how do you like to load caches?

I was just wondering how every one loads their caches.

I usually just do a pocket query of 500 and load it on my Triton, but I was thinking of loading only what I was going to hunt for. Then I was thinking, I find them often when I am just out and about and turn on my Triton and see if I am near any.

I change their icon when i find them, and delete them after I log them.

When a new one pops up in my area, I just hit send to GPS on the cache page.

So how does every one else do it? Who loads only what they are going to hunt, and who loads a bunch?

Do you have a better way of handling them?

Drag and drop GPX files onto my Oregon 450, usually after giving the set a name, i.e.

uppervalley.gpx

uppervalley-wpts.gpx

On the odd single caches I just send them.

This big question is housekeeping. I can see my GPSr becoming a mess of waypoints and GPX files for individual caches. Large gpx files I'll just delete and reload as they change or new caches are added to an area. The individual points mean checking each and deleting each, which could be a time counsuming process.

I don't use GSAK for managing caches on the Oregon placing or refreshing, as a PQ followed by drag and drop is so easy.

I will run a 500 or 1000 PQ. With my Colorado, I just drag the gpx into the folder and name it. For my Nuvi 205W, mapsource works the best for transfering. I also use a macro in gsak to give me the descriptions and such on the nuvi.

Edited by jbuffethed

GSAK all the way for all my devices : Oregon, Nuvi, PDA (before I got my Oregon) and Venture HC.

On GSAK I have solved puzzles / solved multis corrected coordinates, user notes, I have macros to select subsets of geocaches for different devices (Oregon 300 only holds 2000, compared to virtually unlimited storage as custom POI on Nuvi).

My macro will select non archived, non disabled geocaches of all types except for mystery, or mystery with corrected coordinates. Another macro select also for that type, but also takes into account proximity to 3 different points.

I have a scheduled pocket query of 980 caches that meet my criteria that gets emailed to me every week. My max on the GPS is 1000, but I use 980 so I can log a few extra waypoints if needed.

I have a Delorme pn-40, so I go into Topo USA, open the gpx file, and it shows me on the map where all the caches are. As soon as I plug in my GPS, it shows me what is on the GPS and what is on the computer. I delete all the caches on the GPS and reload all 980 caches. The reason I do that instead of just add new caches is it also loads all the logs/notes for the recent finds.

When I find a cache, I mark it as found on the GPS, type some field notes. When I plug my GPS into the computer and go to geocaching.com, I just upload my field notes to the site to log my caches. it's pretty efficient.

Edited by cejs

I have a scheduled pocket query of 980 caches that meet my criteria that gets emailed to me every week. My max on the GPS is 1000, but I use 980 so I can log a few extra waypoints if needed.

I have a Delorme pn-40, so I go into Topo USA, open the gpx file, and it shows me on the map where all the caches are. As soon as I plug in my GPS, it shows me what is on the GPS and what is on the computer. I delete all the caches on the GPS and reload all 980 caches. The reason I do that instead of just add new caches is it also loads all the logs/notes for the recent finds.

When I find a cache, I mark it as found on the GPS, type some field notes. When I plug my GPS into the computer and go to geocaching.com, I just upload my field notes to the site to log my caches. it's pretty efficient.

This is similar to what I do. However its a time consuming process once you get over 500 caches to delete them all and reload. So I have been just deleting the ones I find, and just pick and load over geocaching.com. I do an erase all and reload all once in a while.

Drag and drop would be real nice, but that's not supported by Tritons, but I feel like being able to manage them before I load them is helpful. I like GSAK, but I can't load direct to Triton. Although I know some people manage everything on GSAK first and then upload with VP to triton, but that's just too much work.

Once all the caches are on it, I don't need to hit the PC accept for logging my finds.