Benchmark hunting help ?

Scout03

...continued... My keyboard stopped working. I was going to mention the photos of witness posts & benchmarks posts--but Dusty beat me to it. icon_smile.gif

Another thing, the benchmark GG0102 has SCALED coordinates. They were taken from a map and therefore may be off. I suggest that you depend more on the description than your GPS. I would start with:

quote:
...CEMENTED IN A DRILL HOLE IN A CURB AT THE EAST ENTRANCE TO THE PARK.

Then (if necessary) measure your average pace and pace off the other distances that are mentioned in the description.

GOOD LUCK and welcome to benchmarking.

Everybody loves benchmarks more! icon_smile.gif

I did that, I know the size of a pace due playing golf for years. I measured per the description from the monument and the center of the street and found an area that was re-constructed. The square was overhauled recently including curbs, sidewalks etc. in the immediate area of the description.

Scout03

I started geocaching about 2 months ago and I think I prefer searching for benchmarks. (Well, the disk benchmarks anyways)

The benchmarks are definately alot more challenging since the coords are never accurate and you always end up using the descriptions.

Sure finding a container of junky toys is fun....but I find it more rewarding to find something that was placed in 1920 that hasn't been logged by any other civilians bad_boy_a.gif

Snipe33

I just FOUND a USGS Bench Mark last week that was probably not uncovered in a long time. THe only was to find it was with the position and GPS (WAAS). Turned out to be down a dead end 2 track woods road, was buried under years of old leaves etc. It was in rural wooded area and the only reference was an old fence intersection of which I found a few old rotten posts lying on the ground and measured from the record "T" intersection and hit it with the shovel.

PRIM_TRAV_STA_NO_19_1907_MICHIGAN_838-3.JPG

Mike

Survey Tech (Retired)