Droid, Android, etc and geocaching

My purpose for this thread is not to discuss the app that WILL REMAIN UNNAMED, but to encourage a discussion as to why there hasnt been an app developed by Groundspeak FOR geocaching on the ANDROID platform. Nothing more, nothing less.

When is GS going to quit ignoring the elephant in the room and get us an official Android app? With Google's numbers showing 65,000+ phones a day shipped, it is a platform that shouldn't be ignored.

Every time there is an update to the GC website, there is bound to be a handful of posts crying because certain apps quit working, and then the holier than thou "you're stealing - morality" debate begins and the mods lock the thread.

Paying for an app isnt the issue. I have no problem forking over a few more bucks. I gave GS $30 after my first couple finds for my premium membership. GeoHunter and GeoBeagle work great, IF you know where you are going to be caching, and have loaded a PQ beforehand. To one of the other posters that claimed GH and GB violated the TOU, I suggest you try the program before telling someone they are wrong. They only work on PQ's, but you can get your PQ's through bcaching, (which requires a PM, so even THAT doesn't violate the TOU). Once again, this is useless, IF you have a few minutes to kill and decide to grab a cache or two.

All I want is an app that will work on the fly, and I have no problem paying for it, but WHY isnt one available?

Edited by bobdammit

They haven't finished working on it yet.

Meanwhile - you can cache just like the vast majority of us with PQs and the apps you mentioned.

I don't see any reason to fall off the deep end over this. Be patient. Who said each and every device needs to be fully supported??

I'd be thrilled to get an official Geocaching app for my Palm Pre webOS phone too.. hmm maybe I should start a thread ranting about what's taking GS so long(?)

..I guess the Blackberry guys can start their own thread

..& the Symbian dudes can do the same(?)

--oh hey, Win-mo users deserve an app too

Or.. just go buy an iPhone? Hey, problem solved :laughing:

GeoHunter and GeoBeagle work great, IF you know where you are going to be caching, and have loaded a PQ beforehand. To one of the other posters that claimed GH and GB violated the TOU, I suggest you try the program before telling someone they are wrong. They only work on PQ's, but you can get your PQ's through bcaching, (which requires a PM, so even THAT doesn't violate the TOU). Once again, this is useless, IF you have a few minutes to kill and decide to grab a cache or two.
For the record, I use GeoBeagle for spur-of-the-moment caching. It works fine, as long as you have a data connection, and it respects Groundspeak's TOU. The process is simple:
  • Open GeoBeagle.
  • Select the link to the geocaching.com search page, which opens in the Android browser.
  • View the list of caches near your current coordinates in the Android browser.
  • Pick a cache and view its description in the Android browser.
  • Select the "Google Maps" link in the Android browser.
  • When the Android browser asks you how you want to view the Google Maps link, select GeoBeagle.
  • Use GeoBeagle to find the cache and submit a field note, and use the Android browser to view the cache description, hint, etc.

But most of the time, I use GeoBeagle with a PQ. That's much nicer because I don't need a data connection, and because all the data is in GeoBeagle. But spur-of-the-moment caching works too.

Or.. just go buy an iPhone? Hey, problem solved :)

Maybe once the public quits drinking the iKoolaid, and realizes there are viable alternatives to the i(whatever is cool this week), android will be recognised for the platform it is.

Seems to me, reading up on the iPhone forum, that app isn't wonderful either.

I guess asking a question was just too much for some people, pass the popcorn, and maybe we will see an app in the next 12 months.

StarBand, I guess I am alone in geocaching when I have some spare time, where ever I might be. That's half the fun of playing as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by bobdammit

An official Groundspeak Droid app has been in development and testing for at least 6 months now. At one point a Q1 release was expected but we're looking at at least Q3 now, due to whatever issues they have had in the testing/programming.

In the meantime, GeoBeagle is a pretty good workaround.

My friend has an iPhone with the official app and really likes it.

Or.. just go buy an iPhone? Hey, problem solved :)

Maybe once the public quits drinking the iKoolaid, and realizes there are viable alternatives to the i(whatever is cool this week), android will be recognised for the platform it is.

I guess asking a question was just too much for some people, pass the popcorn, and maybe we will see an app in the next 12 months.

StarBand, I guess I am alone in geocaching when I have some spare time, where ever I might be. That's half the fun of playing as far as I'm concerned.

I have simply used the browser on my Droid to open the GC.com site and search based on where I am. Works ok but I will be glad when there is an officially sanctioned app to make it a bit easier.

+1. the iphoon is a terrible platform, crippled beyond belief.

They are working on an Android app and are currently doing beta testing.

There's a thread in the iPhone forum about it here, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4345193

"We were originally working with an outside development company to port our iPhone application to the Android platform. For a variety of reasons, we made the decision to bring the final stages of refinement and pre-launch development exclusively in-house approximately two weeks ago.

