Oregon 450 or GPS Map 62?

I'm looking at buying a new unit, and the Oregon 450, the Colorado and the 62 seem to appeal to me the most. Do you think it's worth waiting for the 62 or no? If not, the oregon or colorado?

It depends mostly on whether or not you would want a touchscreen or buttons.

Pros of the Oregon are that it has an almost ideal form factor. Very very comfortable in the hand with a minimalist design. It is very solidly built and is fun to use.

Cons of the Oregon are its hard to see screen in daylight. The 450/550 units supposedly have slightly better screens, but in general they are noticeably darker than other comparable units like the PN-30/40. Also, there are some software quirks that are a bit annoying... such as you cannot delete geocaches directly from the oregon GUI (you need to connect it to a computer), a trip computer that cannot be reset from the trip screen itself (completely dumb if you ask me), no measure distance feature for the map screen, and a "arriving at destination" popup message that cant be disabled.

The 62 will have nearly the same major features as the Oregon 450/550 series... shaded terrain, expandable memory, 5000 geocache limit, 2000 waypoint limit, 200 saved routes/10,000 pt track log etc. The 62 will have more memory on board (1.7gb compared to 850mb on the oregon). There are some minor drawbacks such as the decreased resolution and 65k color, but these will prove to be negligible I think, especially considering the new screen will have better sunlight readability.

All things considered, if it were my money I would say go for the Oregon 450 and buy the Garmin 100k TOPO maps. The 62 will appeal to those specifically wanting buttons instead of a touchscreen. That's pretty much about the only reason I could see choosing one over the other.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
I'm looking at buying a new unit, and the Oregon 450, the Colorado and the 62 seem to appeal to me the most. Do you think it's worth waiting for the 62 or no? If not, the Oregon or Colorado?

Follow this link for specs on the Oregon 450:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145...=63349#specsTab

Follow this link for specs on the GPSMAPS 62:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145...=63800#specsTab

If you think you would like to try Wherigo someday you won't be able to with the 62.

If the specs on the Garmin page are correct for the 62 at this time, a couple of things jump out at me - some are lost features from the 60:

No electronic compass (60csx and Oregon 450 both have them, 450 is better)

No slot for SD card like 450 has (1.7G internal is nice, but topo tiles can get past a 2G microSD successfully)

62 display is smaller

No baro altimeter (on the odd chance you'd need one)

No Wherigo ability (450 has it)

If the specs on the Garmin page are correct for the 62 at this time, a couple of things jump out at me - some are lost features from the 60:

No electronic compass (60csx and Oregon 450 both have them, 450 is better)

No slot for SD card like 450 has (1.7G internal is nice, but topo tiles can get past a 2G microSD successfully)

62 display is smaller

No baro altimeter (on the odd chance you'd need one)

No Wherigo ability (450 has it)

Check out the entire series -- 62, 62s and 62st (62stc for Canadian topo). You were looking at just the 62 model.

I just pre-ordered a 62s (available in Mid-July) It is essentially an updated 60CSx with Oregon 550 capabilities except no camera but it has the carry over quad helix antenna which makes it better than the Oregon/Colorado/Dakota series. Not terribly fond of the price ($469 CDN) but I will be the "first kid on the block" with the new toy. I hope to be test it side-by-side with my 60CSx as soon as I get it.

GPSMAP 62s Features:

* Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)

* Electronic compass: yes (tilt-compensated, 3-axis)

* Touchscreen: no

* Barometric altimeter: yes

* Camera: no

* Geocaching-friendly: yes (paperless)

* Custom maps compatible: yes

* Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): yes

* Outdoor GPS games: no

* Hunt/fish calendar: yes

* Sun and moon information: yes

* Tide tables: yes

* Area calculation: yes

* Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes

* Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): yes

* Picture viewer: no

* Garmin Connect compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data): yes

GPSMAP 62s Specifications:

* Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.4" x 6.3" x 1.4" (6.1 x 16.0 x 3.6 cm)

* Display size, WxH: 1.6" x 2.2" (4.1 x 5.6 cm); 2.6" diag (6.6 cm)

* Display resolution, WxH: 160 x 240 pixels

* Display type: transflective, 65-K color TFT

* Weight: 9.2 oz (260.1 g) with batteries

* Battery: 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended

* Battery life: 20 hours

* Waterproof: yes (IPX7)

* Floats: no

* High-sensitivity receiver: yes

* Interface: high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible

* Basemap: yes

* Ability to add maps: yes

* Built-in memory: 1.7 GB

* Accepts data cards: microSD card (not included)

* Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000

* Routes: 200

* Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks

Check out the entire series -- 62, 62s and 62st (62stc for Canadian topo). You were looking at just the 62 model.

Unless the OP misunderstands the series, he was, too -- hence the reply he got. I'd take a 450 over a 62 any day. A 62s would overcome my objections if the price was right.

Unless the OP misunderstands the series, he was, too -- hence the reply he got. I'd take a 450 over a 62 any day. A 62s would overcome my objections if the price was right.

If it is just the Oregon 450 versus the 62, the Oregon 450 wins.

For me, it's a toss-up between the Oregon 450 and the 62s, both with expandable memory, electronic compass, paperless caching, etc.

--The Oregon 450 has had firmware updates (finally) to fix many of the bugs owners complained about and has Wherigo.

--The 62s seems to be a 60csx update similar to the Colorado/Oregon but without Wherigo. However, it does have a quad helix antenna that some prefer. If the 62s price doesn't come down after the July(?) release, the Oregon 450 has an advantage.

--Oregon's touchscreen or 62s buttons is an individual preference.

Red90 may have the best advice: check out both units yourself.

For now, you might be able to attend an event and get a feel for (as in borrow, not steal :blink:) someone's Oregon 450, perhaps even hunt a cache with it. You can already compare specs on the Garmin site and then wait (if you can) for the reviews and check out the 62(s) personally in a month or two.

What's the proven benefit to the qaud-helix antenna? Garmin seems to make a point of it in marketing the new 62. Anyone know if it has an external antenna connection as found in the 60 and Colorado which are quad-helix models?

With the new generation of GPSrs there really isn't a benefit anymore. 5+ years ago when GPSrs were outfitted without high sensitivity chipsets, the antenna type - either patch or quad helix - would make more of a difference. The older GPSrs were very sensitive to their orientation. Changing their orientation in any way could mean the difference between a 3D fix with 10 satellites, and no fix at all.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

Here's the side-by-side comparison from Garmin's site of the most comparable models (Oregon 450 vs 62s), with the differences highlighted:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...reProduct=63801

Though it looks like the biggest differences are form factor and user interface (touch screen v buttons) I have a hunch* the 62 series will have superior sensitivity and accuracy -- maybe to the point where when folks start reporting their own real-world results, those who don't have one will have a hard time believing it. Though it might take one or more firmware upgrade to get there :blink:

---

*...gotta remember to come back and see if I was right or wrong on this one...

Edited by lee_rimar

For a discontinued model, they've been doing pretty goood with giving firmware updates for Colorado. they haven't left them in the dark.

Thanks for the advice guys, I was leaning towards the 450, and I did go check both units out at the store. I think that's what I'll go with :mad: