I searched for my BM near my house.

Agent Okie

This afternoon I took my daughter and went searching for the BM nearest our house. This one seemed pretty forward from the description. We walked the tracks and then realized that the stone culvert was on the other side of the road! We found the culvert, but it looked newer. It was certainly not built in 1934!

However, on the center top of the culvert was an X with a circle painted around it. This X is right where the description says the BM should be. I looked around for the marker thinking it had been knocked off. I even sratched at the X a little bit to see if it was buried in new concrete. But, alas, it wasn't there.

My first BM hunt was a bust. However, I believe I did find the mark (X marks the spot! icon_smile.gif) When I get batteries for the digital camera, I will document the two water towers near our house, the church steeple, and any other obvious BM in the area. But what do I do about the mysterious X and painted circle??

I will be adding a signature soon! icon_smile.gif

Many times in my explorations and searches, I have found the spot of a 1936 or 1942 benchmark only to find an obviously newer bridge or culvert in its place. Just the way it goes sometimes. The mark is not there anymore and you move on to the next one. I, for one, like benchmark hunting because the mark may NOT be there. Perhaps I am a masochist? icon_redface.gif

Juanbob icon_eek.gif

If the description called for a disk and you found and X, then its just a coincidence that its in the same location. An X is a very common type of mark, frequently made by local surveyors. In fact, if you serarch closely, you wlll probably find an X somewhere on virtually every bridge or major culvert, particularly those at or near road intersections. Its also not uncommon to find some kind of marker at or near the location where an NGS marker once was, since the NGS surveyors generally chose their locations very well, and subsequent surveyors have set what amount to undocumented replacements for the lost original at the most useful spots, such as the one you describe. Still, the fact that its in the same vicinity does not mean that it is historically connected to the original in any way, and usually they are not.