Quality Hide vrs Trashcache?

SeekerOfTheWay

New and having fun so far! i've read a bit on the forums and have come across something i'd like clarification on. i'm still learning the guidelines and rules of GCing. i saw the term "trashcache" when referring to someone hiding many caches..

What makes a quality hide? What makes something a trash cache, or bad hide?

The way I see it is one of either two things:

A container that probably is not suitable (weather-wise) for keeping water/moisture intrusion at bay;

A cache wherein the SWAG has degraded to a point that it contains nothing other than (legitimate) trash.

The first is curable, the second is not.

A bad hide does not necessarily equate to being a "trashcache".

Understood regarding trash in the cache, or a bad container. Now, the owner of the cache can (and should) replace and maintain the container. Are they not allowed to get rid of any crappy or unsuitable items within the container? Or do those have to remain bc others put them there?

What makes a bad hide then?

The way I see it is one of either two things:

A container that probably is not suitable (weather-wise) for keeping water/moisture intrusion at bay;

A cache wherein the SWAG has degraded to a point that it contains nothing other than (legitimate) trash.

The first is curable, the second is not.

A bad hide does not necessarily equate to being a "trashcache".

The CO is not responsible for SWAG degradation. SOME owners will glean the garbage out, but only if they are aware of it.

Truth of the matter is, keeping a cache clean of the garbage falls upon the visiting cachers. We routinely remove fireworks, chewing gum, candy and bottled liquids (they are gonna leak and ruin everything) from caches. These items simply should not be left in caches, for various reasons.

We also remove corroded batteries, rusty metal whatevers, soggy and mildewy papers and business cards, used dirtbike sparkplugs and broken master links (can't fathom why one would leave them -- outside of being a jerk).

You should CITO a cache interior much like you would the trail to the cache. Do leave something worthwhile though, after taking so much out. :laughing:

EDIT: A "bad" hide could be innumerable things. Poor thought and/or planning in prep for the hide; placement IN a grove of poison ivy; easy access by muggles (or easily noticed by); etc. "Bad" hides could also include placements simply where there shouldn't be any, i.e. shopping mall parking lots or the like where a "stealthy-acting" geocacher will ultimately get the bomb squad out to check/blow up/dismantle the "suspicious" package.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Ok! i didn't know that! i found some soggy baseball cards in one yesterday but i didn't know to take it out. Will be aware next time. Thank you!

The CO is not responsible for SWAG degradation. SOME owners will glean the garbage out, but only if they are aware of it.

Truth of the matter is, keeping a cache clean of the garbage falls upon the visiting cachers. We routinely remove fireworks, chewing gum, candy and bottled liquids (they are gonna leak and ruin everything) from caches. These items simply should not be left in caches, for various reasons.

We also remove corroded batteries, rusty metal whatevers, soggy and mildewy papers and business cards, used dirtbike sparkplugs and broken master links (can't fathom why one would leave them -- outside of being a jerk).

You should CITO a cache interior much like you would the trail to the cache. Do leave something worthwhile though, after taking so much out. :laughing:

As they say - the 3 most importnat things are: location, location, location. Take me somewhere scenic, historical, unique, important, special to you, old, new - then tell me why you brought me there.

Add to that any container that keeps the contents nice and dry and it is a good cache.

Yes, that makes sense! Will remember that. i don't even really care what's in the cache. i took 2 things, including a TB and left items. But that's not the fun part for me.

i'll probably wait a while before actually making/placing my first cache. At least until i've found 20 or so, so that i can get a better understanding and over picture of this game.

Someone wise once said, have a reason to bring me to a place and let me know that reason. If the reason is just to find the cache, then find another place. A great hide is usually in a place that you would enjoy seeing even if the cache wasn't there.

New and having fun so far! i've read a bit on the forums and have come across something i'd like clarification on. i'm still learning the guidelines and rules of GCing. i saw the term "trashcache" when referring to someone hiding many caches..

Some people will tell you that there is no such thing as a bad hide. Others will make a distinction.

For me (and many other cachers I know) the #1 criteria for a quality cache is the location. A quality cache brings me to a spot that I would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there. It might be a scenic overlook, a peaceful spot in the woods, an historic site, a pretty spot in a park, a scenic stream or pond, an oddity, a cool rock formation or simply at the end of a pleasant walk. #2 is that the container is waterproof and appropriate for the spot.

