Etrex or Etrex H

Help! I just bought a GPSr online, it was described as an Etrex H, but on the unit it just says Etrex.

How can I tell which it is, the Garmin site doesn't have any info on the Etex as it's discontinued.

What does the H do that the previous model didn't?

The "H" stands for Hi sensitivity.

Help! I just bought a GPSr online, it was described as an Etrex H, but on the unit it just says Etrex.

How can I tell which it is, the Garmin site doesn't have any info on the Etex as it's discontinued.

What does the H do that the previous model didn't?

The "H" stands for Hi sensitivity.

How can I tell which model it is?

Hi There

The older Etrex looks like this:

etrex_gps_bmt.jpg

The new Etrex H looks like this:

etrexh-zug.jpg

Notice the change in the decal on the top, and the wording around the screen.

(12 Channel GPS vs High Sensitivity)

Hope this helps

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

That's great, thanks Tarot. As I thought, it's the old model.

FYI: there were a couple versions of the "old model". To find out which;

1. go to MENU->SETUP->SYSTEM and check the SOFTWARE VERSION

2. go to MENU->SETUP->SYSTEM and check the MODE. Can you select WAAS?

3. what colour is your backlight? Green or Amber?

No, just Normal, Battery Save or Demo

Green

Edited by Border Caz

No, just Normal, Battery Save or Demo

Green

OK, then that's the original eTrex, v2.14 is the last software update for that unit. I had one of those and traveled around the world with it. Who ever sold it to you as an eTrex H did you wrong, an eTrex H has WAAS and a high sensitivity receiver, yours doesn't have either of those. In good shape, maybe worth $25. Anything more is pretty much a ripoff. Edited by coggins

We purchased one of these on Craigslist, to see if we liked Geocaching. It works wonderfully, and the only reason we upgraded was for paperless caching, which you can't do on the eTrex. It served us very well, and was worth the $40 we paid for it, plus the additional for buying the data cable off eBay. If you're just starting out and don't want to spend a lot of money to get the hang of things, the original eTrex does the job nicely for a low cost.

Yes, some of my friends have the basic Etrex but it only does the job as well as my Nuvi. I'm not just starting out, I paid for the newer model and that was what I wanted!

Have decided to go for a Legend HCX instead when I get the money back. Think it's worth the extra.

I know this is a year later but I am in the same situation. I bought an etrex H off of ebay and what I got was an original etrex which doesn't even have the latest software on it (v 2.11). I followed the three steps listed above and my unit had the same results as Border Caz with the exception of the software version (2.11, just Normal, Battery Save or Demo, green). Based on the comments above I am going to try and get my money back. I hope to have similar success as Border Caz. We will see. Thanks for the information above (especially the pictures). It was exactly what I needed.