Interesting event

gnbrotz

Today, GhostHunter & I plan to attend the re-setting of a marker along the Mason-Dixon line.

You can find the info for the destroyed mark by looking at JV4175. Although not officially recovered since 1942, the mark was only destroyed a couple of years ago. I'll link to any photos I take after the event. Newspaper articles about the event can be found here, here, and here.

The ceremony is supposed to be at 2:00. If anyone is nearby, please come join us!

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

[This message was edited by gnbrotz on October 19, 2002 at 06:38 AM.]

These kind of events are fairly common, usually conducted by the society of professional land surveyors in the particular state. Some do it only once or twice a year, some more often. The points reset are usually corners of states or counties or other points with special historic significance. Anyone is usually welcome to attend as the surveyors use it as an opportunity to promote the industry and educate the public about the profession, so anyone interested should contact their state's society.

quote:
Originally posted by survey tech:

These kind of events are fairly common, usually conducted by the society of professional land surveyors in the particular state. Some do it only once or twice a year, some more often. The points reset are usually corners of states or counties or other points with special historic significance.

The Mason-Dixon line holds a pretty good amount of history. It has through history and I think to a small degree still today does have some meaning. I know I think about being back in the south after having traveled north and cross that line coming home. I would also guess there are few other lines that have been a part of a dying man's wishes. On his deathbed Gen. J.E.B. Stuart told his wife to make sure his children were schooled south of the Mason-Dixon Line.