Garmin etrex venture HC

got this device today, spent a fair while checking reviews etc so i hope i have found the right one for me. i have a question that im hoping someone will be able to answer for me.

I downloaded a few geocaches to my device and i can work out how to get it working so im finding the geocache. on the screen that has distance and speed etc there is a field at the bottom that says note. if i click on it, it says "extreme chevin by scott 52002", is there any way to get more info in this note field? if i were a premium member would the downloaded cache files have more info or anything?

thankyou for any help!

is there any way to get more info in this note field? if i were a premium member would the downloaded cache files have more info or anything?

Not really, the Note field only shows the name of the cache. That unit is Geocaching friedly, not a paperless unit. To get more cache info on that unit you would have to use something like GSAK and a maco to load POIs that contain the info.

is there any way to get more info in this note field? if i were a premium member would the downloaded cache files have more info or anything?

Not really, the Note field only shows the name of the cache. That unit is Geocaching friedly, not a paperless unit. To get more cache info on that unit you would have to use something like GSAK and a maco to load POIs that contain the info.

I agree there is not much room to add any info. On another topic what is the best accuracy your venture has picked up. I cannot get any better than 16 feet.

I agree there is not much room to add any info. On another topic what is the best accuracy your venture has picked up. I cannot get any better than 16 feet.

First off - that figure is not 'accuracy'. It is what is known as the EPE (Estimated Postion Error). Basically it is a low confidence calculated value that you can read something like "I think the current reading is within xxx feet of the actual coordinates under the current signal strength and sat constellation - at least 60% of the time". You just cannot know if it is actually within that distance.

Don't put a lot of stock into it. The typical handheld receiver has an average accuracy in the 15 to 25 foot range. All that means is that when your GPS says you are within 20 feet or so - put the unit away and start looking for likely hiding spots.

It might not be as sophisticated as GSAK, but you can use MapSource - the program that came with your GPSr to edit the note. Download the cache to MapSource then open the properties for the waypoint. Edit the comment field in the waypoint properties window and resave the waypoint. Then send it to your GPSr. Be brief, use shorthand and use only the most important information because the size of the note field is limited, i.e. the GPSr might not accept all of the information that you typed into the comment field.