Think of why you are bringing people to that spot. If it's just for the cache, then choose another spot. If you do that your cache is already better than half of the caches out there.

For me "trash cache" or bad hide would include some, or all of these:

-Unappealing or mundane location. e.g. near homeless camps, litter strewn lots, strip malls, parking lots, guardrails along nondescript sections of road, dumpster areas, office parks.

-Container that is not watertight

-In an in inappropriate area. e.g. private property without permission. environmentally sensitive areas, places where geocachers are likely to attract negative attention.

Edited by briansnat

I'm surprised at the people that don't like shopping mall caches! I love malls in parking lots... I think that its a plus to have it in a unique location, but the main thing that I care about is the hide! If I wanted to go to a great location I would use Waymarking. I like the fun of trying to find an insanely well hidden cache, the feeling of YEAAHHH I FOUND IT! Just after searching for an hour.

EDIT: I perfer it when a cache is hard because of great camo, not because they hid it so far into a bush. For example, I seen one that was a red reflector on a stop sign, it was easy to find sure... But the creativity is astounding on that one.

Edited by Coldgears

I'm surprised at the people that don't like shopping mall caches! I love malls in parking lots... I think that its a plus to have it in a unique location, but the main thing that I care about is the hide! If I wanted to go to a great location I would use Waymarking. I like the fun of trying to find an insanely well hidden cache, the feeling of YEAAHHH I FOUND IT! Just after searching for an hour.

EDIT: I perfer it when a cache is hard because of great camo, not because they hid it so far into a bush. For example, I seen one that was a red reflector on a stop sign, it was easy to find sure... But the creativity is astounding on that one.

By the time you have seen a few reflectors and been to more malls than you have ever visited before in your life . . . . To me, it can't take the place of the spot where caching brought me to yesterday. I stood on a ridge overlooking endless valleys and the mountains far away and was reminded of all the reasons why I started to cache. Of course then I had to find the cache and was reminded of all the reasons I find the game to be annoying at times. So there you have it, an insane cache in a great spot. Something for everyone. A quality hide, I suppose. But I am still an ammo-can-in-the-woods-or-mountains kind of guy.

Edited by Erickson

Ok, so i guess there's a lot of personal preference. i'd rather be out in the wilderness. i guess if i *had to go to the mall, i'd like a cache to search for while my friends shopped!

i'm not sure yet whether i like well hidden cache or those that are more difficult to get to. Experience will tell..i have enjoyed the longer hikes.

Some people will tell you that there is no such thing as a bad hide. Others will make a distinction.

For me (and many other cachers I know) the #1 criteria for a quality cache is the location. A quality cache brings me to a spot that I would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there. It might be a scenic overlook, a peaceful spot in the woods, an historic site, a pretty spot in a park, a scenic stream or pond, an oddity, a cool rock formation or simply at the end of a pleasant walk. #2 is that the container is waterproof and appropriate for the spot.

Think of why you are bringing people to that spot. If it's just for the cache, then choose another spot. If you do that your cache is already better than half of the caches out there.

And sometimes I'm bringing you to a cache simply because it breaks up the hike between two good caches. It gives you a break, the kids a chance to stop, and everyone a chance to grab a quick rest. :)

That's a good hide as well. :laughing:

Back to your original question:

i saw the term "trashcache" when referring to someone hiding many caches..

We believe this references to those cachers that places 100s and 100s of caches and then don't maintain them. We have 2 cachers here in our area that are apparently in some kind of "who can hide the most caches and give them names that are nothing more then going through a list of names of "x" because they can't come up w/ a clever name that has either something to do w/ the cache/the location/being original/etc." competition.

This has resulted in caches that carry the names of : all the US states (a string of all US State capitals to match from cacher #2), all Canadian provinces, all former US presidents (and a string of vice-presidents from the other person), etc, etc, etc. (oh and let's not forget Silo View #1 - #89 :)) Unfortunately most of them are lightpole caches on about every lightpost in the area that's not within 500 feet of an already existing cache. Few of the caches are maintained as it's simply undoable for them to maintain them all having hidden 400-500+ caches each. So pretty much all they have resulted in is having 35mm film canisters littered around the area that simply just leave trash in the end. Hence the name trashcaches.

To be fair, some of the caches the above referenced cachers have hidden are quality caches, but somehow they've gone a little much overboard in their quests for cache hide achievements.

Edited by The Wandering Stars

Ah, ok. Yes, that's pretty much how i saw the term being used. i suppose it's nearly impossible to maintain hundreds of cache.

It sounds like there are a few different styles. Some like to get high find/hide counts, and like the actual hide part. And others like to be outside and also find some cache. Interesting how the philosophy has split. i need to read the history. And get more experience.

We believe this references to those cachers that places 100s and 100s of caches and then don't maintain them. We have 2 cachers here in our area that are apparently in some kind of "who can hide the most caches and give them names that are nothing more then going through a list of names of "x" because they can't come up w/ a clever name that has either something to do w/ the cache/the location/being original/etc." competition.

This has resulted in caches that carry the names of : all the US states (a string of all US State capitals to match from cacher #2), all Canadian provinces, all former US presidents (and a string of vice-presidents from the other person), etc, etc, etc. (oh and let's not forget Silo View #1 - #89 :)) Unfortunately most of them are lightpole caches on about every lightpost in the area that's not within 500 feet of an already existing cache. Few of the caches are maintained as it's simply undoable for them to maintain them all having hidden 400-500+ caches each. So pretty much all they have resulted in is having 35mm film canisters littered around the area that simply just leave trash in the end. Hence the name trashcaches.

To be fair, some of the caches the above referenced cachers have hidden are quality caches, but somehow they've gone a little much overboard in their quests for cache hide achievements.

We believe this references to those cachers that places 100s and 100s of caches and then don't maintain them. We have 2 cachers here in our area that are apparently in some kind of "who can hide the most caches and give them names that are nothing more then going through a list of names of "x" because they can't come up w/ a clever name that has either something to do w/ the cache/the location/being original/etc." competition.{snip}

Yep.... we've got the same thing here. They're great for a numbers run but pathetic if you're wanting a decent cache to find.

I have found what I call Trashcaches twice.

I call them that because the containers were disguised as trash in an area that needed a CITO.

The only reason they were able to exist is because they looked just like the rest of the trash in the area, and indeed, added to the eyesore.

Had these areas been cleaned up with a CITO, the cache would have stood out like an empty beer can on the White House lawn.

So whever I see a cache placed in a trashy area and the cache camo is to look like trash, that one earns the title of Trashcache from me.

...empty beer can on the White House lawn.

Sheesh... you mean I missed another beer party at the White House?

I hear that there is a Trashcache hidden in the landscaping at the White House that is disguised as an empty can of Billy Beer. Been there since the Carter days.

But of course that could be just a rumor...... :)

Truth of the matter is, keeping a cache clean of the garbage falls upon the visiting cachers.

Um, what? :)

Sure everyone including the geocache owner, and the geocache finder should do their part in helping to maintain the geocache. However, the geocache owner IS responsible for swag degradation. If a geocache falls below standards, then it is ultimately up to the geocacher owner to provide the proper maintenance whether it is routine maintenance, preventive maintenance, or even reactive maintenance.

Of course the geocache finder can help on the front end by trading only quality items.

Edited by heyjonathan101

Truth of the matter is, keeping a cache clean of the garbage falls upon the visiting cachers.

Um, what? :)

Sure everyone including the geocache owner, and the geocache finder should do their part in helping to maintain the geocache. However, the geocache owner IS responsible for swag degradation. If a geocache falls below standards, then it is ultimately up to the geocacher owner to provide the proper maintenance whether it is routine maintenance, preventive maintenance, or even reactive maintenance.

Of course the geocache finder can help on the front end by trading only quality items.

There is no obligation that the owner provide any swag at all. Besides it would be pretty tough to stock a nano cache.

There is no obligation that the owner provide any swag at all. Besides it would be pretty tough to stock a nano cache.

I never said that there is any obligation for a geocache owner to provide swag.

However, if a geocache owner places a geocache with swag in it, then it is the responsibilty of the geocache owner to properly maintain that geocache both inside, and out.

As I said before, we can all do our part by trading quality items.

However, if a geocache owner places a geocache with swag in it, then it is the responsibilty of the geocache owner to properly maintain that geocache both inside, and out.

So you're saying if I place swag I am then obligated to re-stock it from time to time.

I fail to see the analogy here.

What you are saying is that if I place a cache and I stock it with items that total a value of $185.00, once that SWAG is degraded to a monetary value somewhere between worthless and the value of the original stock, then I am responsible for bringing up the quality/value of the cache contents to the original level.

I think not (and am guessing that others would agree with me)!

EDIT: Just whatever happened to "trade even or trade up"?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

So you're saying if I place swag I am then obligated to re-stock it from time to time.

If you own the geocache? Then absolutely! It is simply part of routine maintenance.

On the other hand, if I find someone else's geocache that has deteriorated, then I will gladly provide emergency maintenance for that geocache. However, it is ultimately the geocache owner's responsibility to maintain the geocache, not the geocache finder which was implied earlier.

What you are saying is that if I place a cache and I stock it with items that total a value of $185.00, once that SWAG is degraded to a monetary value somewhere between worthless and the value of the original stock, then I am responsible for bringing up the quality/value of the cache contents to the original level.

That is absolutely what I am saying. As the geocacher owner you are responsible for your geocache regardless if you invest $185.00 into it, or just a penny. Yes, the people who find your geocache can do their part to help maintain it. However, at the end of the day if you are the owner, then yes it is your responsibility.

I am sure you have found hundreds of geocaches. Is it your responsibility to maintain all of those geocaches that you have found? I think not. It is the responsibility of those who own them.

There is a difference between providing emergency maintenance, and completely maintaining a geocache for someone else. Like I said earlier, and I will say it again, we can all do our part by trading quality items.

That is absolutely what I am saying. As the geocacher owner you are responsible for your geocache regardless if you invest $185.00 into it, or just a penny. Yes, the people who find your geocache can do their part to help maintain it. However, at the end of the day if you are the owner, then yes it is your responsibility.

I am sure you have found hundreds of geocaches. Is it your responsibility to maintain all of those geocaches that you have found? I think not. It is the responsibility of those who own them.

There is a difference between providing emergency maintenance, and completely maintaining a geocache for someone else. Like I said earlier, and I will say it again, we can all do our part by trading quality items.

IMO swag is not an integral part of the game. It was added later.

I think it is a good idea for people who cache to clean out the junk and if they like they can add swag. Personally I clean out caches that I encounter and add swag because I know that there are people who like swag.

I don't think a CO needs to make sure that at all times their cache has quality swag, but I also don't think they should just let it go and grow mold and rust away. When you check on a cache, tidy it out and trade up or even. Everyone who plays has a responisbilty to at least leave things how they found them- leaving it better then they found it (in terms of the cache contents- not the hide itself)) is a noble thing.

My understanding is that the owner is responisble for the location/hide, the container and the log. The rest is just additional.

*I'm not going to add any more to this thread as I don't feel any good will come of it.

IMO swag is not an integral part of the game. It was added later.

True true, the Original Stash had swag but that wasn't the reason for caching. This is what I get for typing at work and before I've had the second cup of coffee.

A more accurate statment should be "swag wasn't/isn't the main focus of caching".

Interesting discussion so far.

Personally, swag isn't what i'm interested in. i like looking in the container out of curiosity because i haven't been geocaching long and i don't know what to expect. i've left items in every find so far, but only took something out of my first one just for the experience. i also like signing the log a lot, and reading the other names and dates. That's the cool part to me.

Eventually i'll probably stop leaving items unless i think maybe kids go to the cache. They might enjoy that aspect.

When i place my first cache, i'll probably put a gold dollar and TB or something to start. If finders want to leave swag, that's cool. And i will check it to make sure it's all clean and fresh. i found one cache that had a rusty coin or some piece of metal sitting in water and it grossed me out!

Thanks for the posts! i'm learning a lot! i didn't get to cache today and i'm feeling withdrawals! Ha

I'm only really enthusiastic about a couple swag items these days (pins and path tags). But I enjoy the rummage through the random other swag items. But the lack of swag or travel bugs or any of the like does not influence what I think the quality of the cache is. If it's some piece of rubbermaid throwing into the roots of a random tree just to fill up space. If it's not maintained. If it has weatherproofing issues... those are bad caches to me. A nice weather resistant container that is maintained and in a decent location are what I'm in to.

"Trashcache." I hope that word makes it into common usage.

I hope not. It is mostly shorthand for I don't like this type of cache. And given the connotation of trash it isn't very nice.

Clearly some people prefer caches hidden in interesting locations. When they find a cache hidden someplace that doesn't interest them they may refer to it a trashcache. I supposed there are sometimes where the location is literally trashy. And I suppose that most people wouldn't want to find a cache there. But someone may have a good reason for hiding the cache there and there are some people who may even find it interesting to explore such and area. Certainly there are cachers who are more then willing to lend a hand cleaning up trashy areas by practicing CITO.

Trashcache is also used to mean that you think some used and inferior or inadequate container. Once cachers get some experience they learn what works and what doesn't. So if a newbie hides a container type that isn't going to last, I'll cut them some slack. Sometimes however experienced cachers do this as well. Sometimes they are just trying to be humorous or are just trying to place an example of a lousy container. Sometimes they may be cheap and/or not really expecting the cache to last long. It still may be they have a valid reason for hiding this and at least until the cache falls apart completely there will be some people that enjoy finding it.

Some people use the term, just to denigrate any cache they don't like. Some people object to certain micros or to the use of certain hiding techniques they feel are over used. In these cases it is clear that many people do enjoy these caches. The reference to trash here is just inappropriate.

There are some caches that are rarely called trashcaches. I think I once posted that for your first cache you should try to hide an ammo can in a wooded area in a park not too far of a walk and stock it with nice but inexpensive swag. You'll have very few complainers.

We are pretty new to the sport but did find a traditional cache yesterday that had very little left in it and most of it was junk,really. According to the list of original contents the CO started off with some cool stuff. I guess the rule of trade equal or trade up doesn't apply to some. So we stalked it back the best we could as we hunt with a small back pack full of stuff(ya....kinda like a mobile treasure chest =) ).

This might be for another thread but it kinda goes with this.....we also found a very cool hide that was at a forgotten cemetary in the woods of two littles girls. It's a really awesome find and kinda sad. When we opened the container we found some lewd remarks that included someones phone number along with a couple other things. The hand writing and remarks seemed like that of teenagers. The name used didn't show up on the posted logs so I assume they didn't log the find or were possible muggles. Not sure what to do we left them and posted a warning for parents with our logged find. After reading this and a couple other threads I wished we just taken it out. Should we email the CO or just go back and remove them ourselves? It's not that far and I really wouldn't mind doing it. Just don't want to step on anyones toes.

Edited by teamjandt

Take the papers with lewd comments and phones numbers out asap and trash them. Items/materials that are obviously inappropriate is unacceptable. Having that stuff in the cache is against guidelines and it tarnishes the reputation of the game and its players. i like geocaching partly because it's a fun, innocent activity.

i think you should then email the CO and let them know that their cache was muggled, because he may want to post a warning for finders to keep an eye on cache contents, or CO may decide to move and hide the muggled cache elsewhere.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Personally I like a cache that makes me laugh, takes me some place beautiful, give me the opportunity to view some wildlife, or has me standing next to a piece of American history. Of course that's just me, you do what you like. Swag isn't important, but I will look through it if it's there.

I am glad I read this particular discussion!

I went out today to find my first cache, when I found it (YAY) it had some questionable stuff in it (a lighter was what I noticed). I wasn't sure if I should just take things out to clean it up or not. I emailed the cache owner to let them know it was in there. Now I may just go back over there and clean it out for them and add some better SWAG.

Anyway, this thread answered my question that I didn't even know I had :ph34r:

Happy hunting!

As they say - the 3 most importnat things are: location, location, location. Take me somewhere scenic, historical, unique, important, special to you, old, new - then tell me why you brought me there.

Add to that any container that keeps the contents nice and dry and it is a good cache.

That is the gist of it right there. I want to see something new and different. Plus make finding a challenge but not an impossibility.