Caches in your "home" area

I recently moved. All new nearby caches, cool.

I had already found pretty much every cache within a few miles of my old house, now I'm working on the new house area.

Questions.

How big is your found circle? If you drew a circle around your home, how far do you have to go till you have an unfound cache?

Or, have all of your finds been elsewhere, and you have not bothered to search locally? I could figure a city dweller heading to the country, etc.

I had already found pretty much every cache within a few miles of my old house, now I'm working on the new house area.

Questions.

How big is your found circle? If you drew a circle around your home, how far do you have to go till you have an unfound cache?

Or, have all of your finds been elsewhere, and you have not bothered to search locally? I could figure a city dweller heading to the country, etc.

The closest caches that haven't been found are around 37 miles away. There were only a handful that were in my area and then majority were 30+ miles away.

Questions.

Been caching less than 2 months, in a 9 mile radius there are over 500 caches (I have 89) I drive 200-300 miles to different parts of So. Calif. daily, so as time permits I'm picking up those within .1 mile of my route.

I live in a town with a significant number of parks and nature areas, so we have a lot of caches in the city (and not just micros). I haven't been steadily pushing outwards, so I have a good number from neighboring towns as well as a lot from within my town.

The closest one to me is a micro 0.5 miles away that I've already taken about three cracks at, then a regular sized cache 0.7 miles away that I haven't looked for yet.

I've got a lot to get done this summer before I move to Illinois. :blink:

Nearest unfound cache is 1.6 miles. It will stay unfound. It's in a highway strip mall. No interest in visiting that strip mall unless I'm buying bagels.

Correct. This comes up all the time, and usually a bunch of responses are from people who use the ignore list, and don't find caches in places like strip mall parking lots. So I'll add my name to the list. So, how are the bagels? :blink:

One mile, and 22 within two miles. Many of these I will not even bother looking for because they are in someones front yard. There are a lot of hides like that around here. Not a big deal, as there are about 200 to find within 5 miles and 600 within 10 miles. Plenty to keep me going :blink:

I have done all the traditional caches in my town. One I haven't logged cos I didn't sign the log - the pen would not work for me. Dang, I normally carry a pencil, but not that day. One day I'll go back.

There are a few multis - the nearest is 10 minutes walk away - I walk past it every time I go to the shops. Maybe I'll get around to doing that one day, too.

I recently cached up and down New Zealand - just grabbing the convenient and the quick. I got maybe 20.

It wasn't a caching holiday, it was a vacation with my Mum.

I am still fairly new to this - less than 100 finds - so I'm going for the easy ones in interesting places.

I used to be a radius slave. For whatever reason I am not anymore. However, the 2nd closest cache to my house 270m away I have DNFed about 5 times. That one agervates me like a pebble in my boot.

I guess this brings up a logical add on question to this thread, What is the closes cache that you just can't find? Mine is 270m.

Questions.

I used to have a big radius a few years ago before I took a break. But I lived in a rural area and not many were hidden, so most that were hidden I had found within maybe 20 miles. But, now I am in Connecticut and I feel like I could spend a few weeks of dedicated caching and not get out of a 2 mile radius. :blink:

Well I would have to say considering the closes cache to me remains not found by me, I don't have a radii.

I don't want to take the kids there and have been to lazy to go there myself.

Outside of that there are plenty of micros in the woods around here that I'm not bothering with until I have absolutely nothing better to do.

DFX,

That's a great Idea. To bad the squirts will fight me over it. :blink:

The closest to me is 0.4 miles; I tried to find it yesterday but could/did not (coordinates were pointing to an area of private property which would require climbing over a fence). It's a relatively new cache (within 2 or 3 weeks).

I have just over 600 finds. There are approx 750 caches within 10 miles of my house, 500 of which I have not found. I tend to find the ones very close to home when I don't have time to go further; when I have more time I go further away, "saving" those very close ones for another day. And there are some local ones which I ignore, either I tried and didn't like the location, or I know from the description it's not one that appeals to me. I also work 30 miles away from home, and have another circle around my office location (done either at lunchtime or after work).

And there is a puzzle cache listed as 1.5 miles away which I've love to find, but I just don't get it...

Surprised no one has mentioned puzzles. I have an unfound puzzle with listed coordinates about 1.5 miles from home, that I've long since given up on. That will probably be forever unfound, although I see I haven't put it on the ignore list yet.

the closest unfound puzzle is listed at 2.8 km for me, and that's only because it's been published just a few days age and we didn't get around to doing it yet :blink:

after that, there's one challenge cache (which i'll probably never get) and then one unfound puzzle at almost 11 km. that's pretty good i think :mad:

Edited by dfx

I'll probably always have a bunch of multis and puzzle caches hanging out there. I'm not the biggest multi fan as here they seem to take you on a wild goose chase all over the place and when you're trying to organize caches to do for a day and don't know what town you're going to end up in it's difficult to plan a trip with them involved. So I just avoid them regardless of how local they are. Puzzles I'll do ahead of time sometimes because then I can fit them into my cluster of caches in an area.

Questions.

