Newbie question

HarleyHetz

Hey guys, I am pretty new go Geocaching, icon_biggrin.gif and totally new to Benchmark Hunting. I found one near my house and was going to go check it out as my "first" but read the description and am now a little hesitant. Here's what it said: THE STATION IS THE FINIAL AT THE APEX OF THE ROOF OF THE ELLENDALE MUNICIPAL WATER TANK icon_eek.gif

Should I assume that I am not going to be able to log this one, or can I just get a pic of the water tower and consider it logged?? icon_confused.gif

HarleyHetz

Unless the description says there's a disk, special nail, or some such small marker up there, you can log tower finials by standing safely on the ground and perhaps taking a picture. Log it as "found it".

The structure has to be the same one, however. For example, a problem with water towers; if the description notes a water tower with 4 legs and you see a tank with no legs, then it isn't the same structure and should not be logged as "found it". Instead, use "post a note".

Thanks guys,

I've seen the tank a hundred times, just never realized it's significance!! It says there is a disk up there, and even though I'm not afraid of heights, it would probably get me a trip to jail to climb the tower to get a pic of the disk!!

Thanks again, and happy hunting! icon_redface.gif)

HarleyHetz

Harley -

I don't see in the description where it says there is a disk up there. Instead, the marker is the finial, which is a pointy thing on top of the center of a structure.

If the tank is the same one on four legs as described, log it as "found it". If it is a replacement tank, select "post a note". Put your pic in the gallery in either case.

[This message was edited by Black Dog Trackers on February 22, 2003 at 06:50 AM.]