doesn't bother me either. Thanks for putting the facts straight :)

Why?

Then trade out for it and THEN toss it in the trash. The same thing goes for trading out a Playboy or knife, or anything else you feel doesn't belong.

It still has value and you should trade it out; not simply take it and put it in the trash.

Various toy/party favor stores sell religious stuff. I find all sorts of religious tokens, toys, bracelets, etc in caches. I just leave them and work around to something I'm interested in. It's not my thing but it is someone's thing and if someone is happy finding it more power to them. Someone here was leaving some novels in caches for a hot second. I grabbed one out of a cache and it certainly wouldn't have been the taste of many people but I always liked that book. I would have been bummed out if someone didn't like the political message of the book and decided to just simply throw it out. But to each their own.