Camouflage Duct Tape

sweetlife +2

You have to look long and hard to come up with decent camo tape.

Most retailers stock only cheap copy tapes. They are shiny (what good is camo if it shines?), many are pretty darn stiff and want to unstick themselves -- because they use inferior adhesive.

I guess you get what you pay for. Nothing new there!

Krylon Camouflage Spray paint, and a couple of others, is really hard to beat.

Eliminating the glare, is the key to good camouflage.

8fc3a7d1-cfa1-48a1-99e7-b200f369f15a.jpg

We like hockey stick camo tape. It is dull, dried grass colour and sticks better but it is narrower so it takes more time and tape to cover your container. We haven't been able to spot one of ours in the grass under a small bush! We find it at Canadian Tire in the sporting goods department. Not sure where you would find it in Florida.

Also Gitchee-Gummee's camo spray paint for our larger containers. I cut out shapes in cardboard and spray paint a theme appropriate for the cache, while still making sure that there are no long lines or anything that would stick out in the woods.

Have fun with your camoing!

Quick edit to add spray paint comment.

Edited by mwellman

The Wal Marts near me carry it, but only during deer hunting season and it is sold in the hunting section. Not with the rest of the duct tape.

Look for a store that specializes in hunting supplies. They should carry it year round.

Cammo Tape fades over the years and looks blue in one or two summers

Just yesterday I pulled a 5 year old cache that used camo duct tape. Tape was a little frayed, but there was no noticeable change in color. Maybe if it is exposed to sunlight the color will change, but for most hides, it should be fine.

Edited by briansnat

A thread about duct tape is off topic in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum, unless you're unhappy with this week's update and were thinking of kidnapping a Lackey.

Maybe you just don't know where the OP is heading with this.

If one goes missing, I suggest looking in Ocala National Forest. :rolleyes:

A thread about duct tape is off topic in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum, unless you're unhappy with this week's update and were thinking of kidnapping a Lackey.

Seeing none of that, I am moving this thread to the Geocaching Topics forum.

Maybe you just don't know where the OP is heading with this.

If one goes missing, I suggest looking in Ocala National Forest. :rolleyes:

I agree. Who says after this last update that the OP isnt? We will just have to wait and see.

Academy had it in the hunting section. There was duct tape in the camping section, but they didn't have the camo one there. Walmart has it, but it's the digitized one.

I found a good paint at the dollar store called "Suede", which was about the same color as some of the sandy top soil around here. A really good alternative to duct tape. It's a flat finish that could actually look like suede and blends in very well with a few leaves scattered over the top.

sweetlife +2

You have to look long and hard to come up with decent camo tape.

Most retailers stock only cheap copy tapes. They are shiny (what good is camo if it shines?), many are pretty darn stiff and want to unstick themselves -- because they use inferior adhesive.

I guess you get what you pay for. Nothing new there!

Krylon Camouflage Spray paint, and a couple of others, is really hard to beat.

Eliminating the glare, is the key to good camouflage.

8fc3a7d1-cfa1-48a1-99e7-b200f369f15a.jpg

I have to agree with Gitchee and Sweetlife. Camo paint is more versatile, provides a better result and lasts longer.

IMG00116.jpg

Edited by Wooden Cyclist

I found some camo tape at Walmart in the close-out aisle that was actually for sports injuries! It sticks really well and it is fabric so it's duller and not shiny. I might have to maintain the cache a little better, but I like the way it looks. And I really loved that it was cheap. So don't rule out pharmacies in the search for good camo.

Karl

Cammo Tape fades over the years and looks blue in one or two summers

Krylon Cammo Paint

Sticks well on plastic and Metal we use it for all our caches

There are many different cammo tapes. Some fade blue, some just fade.

I was able to lay my hands on some very nice cammo cotton fabric at the local fabric store a few years ago. That, combined with contact cement make for an awesome non-glare substitute. I stopped by there recently, though, and couldn't find anything nearly as good as what I have. One is a greyish digital camo, the other a more traditional green/brown woodland pattern.