Logging Question ?

Personal choice.

Generally I don't log caches that I've placed or helped place. I didn't really "Find" anything, since I already knew where it was :blink:

Many people think the contrary, so I'm sure you'll get the gamut of opinions and you're friend will just have to make up their own mind in the end.

Good luck!

ediot splling

Edited by Touchstone

It's fairly common around here for people to log a find on a shared cache, or on a cache they used to own. It's a personal decision that doesn't affect anybody else.

I'm really not sure why someone would use a word as disparaging as "retarded" to describe this. Best to ignore the humourless geocache puritans.

It is retarded, but I guess people are entitled to be one. It doesn't effect my count.

Who cares about "the count" you're not going to win anything for having the most. And, obviously you do care otherwise you wouldn't call someone a 'retard'. If you truly don't care then why call names, and if you DO care say so.

Caching tells a lot about a person's character. Only the person, him/her self, knows the truth. The bottom line is I hope that all people do the right thing regardless, but I know we live in a world of liars, cheats and name callers. Guess all of us don't grow up beyond middle school.

I have considered doing this to get the "unfound cache" off of my map. In the end, I didn't because I see it as misrepresentation. Now every time I want to see how many caches I found, I have to subtract one from the listed value.

Can you "find" something that you already know where it is?

It is retarded, but I guess people are entitled to be one. It doesn't effect my count.

Who cares about "the count" you're not going to win anything for having the most. And, obviously you do care otherwise you wouldn't call someone a 'retard'. If you truly don't care then why call names, and if you DO care say so.

Caching tells a lot about a person's character. Only the person, him/her self, knows the truth. The bottom line is I hope that all people do the right thing regardless, but I know we live in a world of liars, cheats and name callers. Guess all of us don't grow up beyond middle school.

humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result.

You want to find the word that definition belongs too?

~~~EDIT~~~

altered a homonym.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result.

~~~EDIT~~~

altered a homonym.

Honor virtutis praemium (esteem is the reward of virtue... edited the less the kind response that was posted.

Edited by K T S

I apologize the last response was too much, and get's us off the topic of logging a find. Log anything you want, because in the end this is about having fun. Since you asked about it my guess is that you feel it may not be the right thing to do; if so go with your gut and don't log it. Otherwise log the cache and move on. No one is going to take your first born, or even batteries from your gps for logging this cache. Have fun [:blink:]

Another cacher and i hid a cache today...I will publish the cache with my name 1st and his 2nd...My question is can he log it as a find if he visits the cache after its been published ???

This is geocaching, there are literally no moral obligations. If numbers matter to you, log it as a find. If they don't but you want to log it, do it.

One way or the other, the purpose of the game is for you to have fun. As long as you adhere to the guidelines, don't worry as much what is "kosher", beyond showing courtesy and respect to others.

Logging a find on a cache you have been to is something I feel you don't need to "ask" to do.

~~~EDIT~~~

altered a homonym.

I would expect a definition in your own words, or at least cite your source. For others the word being referenced is irony from the Latin ironia (by the way this is a feminine word, don't know if it means anything)

Honor virutis preamium (do you know what that means?)

No need to cite my source as the definition I have used cannot be found in singularity other than where I have posted it.

To pose that there plagiarizeation (can't seem to spell that correctly for the life of me) without citing the source is dishonorable don't ya think?

To pose that there is no virtue in using a memorized definition also also shows zero virtue don't ya think?

And failing to see that when a challenge is posed, citing a source reduces the level of challenge is just...

Well never you mind what I think it is, I'll leave that to your imagination. :blink:

~~spelling~~~

Edited by Vater_Araignee

I have considered doing this to get the "unfound cache" off of my map. In the end, I didn't because I see it as misrepresentation. Now every time I want to see how many caches I found, I have to subtract one from the listed value.

Can you "find" something that you already know where it is?

I had this problem a couple of days ago. I was just using CachingStats for the first time and saw that I had double logged one cache. So, since I am nearing 1000, I went back and found the double log and deleted it. Now it changed some of the later milestones by one, but I feel better about it. What is one find more if it is not right anyway. (See...the real game is life itself..and how you play that game.)

Today my partner placed a cache, and later this evening it was published.

I was with her when she placed it, took coords average with my gps to compare with hers, got rained on with her, and in general did the things that a cache partner does.

Now it may not sound like much, but if I break it down I didn't see the actual cache container until she took it out of her pack... That's when I "found" it.

Yeah, I signed the log, not as FTF, but with today's date. Once it has an FTF then I'll log it online.

~~~EDIT~~~

altered a homonym.

I would expect a definition in your own words, or at least cite your source. For others the word being referenced is irony from the Latin ironia (by the way this is a feminine word, don't know if it means anything)

Honor virutis preamium (do you know what that means?)

No need to cite my source as the definition I have used cannot be found in singularity other than where I have posted it.

To pose that there plagiarizeation (can't seem to spell that correctly for the life of me) without citing the source is dishonorable don't ya think?

To pose that there is no virtue in using a memorized definition also also shows zero virtue don't ya think?

And failing to see that when a challenge is posed, citing a source reduces the level of challenge is just...

