trackables

sunwonder

I am really sick of spending a lot of money on TB's for cachers not to take care of them and keep them moving or cache owners not taking care that the cache not go missing!

There's not much you can do after placing them into the wild. I've tried to cut costs where possible, and then only placed a small number of TBs and coins. My interest is watching how far they may go before they stall or vanish. Looks like most don't get very far. :laughing: Edited by kunarion

I am really sick of spending a lot of money on TB's for cachers not to take care of them and keep them moving or cache owners not taking care that the cache not go missing!

There's not much you can do after placing them into the wild. I've tried to cut costs where possible, and then only placed a small number of TBs and coins. My interest is watching how far they may go before they stall or vanish. Looks like most don't get very far. :laughing:

yeah maybe Groundspeak needs to put something on their front page about this problem. I was just on vacation and just activate 2 that did not get past where I placed them. :)

iknow what ya talking about i have acoolbreez (cache) at my office i place all my own TB's there and on a daily base i go out there in the mornings at check to make sure that its still there and to keep it from being filled with junk and i have 4 tbs that someone to0k and out it,and out of the 4~` 2 have loged them so yea i can understand that it would up-set you but its only object that we can not take wit hus when we die so if that i lost ,or loose a TB so what i just get another and in hops that the next time it will be loged :)

There's not much you can do after placing them into the wild. I've tried to cut costs where possible, and then only placed a small number of TBs and coins. My interest is watching how far they may go before they stall or vanish. Looks like most don't get very far. :blink:

Sometimes it just depend on who happens to pick it up and where they'll be traveling and some can last a long time and travel to many places. I brought a little garden gnome TB that belongs to a friend with me to Rome a couple of years ago. It's been on my watch list ever since so I've watched it's travels to Portugal, Sweden, Germany, and as of a couple of days ago, Austria. I've taken TBs to Africa and back on a couple of occasions.

i found my first TB yesterday! Very exciting. i looked up its log and was surprised to see it only traveled 10 miles in a years time! Seems strange as i live in a SnowBird state and many residents (and cachers) have homes up North too.

i'll be taking it across the state next week, so it will finally get some miles.

i found my first TB yesterday! Very exciting. i looked up its log and was surprised to see it only traveled 10 miles in a years time! Seems strange as i live in a SnowBird state and many residents (and cachers) have homes up North too.

i'll be taking it across the state next week, so it will finally get some miles.

Indeed, of the TBs and coins that I've found some where found shortly before a planned trip to Los Angeles and some while there. I took the ones from Portland, Oregon down with me and brought some back. Both sides got miles. At least one that I dropped in LA went off to the east some distance after...

Z.

Unfortunately, as the sport grows in popularity, the more clueless and inconsiderate join our ranks. This is why i have little desire to purchase trackables. Groundspeak has succeeded in advertising our sport to the general public, and now we're seeing the result of it.

Edited by ohmerfam

Bugs have been going missing since before I joined. Release a bug and give it all the chances you can to stay in circulation - sturdy, un-collectible and a clear mission tag. Report in your log whenever you didn't find a listed bug. Keep an eye on your bugs and caches and clear them out when it's time to declare the bug missing.

The taking, then not logging and then not re-releasing of geocoins really seems to be an unfortunate ongoing trend. Seems that a lot of people (most new, and even some of the veterans of geocaching) have no idea about how to trade even or trade up. Seems to be a lot of "junk" items appearing in caches we are finding and most of this trend has gotten worse just since January it seems.

To show how bad it is in Kansas City, I placed a geocoin on 6/6 in a cache called Kandor1234 that I picked up in Indiana in May. Two people logged the cache today (6/8) and noted that the coin was not there, even though no one else has logged the cache since I was there on Sunday. Everything else we placed in the cache was traded though.

Then again the geocoin could be like one of ours, where it was placed in a rarely accessed cache 6 feet up in a tree and left there for over 3 months. When rescued it was taken to another cache that also has very few visitors so it was stuck there another 4 months and just recently moved and has not been re-released into the wild yet. We are trying to get the coin to Thailand, but so far it has gone about 200 miles east-southeast and then back through Kansas City over to middle Kansas, meaning that it has never been more than 200 miles away from it's homebase. But at least it hasn't been muggled.. or worse put into someone's private collection that they traded 1 green army man for.

Edited by GeoKCRich

The taking, then not logging and then not re-releasing of geocoins really seems to be an unfortunate ongoing trend. Seems that a lot of people (most new, and even some of the veterans of geocaching) have no idea about how to trade even or trade up.

Of course there are even a few people who are not aware that trackables (TBs and GCs) are NOT trade items and are for MOVING around freely... (of course some coins are for collecting/trading, but not the trackable ones once activated)

As for green army guys... I've got to move one here and there then let him go! Same goes for the green jeep we picked up so he could ride around...

Doug 7rxc

yeah maybe Groundspeak needs to put something on their front page about this problem. I was just on vacation and just activate 2 that did not get past where I placed them. :)

Groundspeak has a link on every cache page that reads "What is a Travel Bug" to explain what it is.

Groundspeak has sent out information on trackables several times in the Weekly Newsletter to explain what it is.

Groundspeak has a link to trackables on the left side of each page to explain what it is.

Groundspeak has a Groundspeak Knowledge Books area for trackables, to explain what it is.

Aside from going out there and physically bopping people over the head with the Groundspeak Knowledge Book until they read it, I don't know what more they can do. I think there are plenty of places. It's up to geocacher #1 to help other geocacher #2 understand the game when #1 takes #2 out caching. Especially if #2 is not the type to find this stuff on their own.

If new cachers don't learn, teach them. Teach newbies at events. Teach newbies in the forums. Teach newbies through your Trackables page. Teach newbies through your cache pages.

Sunwonder, regarding your own personal Trackables, I went back to April, and the only trackables I can see, that you dropped off, were the Lackey Geocoin, which is in a cache that hasn't been found since your visit, and the Gone Fishing 2 TB, which has been picked up and dropped into another cache. Could you provide a link to the missing ones? I only see one marked missing on your list of trackables.

Ah, then. You should have sisters like mine! I got six geocoins for Christmas! Only put one out so far.

Oh, wait a minute... I put one in one of my caches last August, and no one has visited it since!

I've got one TB with 45000 miles on it! And one with 15000 miles nearing its goal to visit my sister in Maine. (Unless, of course, someone moves it to Australia...) (It's first goal was to visit my brother in Seattle. He dropped it off in the Czech Republik with the goal to visit my sister. Three and a half years later it has made it to New England!)

Yes. I've had some disappear from the caches that I've put them in. Some have only gone 110 miles.

Ya puts up your money, and ya takes your chances. You root for them to succeed. And you say "Oh, well" if they disappear. If you're going to be disappointed if they disappear, then this is not the sport for you.