missing one

teamcourage

this weekend geting ready to climb the grand tetion I looked for a few bench nmarks in to palces almost extaly were the cordantees said the bench mark would be instead was a long would steak with survey tape tied arond the top. and the bench makrer number wrtien on it. the digi cam dioed other wise I would have take a pict. did they do that tell the bech nark is repalced.

This sounds weird.

When you say that the wood stake had the benchmark's number written on it, do you mean it had the benchmark's Designation or the benchmark's PID number?

I'm not a surveyor, but I don't think a surveyor should be making a new station and calling it the same name as a station with a PID. At least they should say "RESET", but even then, I'm not sure using just a stake would be a real reset.

I guess it is possible that the wood stake is actually some sort of witness post and the actual disk is nearby.

The long wooden stake is call a lath, and it would be very common for the surveyor who put it there to mark it with the control point designation. The actual mark, probably station GRAND TETON (OX0838) was established by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1968 and set in nearby bedrock. You might have to brush away loose dirt to find it.

quote:
Originally posted by teamcourage:

this weekend geting ready other wise I would have take a pict. did they do that tell the bech nark is repalced.

Something is certainly missing. It's probably your calling, which should be writing hints for cache hiders. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

Something is certainly missing. It's probably your calling, which should be writing hints for cache hiders. icon_razz.gif

You're showing a lot of class there Cholo. What, no respect for the handicapped? From teamcourage's writing it appears as though he might be dyslexic, not stupid or ignorant. Like so many others you seem to have lost your common courtesy. You probably can't even be man enough to apologize either.

1 of 2oldfarts

quote:
Originally posted by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders):

What, no respect for the handicapped? From writing it appears as though might be dyslexic, not stupid or ignorant. You probably can't even be man enough

1 of 2oldfarts

Maybe you shouldn't presume so much, including one's gender? Did it occur to you that your comment about handicapped, stupid, or ignorant might be hurtful to that person? My presumption was that they might be a tad lazy in their posting technique, that's not uncommon here. Take the time to reread my post and yours. Which one had more to do with this thread or geocaching? I probably shouldn't expect that much from someone who'd put "fart" in their user name. Have a nice day. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

quote:
Originally posted by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders):

What, no respect for the handicapped? From writing it appears as though might be dyslexic, not stupid or ignorant. You probably can't even be man enough

1 of 2oldfarts

Maybe you shouldn't presume so much, including one's gender? Did it occur to you that your comment about handicapped, stupid, or ignorant might be hurtful to that person? My presumption was that they might be a tad lazy in their posting technique, that's not uncommon here. Take the time to reread my post and yours. Which one had more to do with this thread or geocaching? I probably shouldn't expect that much from someone who'd put "fart" in their user name. Have a nice day. icon_smile.gif

Well, now let the "Lady" of 2oldfarts answer...

Your snide little remark was uncalled for & you should apologize whether you are a female or male. We looked at your profile & of course rude people do not want anyone to know anything about themselves..& it is hard to know by your handle what gender you are--still doesn't matter...we all can do without demeaning remarks. icon_mad.gif

Addicted finder of *old* BM's!