Lost and Found nominations

I try to write interesting logs. They kind I’d like to get on my caches in the future. Plus I love to write and tell stories so it’s not a big challenge for me to write something on the ones I really enjoy or get something out of. I have done a few TFTC type logs but those are reserved for one’s I didn’t get anything out of. You know the type LPC’s even a few of those might have gotten more if I was in a good mood. I always hope people enjoy my logs and I have gotten a few good comments on one or two of them, but a lot of the time I don’t really know if someone liked it or not.

I’ve seen the Lost & Found things on the cache pages recently and I’ve been keeping an eye out for something I really like to nominate it. I know it says you can nominate your own log, but it just never occurred to me to do so. I thought it would be a bit embarrassing to do that, anyway. So today I was on HGSC.org (the Houston Geocaching Society) and there was a thread about the lost and found and what logs might be nominated. Someone had posted a log they had nominated and I went to look, because I love a great story and I respect the person who nominated it. OMG It was one of my logs. LOL http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...05-cabe330c88ac Maybe it’s silly to some of you but I was really flattered and excited. (Although I did notice a few typos that I need to fixe when I read it again.)

That inspired me to look at some of the other logs that had been nominated. I was surprised at how many people had nominated their own logs. It’s not like I think there is something immoral about it or anything. I just didn’t think so many people would feel comfortable doing it. Sure I like to think that most of what I write borders on being brilliant, but what if I’m wrong and now a bunch of people are forced to read mediocre drivel on my say so? Kind of like this thread.

So how do you feel about it? Is it cool and bold? Shows confidence, that you wish you had? Nothing wrong with it at all? Fine but not for you? A bit too show offish? Tacky, Tacky, Tacky? Or something anywhere in between?

Maybe part of me wishes I had the self-esteem to do something like that. But most of me knows it means a lot more coming from someone else, so I’m glad I didn’t miss the chance to find out that someone else thought it was worth sharing.

I wonder, did you get some sort of notification that your log was picked? I wrote a really great DNF followed by a found it a few days later. Thought about clicking it myself and then decided against it. But just incase someone did pick mine I wonder if I'll know.

If I got any notice I missed it so I'd never have known if I didn't see it on another site.

I want to make it clear I don't think badly of anyone for nominating thier own log. I just assumed that most people would feel akward about doing it, like I would. Then when I noticed a lot of people had done so I wondered if I was just being to insecure. But like I said if I had done it myself I'd never have have the joy of knowing that someone else did it.

I've been reading some of the logs and many of them are very good. There were a few lame ones but I couldn't honestly tell you if the writer or someone else had nominated those.

I also don't want to start a debate about what is right and what isn't. This is about how you feel when it comes to you doing it. Like so many things in life I don't think there is a right and wrong. Just a what you are comfortable doing. There is no reason to debate it there is an option to nominate yourself and that's enough reason to do it, if you want to.

I thought, hey a great way to see some good logs.

Then I started reading, BORING!

Then I though, ok you just biased because you saw people nominating them selves, so I tried to read without noticing who was nominating or nominated.

Every time I successfully do this and I read a BORING log when I look up it never fails, I say "OH GEE looky who nominated themselves."

The only way I would ever nominate myself is if I was fawning of the CO and wanted to bring bigger attention to their caches.

Besides the best stories take place over several DNFs before a found it log.

No, I wouldn't nominate one of our own logs.

I have nominated someone else's log in which they tell their story of conquering a 5*T cache with humour and, incidentally, it was seeing the L&F banner above the log as I read it from the cache page that prompted me to think, "This would be a good log to nominate". Personally I don't have any problems about seeing that banner - it serves its purpose.

MrsB

from what i can see on that page, most logs have been nominated by the same persons who wrote them. kinda totally kills the whole point of it.

I think that's better.

Any time a feel good feature like this is developed. some of the best receive deserved attention and others figure out a way to self flatter themselves. I'll let my logs stand on their own merit, and I write them as much for myself as for the cache owner. So now we are bribing some cachers to string more than three words together, and then reward themselves for their hard work. I think I'm going to be sick.

I wouldn't nominate my own logs. I write them as a way of saying thank you to the cache owner. Sometimes I'm feeling uninspired so I don't write much, but I at least try to say something about the experience of finding it. Sometimes I'll tell longer stories, and a few times I've even gotten emails from COs thanking me for my logs.

I don't know if any of them have been nominated, but the gratitude of a CO for a well-written log is more important, I think.

Nope, I'd not nominate one of my logs. While I have been told I'm funny when talking to someone I am smart enough to realize that I am not a good writer.

I did nominate a log from one of my 2 cache placements, though. It was the first log of a FTF pair and I laughed until I cried. My hubby couldn't care less about caching but I read the log aloud for him and he burst out laughing too. If it made him laugh? I figured it was worth it!

I'd never nominate my own logs. Sometimes I get emails that this log or that one made someone laugh, or they really enjoyed reading it, which means much more to me than the new system they've worked out. Besides, how would you even know one of your logs was nominated?

The banner annoys me. It has no blue.

Wow...awkward. I did nominate one of my own logs, for this cache. It was my very first, and I thought I told a good story that got across the excitement of my first find. Sure, I was hoping that someone else (maybe the CO's, who wrote me after I did the log thanking me for it) would nominate it, but they didn't (maybe they would have, eventually!), and it had dropped off the first page, so I didn't think anyone would see it.

I always put effort into my logs. Some are better than others, but I try to make all of them more than a "TFTC" thing. I wasn't looking for strokes or anything; just thought it was a fun log that might be enjoyed.

Now I feel a little bad about it. I guess I should've just let it stand on its own merits and be nominated or not. I certainly won't nominate another one of mine!

Thanks for the viewpoints!

--Q

Wow...awkward. I did nominate one of my own logs, for this cache. It was my very first, and I thought I told a good story that got across the excitement of my first find. Sure, I was hoping that someone else (maybe the CO's, who wrote me after I did the log thanking me for it) would nominate it, but they didn't (maybe they would have, eventually!), and it had dropped off the first page, so I didn't think anyone would see it.

I always put effort into my logs. Some are better than others, but I try to make all of them more than a "TFTC" thing. I wasn't looking for strokes or anything; just thought it was a fun log that might be enjoyed.

Now I feel a little bad about it. I guess I should've just let it stand on its own merits and be nominated or not. I certainly won't nominate another one of mine!

Thanks for the viewpoints!

--Q

It's well written so I wouldn't worry about it. It's likely somone would have nominated it if you hadn't. But I will admit that after reading quite a few a large portion of the self nominated ones aren't one's I would ever have nominated. They are the type I would be afraid mine would look like to someone else. I think if you have had a compliment on one that makes it safer to nominate your own. Nice story by the way.