Replacing a 'Muggled' Cache.

Primary Evidence

Hello all.

I plan to do a day walk very soon, which includes a number of caches.

I've noticed that one of the caches which I pass, is "temporarily unavailable" due to being 'muggled'.

As this cache was made "temporarily unavailable" on the 23rd of March, almost 3 months ago, it seems as if the owner is unable or not going to replace this cache in the near future.

As it's along the way on my planed walk, is it acceptable if I place a new cache there? Being around the same size. Then update the cache file on Geocaching.com and message the owner?

If I can do that, how would I undo the "temporarily unavailable" status and make it "available" since I'm not the cache owner.

Also, the last time the owner has logged into Geoaching.com was: Sunday, 11 April 2010.

Cheers,

Michael A.

Hello all.

I've noticed that one of the caches which I pass, is "temporarily unavailable" due to being 'muggled'.

As this cache was made "temporarily unavailable" on the 23rd of March, almost 3 months ago, it seems as if the owner is unable or not going to replace this cache in the near future.

As it's along the way on my planed walk, is it acceptable if I place a new cache there? Being around the same size. Then update the cache file on Geocaching.com and message the owner?

If I can do that, how would I undo the "temporarily unavailable" status and make it "available" since I'm not the cache owner.

Also, the last time the owner has logged into Geoaching.com was: Sunday, 11 April 2010.

Cheers,

Michael A.

Please don't get into the habit of replacing caches. It's not your job, the CO may have different ideas in mind for a restoration, or they may just let it die. Not your cache, not your responsibility. It's actually pretty bad form, there's a reason nobody's done it before you.

If you must replace it, there is no way to change the cache status, as you are not the owner of the listing.

You could log a needs archive log to get the reviewer to contact the owner and shut down the cache if it's not taken care of. That would then open up the area for you to place and maintain your own cache instead.

Welcome, and enjoy.

Hello all.

Cheers,

Michael A.

Alternatively, I would suggest you email the CO and ask him if he/she/they would you to replace the cache. They may not answer but it can't hurt.

Edited by CaverScott

Hello all.

Cheers,

Michael A.

Alternatively, I would suggest you email the CO and ask him if he/she/they would you to replace the cache. They may not answer but it can't hurt.

Nope... I wouldn't do that either. It's their cache, let them maintain it or let the local reviewer archive it.