spoilers: adding photos to logs

dwarner1

howdy all, sorry if this has been covered previously.

i am curious, when i log a find, i can add photos. would it be considered bad form if they could give away some info? ie what the cache looks like, possible other spoilers, etc?

i have been taking photos of each find with the container and log and would like to continue to attach them.

help is appreciated! thanks!

dano

i am curious, when i log a find, i can add photos. would it be considered bad form if they could give away some info? ie what the cache looks like, possible other spoilers, etc?

i have been taking photos of each find with the container and log and would like to continue to attach them.

dano

Yes. If you are giving away information that the CO would like for the cache hunters to discover on their own, then it IS bad form. The pine cone in the maple tree? Nope. Let the cache finders find that out on their own. There's a reason they're called 'spoilers'. Save the photos for your own files, but don't spoil other cacher's fun (and the cache owner's fun.)

The same goes for cutesy comments in logs.

Uh oh. i'm a newb. i added photos of the cache to all my finds. i figured that that was ok because you have to actually click on the link to open the pictures. Since it says something about 'spoilers' before entering the logs, doesn't that mean that there's a possibility that the log descriptions will give away the locations?

Should i delete my photos? Any insight is appreciated.

EDIT by Mod. Sorry, rather than replying your post, I accidentally edited it. Luckly I was able to restore it

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

dano

Yes. If you are giving away information that the CO would like for the cache hunters to discover on their own, then it IS bad form. The pine cone in the maple tree? Nope. Let the cache finders find that out on their own. There's a reason they're called 'spoilers'. Save the photos for your own files, but don't spoil other cacher's fun (and the cache owner's fun.)

The same goes for cutesy comments in logs.

If the cache description says something like "you're looking for an ammo can" and you add a picture of an ammo can, I don't see a problem with it. If it's an ammo can that's disguised as a log, and you take a picture that exposes the disguise, then yes it should be removed. Just make sure the pictures you leave in place don't have the actual location of the cache in them. Step away 5 feet and then take the picture. Leave out any obvious landmarks that give away a difficult hide.

Any other pictures are pretty cool. I need to start taking more pictures so I can add them to logs. Enhances the experience for both you and the CO.

Uh oh. i'm a newb. i added photos of the cache to all my finds. i figured that that was ok because you have to actually click on the link to open the pictures. Since it says something about 'spoilers' before entering the logs, doesn't that mean that there's a possibility that the log descriptions will give away the locations?

After looking, maybe one or two. The one at "Wally World 34224" probably should be dumped. I am not real familiar with the area, but it does sort of look like a dead give-way. :blink:

Closeups of logs can sometimes be very good photos.

Closeups in general, usually do not give away much info.

Welcome to Geocaching dwarner1!

If the owner has said that it is a camoed lock n lock or ammo can, a picture should be okay. If the cache size is "unknown" or is a unique hide, then don't take a picture, leave the surprise to the next cacher. If you look in our picture gallery, (there are only a few there lol), you will find some where we blocked out a square so that you can't see what is in our hands or took the picture at night etc. Or zoomed in so that you don't see the tree with the big Y. Scenic pictures of the area or your walk there are great! ie Sunsets, wildlife, your children or pets.

We do have our private geocaching gallery for ourselves. But I have known other cachers to post pictures of the hide area and the cache on Facebook with the cache name! As if other cachers don't look there to get the hint. If we find a picture of one of our puzzles or unique hides there, I have to go and change the cache or the location. Sigh.

Photography and Geocaching are a great mix!

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

This is a particular pet peeve of mine. One local cache is hidden in a cross on a roadside ... you don't know it until you've gotten there and searched ... and lo and behold, there are 3 or 4 photos of cachers kneeling next to the damned thing. THINK people!

OK, i feel better now that's off my chest! heh

I try to not post distinguishing photos on here. I'll take some pictures in the cache area if it's cool. Sometimes I'll post those.

Any other pictures that I think are distinguishing or would give away where the cache is I'll put else where for me and my non-caching friends to enjoy.