We have one mobile development team and they are currently focused on the Android release and the iPhone V4.0 release. Although we are planning to work on an iPad version, it is not our focus at this time and geocaching application resources are solely being allocated to iPhone and Android."

Oh great. I registered a couple of years ago with good intention of geocaching. Well, I never got started when I had my BB Storm. Now I'm using the Android platform and actually found my very first cache today. I came over to the forums and started reading. I didn't realize the forum has a lot of negativity on it.

I guess I didn't realize Android is an evil stepchild. Sure would be nice to have an official Geocache application to use. The cache I found today was a 2-1/2 star one and was deep in the woods. I used an android app called (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) - it worked out great. Got me within a foot of the cache.

I was amused by the iPhone comments, remember AT&T just put a 200MB limit on monthly usage on that iPhone. Considering I don't do any wireless tether and used 9GB on my past bill cycle, it hardly makes sense to switch to an inferior network and a far inferior phone to the Android.

Bobdammit, I hope 6 months from now we are singing the praises of our official geocaching Android app!

Droid Does.

Edited by Keystone
I guess I didn't realize Android is an evil stepchild.
I don't understand where this idea comes from. The Android version of the Geocaching.com app is in the final stages of development. Sure, the Android version will be released after the iPhone version, but Android came out after the iPhone too.

P.S. - we can say "GEO Beagle" but we can't mention the one that starts with C: (makes no sense).
Yes, it makes sense. GeoBeagle respects the geocaching.com TOU. The other app violates the geocaching.com TOU. Groundspeak doesn't want their forums used to promote the app that violates the TOU, so they remove references to it and ban discussion of it.

I may not agree with the way they're handling it, but it does make sense that they treat GeoBeagle differently from the app that violates the TOU.

I guess I didn't realize Android is an evil stepchild.
I don't understand where this idea comes from. The Android version of the Geocaching.com app is in the final stages of development. Sure, the Android version will be released after the iPhone version, but Android came out after the iPhone too.

P.S. - we can say "GEO Beagle" but we can't mention the one that starts with C: (makes no sense).
Yes, it makes sense. GeoBeagle respects the geocaching.com TOU. The other app violates the geocaching.com TOU. Groundspeak doesn't want their forums used to promote the app that violates the TOU, so they remove references to it and ban discussion of it.

I may not agree with the way they're handling it, but it does make sense that they treat GeoBeagle differently from the app that violates the TOU.

Just curious (because I am new), how does the other app violate the TOU? You can email me back if you want kn3a (at) arrl (dot) (net), or reply here if it's ok. I guess I thought GPS apps for geocaching are GPS apps to cache with, and don't see how it wouldn't promote geocaching.

Just curious (because I am new), how does the other app violate the TOU? You can email me back if you want kn3a (at) arrl (dot) (net), or reply here if it's ok. I guess I thought GPS apps for geocaching are GPS apps to cache with, and don't see how it wouldn't promote geocaching.

it's not about supporting geocaching. the app makes requests to the website, parses the resulting pages and uses the resulting data for its own uses. this is not allowed under the TOU. the TOU say that you're supposed to use the website as a website, i.e. look at it with a web browser, and nothing else.

I would love it if the developer of the working app would make some changes. His app works great and it could, I assume, be changed so you could find caches via the website. For instance, it could pick your location and then take you to the GC map with the caches on it. Then you could pick one of the caches from the GC map and have the details displayed. Then, the app could offer navigation to those coords.

I'm sure there's a way to do it so it doesn't violate the TOU. (of course the TOU could be changed at any time to stop the changes from being legal)

Just curious (because I am new), how does the other app violate the TOU?
As dfx explains, the app scrapes the geocaching.com web site, which is prohibited:
5. Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (b) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

I would love it if the developer of the working app would make some changes. His app works great and it could, I assume, be changed so you could find caches via the website. For instance, it could pick your location and then take you to the GC map with the caches on it. Then you could pick one of the caches from the GC map and have the details displayed. Then, the app could offer navigation to those coords.
FWIW, that's essentially what GeoBeagle and related apps do. They get information from PQs and from Google Maps, and they open the geocaching.com search page in the Android browser (centered on your current coordinates). You use the Android browser to pick a cache and read its description. When you click on the Google Maps link, the Android browser offers to open the link in the browser, in the native Maps app, in GeoBeagle, or in any other app you've installed that registers an interest in Google Maps URLs. If you choose GeoBeagle, then GeoBeagle gets the coordinates and GCxxxxx ID from Google Maps. You use GeoBeagle to find the cache and log field notes, and you use the Android browser to view the cache page. It all works nicely, and GeoBeagle never gets data directly from the geocaching.com web site, so it never violates the TOU restrictions on scrapers.