Keeping Underwater Caches Underwater

Thanks niraD and JSappenf! Could have done without the first response but that's internet forums for you I suppose. (And yes, I've already Googled it) NiraD- what was the line setup on the ones you mentioned? Did you pull the line up to reveal a negatively bouyant cache or let the line into the water a bit to reveal a positively bouyant cache? Also, how did they hide the line so it wasn't too easy and more importantly so it didn't get muggled?

Edit: Spelling- now THATS Internet forums for you

Edited by kmartcachier
NiraD- what was the line setup on the ones you mentioned? Did you pull the line up to reveal a negatively bouyant cache or let the line into the water a bit to reveal a positively bouyant cache? Also, how did they hide the line so it wasn't too easy and more importantly so it didn't get muggled?
Yes, for all of them (including the ones that were underwater), you would pull the line to retrieve the cache. When you were done, you'd just lower the cache back where it was before you pulled it up.

As for hiding the line, unsubmerged micros can be tethered with fishing line, which is very hard to spot. Underwater caches are usually larger, and generally required a more substantial line. You may or may not need to camouflage such a line, depending on where the trees, structures, etc. are in relation to the water. The ones I've found have had the line tied to trees or structures that were already near the water.

For the record, you need to fill a container almost half-full of concrete to submerge it in water.

I learned that it takes about 8-9 pounds to hold a 1 liter Nalgene bottle underwater. As for how to camouflage the line, it will be different for every location. You need to find a location and go from there. Mine was a Nalgene bottle with weights attached to it to hold it underwater, then a cable coming up to an eye-bolt that you pulled up on to get the cache to float up to the surface. And this was all attached to the side of a dock with the eye-bolt and cable coming through a pre-existing hole on the guide that is attached to the pole the dock rides up and down on, so unless you were looking, it just looked like a bold that was supposed to be there. Worked great there, wouldn't work at all with other hides. Just get creative and use your imagination.

Monofilament line comes in various colors, which can affect the difficulty of the cache. Fluorescent purple is much easier to see than clear monofilament.

Also, being made of nylon, it will stretch when it gets wet. I don't know how far that could move a cache over time. It's just something to be aware of.