COTTON PICKER SPINDLE?

happycycler

Is this a COTTON PICKER SPINDLE?Yahoo!%2bPhoto%2bAlbum%26.dnm=another%2bview%2bof%2bSpindle--maybe.jpg%26.src=ph

This one was not associatd with any benchmark from the database but was maybe associated with a pipe that sticks out of the Mississippi River floodwall. I noticed it today while bicycling along the Riverfront Trail. I have seen references to COTTON PICKER SPINDLE in the database though.

Another view:Yahoo!%2bPhoto%2bAlbum%26.dnm=another%2bview%2bof%2bSpindle--maybe.jpg%26.src=ph

My first try at getting images from my Yahoo Briefcase to this forum....

Thanx Dusty

Sorry folks. The following look like links -- BUT they do not work -- to view the photos, copy the text and paste into your browser. Much more trouble than it si worth. icon_frown.gif

The following text will allow one to copy & paste it into their browser window!

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Shores/4924/Cotton_Planter_Spindle8.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Shores/4924/pipe_spindle.jpg

I cound not get the IMG nor the URL 9tags) to work. I am doing something wrong here -- something stupid. icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by happycycler on March 08, 2003 at 08:08 PM.]

[This message was edited by happycycler on March 08, 2003 at 08:14 PM.]

I can't see any of your pictures (?) but I can tell you what a cotton spindle is. A cotton spindle (CSP) was originally designed for use in a cotton gin to pick the cotton bolls from the plant. Surveyors have found them to be very handy for other things. I use them often as turning points, temporary jobsite benchmarks and control points.

A CSP is generally shaped like a nail, about 4" long, 1/2" in diameter and made of hardened steel. The head has a beveled gear head about an inch across. (The gear is to make it turn in the cotton gin.) On the top of the head is a small divot that makes positioning a surveyor's rod very easy. The top of the shaft, just below the head, is smooth and cylindrical and usually has scoring or wear marks from spinning in the gin. The lower 2"-2.5" has a taper with three grooves cut lengthwise on the taper. Along one side of each groove are a series of teeth, used to snag the cotton bolls from the plant as the spindle spins. For a surveyor, these teeth help to anchor the spindle into the asphalt or other survace they may be pounded into.

I'll post a picture later, if I can find one.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

Thank you Kewaneh & Shark.

That may be what I found -- based on your description. I only have a photo of the end that is at the pavement surface. It does look like a gear almost 1 inch in diameter -- the shaft is not visible. Looks like a central divot also.

I can not see what silly thing that I am doing wrong with those photos! When I paste the URL into my browser "Address" window -- it come up fine -- but as a link -- no work!!. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

I may keep beating that dead horse from time to time icon_wink.gif