guaging interest

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to place a long distance, fairly high difficulty multi as opposed to 3 or 4 medium to medium/high difficulty regular caches. The area I'm in wouldn't get many visits for either, but probably less for the multi. When I say long distance, I'm talking a total of somewhere between 15-25 miles from stage to stage, 3 or 4 stages. Still trying to figure out all the specifics, I just wanted to bounce this one off of you guys to see which, if you were in my area, you would prefer.

Please keep the "it's up to you"s to yourself, I'm well aware with whom the final decision lies :laughing:

I've got a few multi's down here where I live and up in your area (Lake Pillsbury) also. And lately I've noticed that if you place any cache where the person has to do more than one stage per smilie or walk on dirt, your looking at very few finds per year.

Wow Dadfish, one of your Pillsbury caches was one of the caches that inspired me to think about this one. BigD and I were talking about making a Pillsbury run sometime in the next month or so. One of the stages I was planning on was out that direction, just not that far out.

I'm okay with seldom visits, it seems even the urban caches here don't get hit very often. I'm leaning more and more towards enjoying those that are a little more difficult, and am trying to lean towards "hide what you like to find."

Uhhhh..... Twin Peaks? Is that the one I'm thinking of? Maybe...

I'd do a 15 to 25 mile multi. There's one here that goes from Ottawa to Montreal - a two hour drive.

This one would probably take at least that long in one shot. If all goes well, one of the stages will be on top of a big rock. It'll take a while to climb up and back down. That's one I've got to find out about permission for, I'm not sure if it's privately owned.

I'm also not sure if how I feel about putting out pill bottles for stages of a multi in pretty cool spots that could sport their own ammo can.

.... if how I feel about putting out pill bottles for stages of a multi in pretty cool spots that could sport their own ammo can.

Pill bottles -ick!!

Almost all of those leak badly and make very poor cache containers. I rarely see one with dry contents after they have been out a few months.

.... if how I feel about putting out pill bottles for stages of a multi in pretty cool spots that could sport their own ammo can.

Pill bottles -ick!!

Almost all of those leak badly and make very poor cache containers. I rarely see one with dry contents after they have been out a few months.

Bison Tubes? Water proof match containers? Small Lock n Lock?

I'd do a 15 to 25 mile multi. There's one here that goes from Ottawa to Montreal - a two hour drive.

This one would probably take at least that long in one shot. If all goes well, one of the stages will be on top of a big rock. It'll take a while to climb up and back down. That's one I've got to find out about permission for, I'm not sure if it's privately owned.

I'm also not sure if how I feel about putting out pill bottles for stages of a multi in pretty cool spots that could sport their own ammo can.

Ah, then what you want to make is a Mystery/Puzzle cache with a few traditionals to support it.

Your final would be the Mystery/Puzzle and the traditionals would contain portions of the coords (or similar method) to resolve the location of the Mystery/Puzzle.

Put a link to the Mystery/Puzzle on every supporting traditionals descriptions and expect more found its.

Ah, then what you want to make is a Mystery/Puzzle cache with a few traditionals to support it.

Your final would be the Mystery/Puzzle and the traditionals would contain portions of the coords (or similar method) to resolve the location of the Mystery/Puzzle.

Put a link to the Mystery/Puzzle on every supporting traditionals descriptions and expect more found its.

Dude, that hadn't even crossed my mind. I think I just got my answer. Thank you O blue faced avatar that makes my dreams a little bothersome :)

There's a 10-stage multi-cache that spans 3 counties, requiring 50-100 miles of driving (depending how you do it) that I'm considering saving for my 1000th find.

If it makes sense (to you) as a single multi-cache, then do it that way. If it makes more sense as a few separate caches, then do it that way.

Wow Dadfish, one of your Pillsbury caches was one of the caches that inspired me to think about this one. BigD and I were talking about making a Pillsbury run sometime in the next month or so. One of the stages I was planning on was out that direction, just not that far out.

I'm okay with seldom visits, it seems even the urban caches here don't get hit very often. I'm leaning more and more towards enjoying those that are a little more difficult, and am trying to lean towards "hide what you like to find."

Uhhhh..... Twin Peaks? Is that the one I'm thinking of? Maybe...

Yea, Twin Peaks is mine. Easy finds, long drive. You'll love the final!

Well. I'm pretty sure that I've never guagged. But anywho...

There is a place and a market for such caches. Just don't expect a lot of interest, or a lot of finds. I've got a five-stage mystery caches based on the game Clue. Mile hike, and a four hundred foot climb, each way. (And it requires a hiking permit.) Great trail, beautiful area. It even has bears! Going on four years, it has had sixteen finds. The people who have found it absolutely love it! But only four finds a year. Oh, well.

Central Park Decathlon was a 5/3 ten-stage multi that covered the length and breadth of Central Park. Only took us five and a half months to complete! Fourteen finds in two years, in the Greatest City in the World!

Bridges & Arches of Central Park is a 32 stage virtual multi covering the same area. That one only took us four days over two months... It has 155 finds in two years!

In the right place, with the right set up, it can work. And there is definitely an audience. Just don't expect a lot of finds.

Please keep the "it's up to you"s to yourself, I'm well aware with whom the final decision lies :laughing:

mr. smarty pants... it IS up to us. we control you, that is why you are here asking us!!! :):laughing:

as for the topic... i could say yes... and there are other people in this neck of the woods that would do a long cache as well. heck, there was one here 3 months ago that opened up... definitely was 400 miles... and some numbskull did it... in one 24 hour period. gotta love the obsession to being the mythical FTF.