Alternatives to ziplocks?

d+n.s

So, I have these little notepads to put in caches, but a ziplock seems too... flimsy?

In the future I might put logs in a smaller container like a pill bottle or whatever, but there has to be something better for the standard cheap notepad right?

This question occured to me after watching this video:

What is that thing they are putting the log in?

I want one :)

well, any ideas?

P.S. I put this in getting started because for all I know his is common cacher knowledge.

Edited by d+n.shults

ZipLock makes a double layer "Freezer Bag" -- which is nearly bullet proof. Generally the Ziplock sandwich bags are pretty flimsy. The "Freezer Bags" and "Double Freezer Bags" are more reliable.

ahhhhh... I see... This is good to know, thanks!

I'm assuming they look just like the regular ones but thicker? I may have to snag some.

I still wonder what that bag in the video is...

Looks kind of like this bag

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/belt-case-br-824-1653-0.html

but those are too pricey to be it I would assume

Edited by d+n.shults

Freezer bags work well.

You can also find some even thicker (6 mil) bags online and buy them in bulk. The best thing about these is that they come in a variety of sizes so you can buy ones that fit your logbooks. OK you might wind up with a thousand of them, but I'm sure you can find a use for the rest.

Keeping pens and pencils out of the bag also helps them last longer, but it seems that finders insist on putting the pens and pencils inside the bag. I always leave the pencils outside the bag when I place a cache but invariably when I go back, the pencil is in the bag with the logbook.

Ideally the Ziploc is nothing more than last resort protection and the container should be sufficient to keep the logbook dry.

Edited by briansnat

I'm assuming they look just like the regular ones but thicker? I may have to snag some.

Yes, they look the same but say "freezer bag" on the box. Most places have a choice of pint or quart size bags. Get whichever size will give a little room in the bag. I have found the bag will split quickly from people trying to get the log out and in when it is a really tight fit.

... I might put logs in a cmaller container like a pill bottle or whatever,...

Pill bottle - ick!! I've rarely seen one of those in the wild for a few months that had dry contents. They do not make good Geocache containers for the most part.

---- and yes - I use the freezer bags but only to separate the logbook from the rest of the cache - I want the container to keep things dry.

... I might put logs in a cmaller container like a pill bottle or whatever,...

Pill bottle - ick!! I've rarely seen one of those in the wild for a few months that had dry contents. They do not make good Geocache containers for the most part.

---- and yes - I use the freezer bags but only to separate the logbook from the rest of the cache - I want the container to keep things dry.

:)

I don't plan on using a ziplock OR a pill bottle as a geocache CONTAINER. Just a place to put the log IN the container as a last line of defense...

:laughing:

Sorry if I wasn't clear in the OP. It was late

I want one :laughing:

I think it is one of these:

http://www.myeyeglasscase.com/index.cfm/a/...20758/catid/209

and it doesn't seal tight...

That looks right. Thanks for the info! Yeah, probably not a good choice.

Edited by d+n.shults

So, I have these little notepads to put in caches, but a ziplock seems too... flimsy?

In the future I might put logs in a smaller container like a pill bottle or whatever, but there has to be something better for the standard cheap notepad right?

I want one :)

well, any ideas?

P.S. I put this in getting started because for all I know his is common cacher knowledge.

If you look closely in the video you can see as the log book is being inserted that there is a zip lock track inside, and when the log is inside the person then finger seals the ziplock. I'm pretty sure that this is a black ziplock bag. You can find them on the web and they're used for things that are light sensitive. I used to have some that were just slightly larger than the one show, used for photography and storing rolls of exposed film to ensure no light damage to the roll.

I want one :blink:

well, any ideas?

If you look closely in the video you can see as the log book is being inserted that there is a zip lock track inside, and when the log is inside the person then finger seals the ziplock. I'm pretty sure that this is a black ziplock bag. You can find them on the web and they're used for things that are light sensitive. I used to have some that were just slightly larger than the one show, used for photography and storing rolls of exposed film to ensure no light damage to the roll.

Oh wow! Really? thats kind of cool...

How do they rate durability wise?

I bought a hundred 2x3" 4 mil ziplock baggies and they are perfect, not too flimsy. From ebay, only $5.40 shipped.

Don't have them delivered to your office unless you want your co-workers to think you're a drug dealer.

To be completely honest, in the area of Austin I live in it would probably be easier for me to check some of the local "head shops"

Edited by d+n.shults

If you don't mind the expense you might want to consider aLokSak for the log...

Manufacturers web page I've used some as part of a first aid kit and they seem to be good, as long as people actually seal them.