Well never you mind what I think it is, I'll leave that to your imagination. :blink:

~~spelling~~~

The blue one seems to be in rare form tonight. I'll have to read this post two or three more times to get it fully, but I think I got the gist :mad:

Back on topic, it's not something I would do. Like somebody, or several somebodys, before me said; I never found it. I knew where it was from the beginning. I see it as no different than logging your own hide as a find. Are there rules against it? Nope. If that's how you want to play the game, by all means, go ahead. It just looks like bad form from this side of the rock.

My definition of find:

To search for and locate an object who's location was previously unknown to the searcher.

Based on my official definition, you can not find a cache that you hid, or helped hide. Wanting to get the cache off of your nearby unfound list does not change the fact that you did not find it.

Maybe GS should make some why to list yourself as the CO Hider, giving you a star on the cache map rather than a smiley (found) or a unfound icon.

My definition of find:

To search for and locate an object who's location was previously unknown to the searcher.

Based on my official definition, you can not find a cache that you hid, or helped hide. Wanting to get the cache off of your nearby unfound list does not change the fact that you did not find it.

Maybe GS should make some why to list yourself as the CO Hider, giving you a star on the cache map rather than a smiley (found) or a unfound icon.

^ that.

My definition of find:

^ that.

WOW, I think that is the first time that brslk and I have ever aggreed on anything.

My definition of find:

^ that.

WOW, I think that is the first time that brslk and I have ever aggreed on anything.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :blink:

I think it's absurd that a cacher would even consider logging a find on a cache that they have hidden or helped hidden.

I think it's absurd to get into a tizzy about someone else's finds. It doesn't affect your geocaching experience in any way. If you don't think it's right, don't do it.

Geocaching.com allows users to log multiple finds on a cache, to log our own caches, to hide caches under different names. When the ALR business came up, they made it pretty clear that a person who signs the log is entitled to claim the find. Clearly, Groundspeak is not interested in ground-level disputes about this stuff. We each have to make the call for ourselves.

Since there's no official way to claim joint ownership of a cache, some people use a find log to denote the shared ownership. It's nothing to get upset about, and telling others it's absurd (or calling them retarded) is an unnecessary and unreasonable reaction to a harmless personal choice that you are free to make differently.

technically yes, however, those that "hide" the cache with their name as the hider shouldn't really claim it as a cache. But people will play the game as they want to.

I think the majority of cachers will find that in poor taste.

Are you claiming it as a find? Why or Why not?

Another cacher and i hid a cache today...I will publish the cache with my name 1st and his 2nd...My question is can he log it as a find if he visits the cache after its been published ???

Can he? Sure. So can you for that matter. Not sure why anyone would want to log find on a cache he helped hide though.

I think it's absurd to get into a tizzy about someone else's finds.

Is anybody in a tizzy here? The OP asked a question and people are answering it.

Edited by briansnat

Can he? Sure. So can you for that matter. Not sure why anyone would want to log find on a cache he helped hide though.

Is anybody in a tizzy here? The OP asked a question and people are answering it.

The reason for my question was that i am trying to be a good example to a 13 year old boy,who has just started caching and thinks of me as a mentor ...I want to share the proper info with him and because this situation never occurred before for myself i thought the geocaching community would give me guidance regarding the situation..

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Not all clocks, broken or not! :blink:

The reason for my question was that i am trying to be a good example to a 13 year old boy,who has just started caching and thinks of me as a mentor ...I want to share the proper info with him and because this situation never occurred before for myself i thought the geocaching community would give me guidance regarding the situation..

Bottom line answer: Some do, most do not. :mad:

I guess it depends if one is after the "smiley" or not. Sometimes the "score" is important to some.

sign the log... a full page "FTF!!!" with a rant about how it was found late one night while wearing pink bunny slippers...and how you told your wife it would only be 10 minutes but turned into 3 hours... and how thrilling it was to see a cache hidden in such a pristine area....

:mad::blink:

Personally I din't think it is wrong to log a find on a cache you helped hide. To me it is no worse than signing a log on a cache you fund with a group if you were not the first to spot it. I don't think a person should claim FTF on a cache they helped hide, but since FTF is meaningless to some, so what. If it's not your cache log it. And keep hiding caches for the rest of us to find. :)

Personally I din't think it is wrong to log a find on a cache you helped hide. To me it is no worse than signing a log on a cache you fund with a group if you were not the first to spot it. I don't think a person should claim FTF on a cache they helped hide, but since FTF is meaningless to some, so what. If it's not your cache log it. And keep hiding caches for the rest of us to find. :)

While I don't mind if a cacher logs one they helped find or not, I don't see it as the same as a group find. In a typical group find, everyone is looking for the cache (and none of them know where it is), so they are all contributing to the find. E.g. I looked on one side of the fence, my caching partner looked on the other; he happened to find it, but I contributed by checking the other side of the fence. This is different (to me) from hiding a cache with someone then later claiming a find.

Obviously, as you can see, it's frowned upon to log a cache that you helped place, but honestly, it doesn't hurt anyone, and it's not against the guidelines. It doesn't affect my game... do what you want in this situation. I personally wouldn't do it, and I don't agree with it, but it's not for me to say. It's your decision :)