It depends. You shouldn't post photos that give away the location. If the container is specially camoflaged, for instance a fake pine cone, fake sprinkler head, etc. then you should not photograph it.

But for the every day containers, film canisters, ammo boxes, Lock n Locks, etc. If you've seen one you've seen them all. Most cache owners won't object if you post photos of those. In fact as a cache owner myself, one of my favorite photos to see is that of the happy finders posing with my cache.

Just move a bit away from the hiding spot before snapping your photo. If you look at my gallery you'll see dozens, if not hundreds of photos of me or my companions holding a cache, or a close-up of the container itself. Not one cache owner ever objected.

Edited by briansnat

OK, thanks for the advice. i will stick with close ups that won't give the location away. i may delete the Wally World one. However, that's the only place the cache could be...but maybe it's too much of a givaway.

Something else to consider.

For me, one of the attractions of geocaching is discovering an interesting object, a great view, or just a really pretty spot in the woods that I would otherwise not know about if not for the act of finding a geocache. Often caches are place near these locations specifically to bring geocachers to the spots and allow them to discover these things as well. Not only can a photograph be a spoiler for finding the cache, it can also spoil to discovery experience for something unique or interesting.

As a general rule, before posting a photo make sure that there isn't anything in the cache description by the CO asking that photos not be posted. If you're not sure you can always post a found it log, and ask the CO via their profile email link about posting a photo, then add the photo later.

OK, thanks for the advice. i will stick with close ups that won't give the location away. i may delete the Wally World one. However, that's the only place the cache could be...but maybe it's too much of a givaway.

Something else to consider.

For me, one of the attractions of geocaching is discovering an interesting object, a great view, or just a really pretty spot in the woods that I would otherwise not know about if not for the act of finding a geocache. Often caches are place near these locations specifically to bring geocachers to the spots and allow them to discover these things as well. Not only can a photograph be a spoiler for finding the cache, it can also spoil to discovery experience for something unique or interesting.

Photos can also entice others to seek out the cache. If I see cool photos of the area around the cache it will certainly increase the chances I'd hunt that cache. Some things, whether a view or cool rock formation or whatever have to be experienced first hand.

Don't give away too much in the photos, but hunters who look at the photos before they go looking for the cache do so with the understanding that they may see some spoilers. At that point, it's really up to the person who's trying to find it next whether or not they want to get a spoiler.

So...don't worry about it too much. If a CO thinks you've give away too much with a photo, they (should) send you a polite email asking you to take it off. Otherwise, just take the photos and leave it up to the future hunters to decide whether or not they want to look at them.

Don't give away too much in the photos, but hunters who look at the photos before they go looking for the cache do so with the understanding that they may see some spoilers. At that point, it's really up to the person who's trying to find it next whether or not they want to get a spoiler.

So...don't worry about it too much. If a CO thinks you've give away too much with a photo, they (should) send you a polite email asking you to take it off. Otherwise, just take the photos and leave it up to the future hunters to decide whether or not they want to look at them.

This is what i was thinking. The photos aren't displayed in my log, you have to click the link. i know that i don't look at the logs or hints until after i've found a cache or if i couldn't find ir and need clues.

i took a pic of a well hidden/camouflaged cache today but i won't post that. That's the hardest part of the search for that one.

Please don't be put off posting photos! Most cache owners love photos in logs (and most of your fellow cachers do, too).

On the other hand, please don't be a moron like me. I once celebrated completing a particularly difficult multi by posting a picture of my hand triumphantly holding aloft the log book.

A friend had to write and tell me that the coords of the final were written on the cover and perfectly legible. I don't know how many people short-circuited that multi because of me.

I like to see photos of interesting things around a cache location, photos of cachers, photos that would stand alone if posted elsewhere. Something that would make me want to go to that particular location or document an interesting log entry. Something that looks banner worthy. For the most part, photos of containers are not that interesting to me, unless the container is so creative that it should not be shown.

But I know a cacher who takes great photos but often documents caches he has visited with a photo of the container, appropriately photoshopped not to reveal anything important. If he does not include that with a log I wonder what is wrong with the cache. So find your style and it will be appreciated.

Edited by mulvaney