Z.

Might be worth a look! thanks

BTW- I'm very suprised no one has made some "official log protectors" or something. I mean, they do it with everything else right? If the price was right I could see someone having some success with resealable bags made of a thick material that have a stash not printed on the outside or something...

Edited by d+n.shults

The ones that I've used are pretty durable. Not sure on the thickness but I have used them to store film long-term in the frig, have carried them with film out in freezing and hot weather. But I'm not necessarily advocating them, was just trying to help to identify what was in the video. ;)

I want one :rolleyes:

well, any ideas?

Oh wow! Really? thats kind of cool...

How do they rate durability wise?

I bought a hundred 2x3" 4 mil ziplock baggies and they are perfect, not too flimsy. From ebay, only $5.40 shipped.

Don't have them delivered to your office unless you want your co-workers to think you're a drug dealer.

To be completely honest, in the area of Austin I live in it would probably be easier for me to check some of the local "head shops"

I use Ezy Dose bags from the pharmacy. They are sturdier than regular ziplock bags and small enough to fit into most any micro. Unfortunately, I do not know how much they are. I always get them as easy gifts from elder relatives who are regularly at the pharmacy.

I picked up 50 of them for about $3 from a large chain... I needed them for prescription meds though.

Z.

You can get 2"x3" baggies at Walmart in the craft section. 100 bags are about $2. Look for the glass beads (not kids plastic crap) and metal clasps/wires/dangles. That is the jewelry making section. These bags are used by jewelry artist to package earrings/bracelets. There are 2-4 different sizes, and they are all inexpensive. The thickness is somewhere between a regular sandwich bag (flimsy) and a freezer bag (thick.)

What I'd like to know is where is the best place to obtain/purchase the smaller ziplock bags for the micro/small logs?

I cant find them anywhere and the snack size ziploks are way too big

I would think a jewelery store would carry such itmes but those can only be bought in bulk (500-1000 each)

Ive seen them in so many caches but dont know where folks are getting them

Please help

Thanks

salsaguy

Yeah I was able to find those at my Walgreens. Had to go to 2 stores but got 2 packs

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Acc...6002644-product

They are $2.99 for 50 count.

They are a good size for the magnetic key holders and small containers. They do fit the 35mm canisters s well if you fold em over

For replacing the really small 1x2 broken/torn ones Ive seen in the caches, they may not work.

At least I have some now

As the guy above (post 18) said, Ezy Dose Pill Pouches from a pharmacy. About 2 x 3 inches.

If you don't like that size, there's always eBay or craft stores.

Edited by salsaguy

Get a securely waterproof container in the first place lol.

Whatever you do don't get the ones that have a sliding zipper. Once someone folds it or is rough with it it falls of its trac and ruins the seal. So in the event that the container is not closed properly or has reached the end of it's life and water comes in the log is soaked.

I like freezer bags because they are study and are meant for long term keeping. I think it's just eventual that you have to go out and replace your ziplocks. Unless you want to put a micro container in there with a roll up logbook. (Which is more expensive and annoying to roll out and put back in)

+1

If your cache container really is waterproof then you don't need ziplocks. Ziplocks soon wear out or don't get sealed properly by cachers and if water can get into the cache container it will also get inside the ziplock and the bag will trap moisture next to the logbook.

Save your money by not buying ziplocks and put it towards some truly waterproof containers.

Call me a fan of the cache inside a cache method. Also make sure the bag/container is smaller than the pen. Around here, everyone assumes the pen/pencil goes in the ziplock bag with the logbook. An interesting theory but 95% of the time leads to a nice pen size hole in the baggie, thus rendering it useless.

I've seen a few of the log in a film canister inside an ammo can (or tupperware) and gotta say, I have yet to encounter a wet one. Regarding the comment above about never needing a ziplock bag if the container is waterproof, well that only works in areas with minimal annual rainfall or areas where local cachers are afraid of the rain. We have lots of people around here that won't hold an umbrella over the cache while signing in - thus water gets in the cache, despite the CO's best efforts.

Downside of the logbook in a film canister (inside a waterproof cache like an ammo can) is the logbook tends to be a rolled up piece of paper and that negates the ability to log your story in the book.

+1

If your cache container really is waterproof then you don't need ziplocks. Ziplocks soon wear out or don't get sealed properly by cachers and if water can get into the cache container it will also get inside the ziplock and the bag will trap moisture next to the logbook.

Save your money by not buying ziplocks and put it towards some truly waterproof containers.

Believe it or not I can afford both. :grin:

I'll spend my money how I please. :lol:

Edited by d+n.shults