This town has a lot of micros, which I don't enjoy hunting for so I ignore them. The closest one to my house is <400ft. Of the caches I care about, the closest is one I hid (2.3 miles away) and the closest I haven't found is 3.8 miles away.

I have cached all over the place at this point. I have 11 states, and 3 countries. Most of the distance caches are opportunistic (i.e. I was gong anyway) but its not uncommon for me to pack the wife and kid into the car after church on Sunday and drive for an hour or so to do some picnicking and caching.

I am an adventurer at heart (tho I am not the most physically active person) and I love to drive and explore new areas, so I often combine my itch to check out new places with my itch to cache. Works out well. I'd rather drive an hour to find an interesting cache then walk the 400ft to find a cache I don't care about :blink:

since i work a good distance from home..i consider myself to have a wide radius of "home".... work home is dwindling... i think there are 9 more caches in town left (more than half of those seem to have some issue to them based on the logs) .

as to my house, when my son gets here next week, he'll take care of the 15 or so that are very close (some less than a mile, all less than 2 miles). at some point, we'll have to start working to get caches.

I'm a radius slave, but I don't have it as bad as some people.

The nearest cache to my house that I haven't found is 3.2 miles, but it's a multi that requires a hike of several miles. I plan to get to it soon, but I haven't had a day to devote to this one cache.

All of my unfound caches within four miles of home are multis, and I'll be happy when I've cleared them.

There are 11 more within a five mile radius.

And just to give you an idea of the cache density around here: A pocket query of the nearest caches I haven't found hits the 1,000 cache limit at a mere 20 miles from my house. Folks here hide them faster than I can find them, so I'll never catch up.

And of course, not all of my caching time is devoted to clearing my radius. My closest find is less than 1/2 mile from home; my farthest is 912 miles. Of my 110 finds, 32 of them are within 5 miles of home.

I'll probably always have a bunch of multis and puzzle caches hanging out there. I'm not the biggest multi fan as here they seem to take you on a wild goose chase all over the place and when you're trying to organize caches to do for a day and don't know what town you're going to end up in it's difficult to plan a trip with them involved.

wow, sounds like somebody didn't do any quality multis yet :unsure:

I'll probably always have a bunch of multis and puzzle caches hanging out there. I'm not the biggest multi fan as here they seem to take you on a wild goose chase all over the place and when you're trying to organize caches to do for a day and don't know what town you're going to end up in it's difficult to plan a trip with them involved.

wow, sounds like somebody didn't do any quality multis yet :unsure:

I did one that was all with in walking distance of each other and close to the parking area (we were waaaay out in the woods for that one). That one wasn't so bad. But then I did couple other where everything was spread it. Since those ones I just stopped doing them unless I have some serious time to kill locally, but I'll never schedule them into a trip.

And just to give you an idea of the cache density around here: A pocket query of the nearest caches I haven't found hits the 1,000 cache limit at a mere 20 miles from my house. Folks here hide them faster than I can find them, so I'll never catch up.

That won't happen for me. During about a six month period from starting around the beginning of September last year there were less than 6 new caches placed within 20 miles of home.

At one point I had found every cache within 15 miles from home, but that lasted about a week. Now I've got about 10 that I haven't found within 10 miles but I'm caching far less than I use to.

And of course, not all of my caching time is devoted to clearing my radius. My closest find is less than 1/2 mile from home; my farthest is 912 miles. Of my 110 finds, 32 of them are within 5 miles of home.

My closest find is .2 of a mile away and my farthest is 8132 miles away (Johannesburg, SA). Of my 1005 finds, 160 of them are over 200 miles from home. 81 of them are over 1000 miles from home.

I know what you mean. I found my first cache in 2008 (actually almost two years to the day at the time of posting this).

I could literally count on one hand (and have fingers left over!) the number of new caches that have been placed in my area since I started. That's part of the reason I don't have any more finds than I do (which is embarrassingly low).

That said, the nearest cache I haven't found is literally almost right down the street from my house just about a mile away. But, for reasons, I have not found it and will not look for it again.

The second nearest is across from the police dept. in my town. I've looked for it several times before but have yet to find it.

I was cured of being a radius slave when my local area went coo-coo for cocoa puffs with "Challenge" caches. My closest unfound includes several fizzy challenges (with date restrictions) and monthly challenge caches. So my closest unfound basically requires me to travel thousands of kilometers to fulfill it's requirements.

Dropping the "challenge caches" my closest unfound is currently at 7.5km from home. Including the "challenge caches" my closest unfound is 2.5km from home.

There are half a dozen within a mile of me. Somebody recently hit the closest town and peppered it with film can micros. I'll get them. Most of them, before they vanish.

There are also a lot of churchyard micros within a few miles. I HATE those, so I'll probably never do them.

So we're unlikely to see AuntieWeasel on the Church Micro leader board?

Google is amazing, isn't it? :)

Google is amazing, isn't it? :)

Heh. No. You know, I loved living in Rhode Island: I could be a complete low-numbers lamer and still make the leader board.

