How does this meet the Guidelines?

homedg

This post was censored off the GCA site so I will post it here for comments.

I find it Amazing that these types of events

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...87-38fc3ce6ea6f

continue to get published despite these Guidelines.

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

Additionally, links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political or social agendas, or the inclusion of their associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions without prior permission from Groundspeak.

Just imagine if Exxon listed their AGM as an event and applied a "donation" to non-shareholders to attend the coffee and bickies afterwords. Let alone excluded, without grounds, any attendance to the AGM itself..............

I am curious about what other people think about this?

how is Caches that Solicit and Commercial Caches guideline related to this event?

there is nothing in the guidelines indicating that local associations are not permitted, and you certainly can't compare such association with a public corporation or any business for that matter

i personally see nothing wrong with that event

maybe you care to expand on your disapproval instead of just pasting a couple of guidelines that don't apply in this case, is there something wrong maybe we the bi-monthly meeting we have in my region too?

Edited by t4e

how is Caches that Solicit and Commercial Caches guideline related to this event?

there is nothing in the guidelines indicating that local associations are not permitted, and you certainly can't compare such association with a public corporation or any business for that matter

i personally see nothing wrong with that event

maybe you care to expand on your disapproval instead of just pasting a couple of guidelines that don't apply in this case, is there something wrong maybe we the bi-monthly meeting we have in my region too?

This is an Australian thread so perhaps you don't understand the background. Also relates specifically to NSW, a State of Australia.

Anyways, my concerns are bolded and italicised LOL (Doubt that is even a word)

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

Additionally, links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political or social agendas, or the inclusion of their associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions without prior permission from Groundspeak.

Just imagine if Exxon listed their AGM as an event and applied a "donation" to non-shareholders to attend the coffee and bickies afterwords. Let alone excluded, without grounds, any attendance to the AGM itself..............

I really wonder what your agenda is mate.

Let's look at some other Aussie events:

Here's another one organised by NSW Geocaching that is purely educational but because it is organised by an "Exxon" look-alike it should be banned? Geocaching 101

How about this one, it's organised for the Boy Scouts, another group with a political and social agenda:

Geocaching with the Maitlan Scouts

What about this one? Geocachers are going into a business and purchasing a product (dinner):

Jolly Jamestown Junket Geocaching Dinner

In a similar vein, here's some Kiwis on a caching holiday in Tassie enticing people into a business (a pub):

Tasman Bonds

I specifically posted this in the AUSTRALIAN area of the forums, if you have comments regarding NZ caches then i suggest you post in the appropriate area.

And please don't throw the word MATE around, it's not becoming of a KIWI LOL :blink:

Caches that Solicit

Commercial Caches

Here's another one organised by NSW Geocaching that is purely educational but because it is organised by an "Exxon" look-alike it should be banned? Geocaching 101

How about this one, it's organised for the Boy Scouts, another group with a political and social agenda:

What about this one? Geocachers are going into a business and purchasing a product (dinner):

In a similar vein, here's some Kiwis on a caching holiday in Tassie enticing people into a business (a pub):

Tasman Bonds

Thanks JAB's,

But as this relates to Australia, and even more specifically to NSW, I'll just leave it here.

Cheers.

PS, I still need to hide that Ammo Box I won at your event. and BTW the kids paint job has finally dried, he he.

Hi homedg,

You may get a farst reply if you post your topic here- Geocaching Topics There it will be seen by more people and will get farst reply.

Hope this helps.

I specifically posted this in the AUSTRALIAN area of the forums, if you have comments regarding NZ caches then i suggest you post in the appropriate area.

And please don't throw the word MATE around, it's not becoming of a KIWI LOL :blink:

Tasman Bonds

I am still curious as to what your opinions are on these other Australian event caches are, given they seem to breach the rules you've quoted. And I don't see anything in the rules that precludes anyone other than Australian citizens participating in this forum. If there are any rules on regional forums it is simply that they topics should be regional.

In this particular case I see the issue as being a global one not a regional one. That is "Should a geocaching association be able to run their AGM as an event cache"? That is of course unless there is something being unsaid around the politics or agendas in internal NSW geocaching community?

Just for interest's sake I've posed a global question in the General forum; Does this meet the guidelines?

Before I jump in here, can I ask a couple of questions.

When the original thread was censored in the GCA forums, did you ask for an explanation, and if none was forthcoming, did you make representation with the event cache owner?

As I understand the NSW geocaching association is a registered not for profit organisation, they are bound to hold AGM by virtue of the relevant state legislations. (I can give you the Qld equivalent.) By being a not for profit, they are also involved with furthering the sport, demonstrated by the post AGM activities with guest lectures and activities.

OK, so if the event was a guest lecture on activities minus the AGM, would there still be an issue? I would think not, but, I could be wrong. So, if the back half of the meeting with traditional geocaching activities is acceptable, then it's only the front half, the actual "group meeting" that's a problem.

Is the NSW association the association which is lobbying for geocaching in State Forrests? Are they the organization working with the Environment Minister preserving wildlife habitats and establishing geocaching guidelines in those areas? (Clarification may be needed).

Ok, so as an ex pat Qld-er, I have been to some "general meeting" events which involve aspects of geocaching such as caches in the Anza Borrego Desert (California) and a local wildlife park.

I think that the guidelines were designed to prevent an Amway Meeting being used to bring geocachers in, but, as they are guidelines and not fundamental, the event appears legitimate in furthering the sport, in that, it is geocachers getting together, and not Exxon pulling geocachers in.