Am I the only one?

Who is grossed out by touching downtown city micros?

You probly would only understand it if you live in the city and know how dirty everything is. Here in Seattle it is pretty darn gross sometimes if you go to the downtown area. There are lots of homeless people everywere. I won't go into detal but I am sure you can figure out why I would not want to put my hands on things lower than waist high in an area with lots of homeless people. Downtown areas just seem to be teeming with dirt and garbage. I don't know what it is like in every big city but in mine it can be filthy. I am half tempted to buy some latex gloves for DT caches.

So am I weird or what lol? :blink:

I have been a little grossed out a few times in Seattle, just as I have been in much less populated areas. I would say Seattle is no better or worse than anywhere else. In general I am fine and don't worry about who might have done what to a cache.

lots of hand sanitizer for me!! one urban one was in Columbus, Ohio right in the Ohio State campus area behind a bar, in an alley, Oh the scents & smells you had while finding this cache. but at least the cache owners came right out and warned the cachers about how bad the area was. Sanitizer anyone.???

Having found several hundred caches in a city far larger than Seattle, I'd have to say that I do not understand your concern. Stay away from areas that do not seem sanitary. Yes. It's tough to project a waypoint when someone's sleeping in the tree you're supposed to be at. And I DNFed one because the rats were larger than many dogs.

The city can be grittier than the forest. But not much worse than suburban parking lots. We have 'bridge people' in my part of suburbia. But I don't hide caches where they live, and I wouldn't look for caches there either. So choose carefully where you hunt caches.

On the other fin, you could go caching in northwest Jersey, and meet a lot of the local bears! They're always fun to meet.

Nope. I do not understand your concern.

So yesterday I was doing some hiking cache along a trail in the mountains. I see the obvious place is a hole in a burned out tree. So I reached up in the hole and feel around for the cache. When I pull out my arm, there are a number of ants crawling on it. And on top of this my hand is covered in soot from the burned tree. Then I realize that the hole in base of the tree was just at the level that some wild animals might mark their territory. I spot some coyote scat nearby. But the worse was that I didn't read the cache page beforehand. The cache owner stated that he was walking with his dog and she was checking out trees and marking them as dogs will do; he took that as the dog picking out the spot to hide the cache. Ugh!.

Yep, sometimes urban caches get hidden in place that homeless use as toilets. I suspect because these places are a bit more secluded and muggle-free, the hiders pick them as a place where cachers can search without worrying about being seen. It could be that the cache was hidden after a rain (especially in Seattle) and any evidence of the prior use of the site was washed away. Let the cache owner know (in a private email) if you see a problem and suggest they might move the cache. You may get an occaisional owner who insists that such a place is OK, but most cachers aren't purposely hiding caches in toilets.

I hid 5 and hunted a few in downtown Dallas this weekend and was careful to avoid areas described in the OP. I'm no rookie, man. :laughing:

If it looks like it's going to be nasty, no matter whre you are, just pass on it.

Edited by 9Key

I hid 5 and hunted a few in downtown Dallas this weekend and was careful to avoid areas described in the OP. I'm no rookie, man. :laughing:

If it looks like it's going to be nasty, no matter whre you are, just pass on it.

When I hide caches in Central London, I try to keep them off the ground. Out in the country side there are foxes and other animals so something on the ground can become yucky so it is a challenge placing a cache so it is pleasent to find,