As for the church micro series -- it's one thing to act goofy in a Wal*Mart parking lot. It's quite another to do it in the garden of a 12th Century village chapel.

My caching zone is 10 km in radius. I cannot go beyond that distance due to resource limitations. However, if anyone is willing to donate or just take me along with them, I might be willing to extend that radius, but if not, then the 10 km limit will stand. (So obviously no Geo-Woodstock for me!) :angry:

I have found all but about 10 caches currently active in my zone. The closest cache I have yet to find is just over 6 km away "as the crow flies".

Edited by DENelson83

I've only been caching since January and while I'm up to 179 finds, there are still many nearby. The nearest is only 1/2 a mile, but it's been disabled since around Christmas. The nearest active cache is 1.2 miles away, although due the presence of a river it's more like 5 miles driving.

The closest one I haven't found is 3.3 miles from my house. I haven't looked because it had 2 DNF's when I first checked on it and it's not in a direction I usually travel. I should add that it's also the closest one to my house. The next closest I haven't found is 6 miles away. Which may explain why my count isn't higher, because there are only 3 found caches closer than 6 miles. After that I start to get a few, But I'm kind of saving some of those for another day. There are also a lot of micros that I'm just not willing to go out of my way for. Even sometimes not 100' or less. I imagine that someday I might decide I'm close enough or that I just want to log something and I'll slowly add them to my count. But for the most part I don't care. I'd rather drive an extra 5 miles to find something interesting or at least new. Most if the new caches that come up anywhere in our area are more that 12 miles as the crow flies and often much further to drive. Many times you need to double the distance to get there from here. Within a 20 mile radius if my house I think there are less than 500 caches. But a smidge outside of that you get into Houston and can double that quickly.

The closest cache that I have not found (that I will get eventually) from my home is about 3.1KM. I don't do puzzle caches so there are a few closer.

When I click on the show caches near my home coords, I have to go to the 4th page before I hit any regulars that I have not found.

I still haven't found the closest cache to my house - it's about 5 minutes walk from my front door, about 250 feet away - I know pretty much where it is as it pops up on my GPS whenever I walk past it, but I just haven't gotten around to stopping and looking for it yet. It's just a micro in a car park, and they really don't get my motor running. I'm kind of saving it for one day when the kids realy really want to find one, but I'm too lazy to go out - I can send them round to find it on their own while I put my feet up :angry:

In general, I'm one of those cachers who is in it more for the locations and the nice walks than anything else, so I tend to mainly look for caches in lovely places out in the countryside. As I don't happen to live in a lovely place out in the countryside (can't afford to!), that means that I've found more caches where I don't live than I have where I do.

(I'm not convinced that sentence was entirely grammatically correct, but you get my drift ;))

2 new ones were published last night 0.5 miles from my house (just over 0.1 from eachother). I spent 1.5 hours today trying to find them but could not. They were in a dense wood with poor GPS signal, one had no hint and the other a very general one. The hints have been since been upgraded so I will try again another day.

Well I just started geocaching this week, so I have (as of this post) a grand total of three! I live in a rather large suburb or a decent sized city (Grand Rapids, MI), so there are over 1200 within a 25 mile radius.

I have quite a bit ahead of me!

Google is amazing, isn't it? :angry:

Heh. No. You know, I loved living in Rhode Island: I could be a complete low-numbers lamer and still make the leader board.

As for the church micro series -- it's one thing to act goofy in a Wal*Mart parking lot. It's quite another to do it in the garden of a 12th Century village chapel.

You can still act dignified and find a cache. It's just a bit harder.

As to the OP-my nearest unfound 500 PQ creeps in by about 2.5 miles per year. And that includes filtering out the almost 100 hydrocaches that I don't have a canoe/kayak to get to. Like GGB, they hide em faster than I can find em around here.

I still haven't found the closest cache to my house - it's about 5 minutes walk from my front door, about 250 feet away - I know pretty much where it is as it pops up on my GPS whenever I walk past it, but I just haven't gotten around to stopping and looking for it yet. It's just a micro in a car park, and they really don't get my motor running. I'm kind of saving it for one day when the kids realy really want to find one, but I'm too lazy to go out - I can send them round to find it on their own while I put my feet up :angry:

In general, I'm one of those cachers who is in it more for the locations and the nice walks than anything else, so I tend to mainly look for caches in lovely places out in the countryside. As I don't happen to live in a lovely place out in the countryside (can't afford to!), that means that I've found more caches where I don't live than I have where I do.

(I'm not convinced that sentence was entirely grammatically correct, but you get my drift ;) )

Around here anyone who doesn't live out in the country doesn't do it because it's more expensive, they do it because they don't want to make the long drive to go places. It's much less expensive to live way out of town than it is to live in or close. But you have to be willing to drive 12 miles to the grocery store and often an hour more to get to work each day. But come to think of it often took me over an hour to get to work when I lived in the city, I just spent it in traffic instead of on country roads. So it's a trade off.

Questions.

I can zoom out 3 levels before theres an unfound cache. that one is Arvids spine trail micro[yeah YOU! thats right, you know who you are] :blink: