Two new icons mentioned in Groundspeak weekly newsletter

Tried a forum search but the software won't let me search for a word as short as "icon", and a search by hand of the titles in the last few pages of threads in the Geocaching Topics subforum didn't turn anything up.

I noticed this line in the weekly Groundspeak newsletter:

You can log Groundspeak HQ at Groundspeak's Lost & Found Celebration on July 4th before heading to watch the Seattle fireworks at Gas Works Park... Attendees at the Lost & Found Celebration will be able to earn two special icons, which will be launching soon; one for the event and one for Headquarters.

Does anyone know if either of these icons are going to be limited to just this one time and this one place?

Contextually it seems like there may be a new icon for GCK25B, which would be obtainable by anyone making a visit to HQ at some point. But it also sounds like there may be a new icon for GC24GYW that might only be obtainable for those who are in Seattle, on July 4th.

I know the 10th Anniversary icon was a bit of a thing for completists, seeing as it was only available on one weekend and then gone forever... But in that case there were over 500 events worldwide in at least 39 countries, so theoretically most people had the option of attending an event (or listing one of their own, if nothing was nearby). I don't have much to go on, but it seems like there is a chance that one of the icons hinted at in the GWN will only be available on one day and in one place before disappearing into myth.

Am I reading this right?

Definitely not clearly written.

It looks as though two new special icons are being added: The Triad, and Groundpeak HQ. The third mentioned is the Project A.P.E.

I would certainly hope that The Triad and Groundspeak HQ will continue to be available after the 4th. (I got my Project A.P.E. icon on the archived one in Maryland. Yes! Andy Bear and I took a special trip to Maryland with the A.P.E. icon as the highlight!)

Some clarification from TPTB is required here.

It certainly sounds like that icon will only be available at that one event. If so, that seems rather unfair to everyone in other parts of the world. Groundspeak: Will there be any other opportunity to collect this icon?

It certainly sounds like that icon will only be available at that one event. If so, that seems rather unfair to everyone in other parts of the world. Groundspeak: Will there be any other opportunity to collect this icon?

I don't really care about collecting an icon but creating one just for those that have a reasonable opportunity to be at that one event does seem a bit unfair. This *is* supposed to be an international game and it just seems odd that Groundspeak would create a award that is effectively only available for the local community (or those rich enough to pay the airfare to get to Seattle). At least for the 10 year event icon, there were events all over the world.

Getting all the icons is a personal challenge people set for themselves, I assume. So if they don't think that the location-specific icon is fair, they should feel free to exclude it from their personal goal.

It's no harm to anyone, really.

I hope any new HQ and/or Triad icons will be retroactive!

Me too. At least some of us have our very special Project Ape coins. :blink:

And I see it made it to Mission 9! Sweet! Glad you like your coin!

Back on topic....

I have no problem not being able to get an icon that is either obsolete, is conceivably available but I choose not to pursue for whatever reason. However, aving one for a single event and only attainable by a select few seems not "in the spirit of the game" to me. Oh well. Not my sandbox.

Hmm.. I hope they don't start making one time only icons... I've enjoyed having one small victory (since I've long since given up on a full set of trackables icons, at this point that's almost a ludicrous prospect) in geocaching.

Then again, I haven't done as much caching recently as I used to either.. I'll just have to let it go, and know the sport I enjoyed was far simpler than what it is evolving into. To each their own of course. And I know with every venture, things have to grow. Regardless, I'll always consider myself a geocacher. The only time that would ever change is if my fellow geocachers ever start turning up their noses at me because I don't do this or that or have this or that. I just enjoy finding stuff in the woods :blink:

Hmm.. I hope they don't start making one time only icons... I've enjoyed having one small victory (since I've long since given up on a full set of trackables icons, at this point that's almost a ludicrous prospect) in geocaching.

Then again, I haven't done as much caching recently as I used to either.. I'll just have to let it go, and know the sport I enjoyed was far simpler than what it is evolving into. To each their own of course. And I know with every venture, things have to grow. Regardless, I'll always consider myself a geocacher. The only time that would ever change is if my fellow geocachers ever start turning up their noses at me because I don't do this or that or have this or that. I just enjoy finding stuff in the woods :blink:

I doubt there will ever be people who turn their noses up at that. And if there are such people, screw 'em. :(

Does anyone know if either of these icons are going to be limited to just this one time and this one place?

I'm sure somebody does know. It wouldn't be me. Or the Psychic cacher either, apparently.

Looks like the HQ cache is gonna have its own icon, for sure. That would attach to the GC Code, so if you've already found it, you'd have the icon - unless they go with a new GC Code, of course.

As to the other, how about L&F?LF_16.gif for lost and found event type maybe? they announced this as an attribute, but maybe decided to make it an icon. Sheer speculation on my part.

I'll never have a Moving Cache icon, so my ability to catch them all is already shot,

there is no Moving Cache icon....? Locationless perhaps?

I am very interested in the new icons as well. My family and I will be up the week of the 28th of June and will be visiting Groundspeak HQ so I am hoping that they will be available by then. :unsure:

As I understand it you have to attend a function on the 3rd of July (LOST AND FOUND EVENT) to be eligible to get the coin. Not everyone who attends will get one.

Just when I am ready to complete my icon collection at the adventures exhibit next weekend . . .

If I got my way you'd never be able to complete it because individual cache owners would be able to purchase their own personalized icon for their caches.

It would be impossible much the same way owning/discovering all the coin icons would.

At any rate, your stress over these icons would be less and your new icon opportunities would be greatly increased.

But nobody listens to me..... :D

:)

My take on it is that there is a new icon for the L&F event and a new icon for HQ. I don't know whether or not the new icon for HQ would be available after the GW8 weekend. Since it's sort of a 10 year icon look, it may only be available for that weekend, but GSP may keep it permanently. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

As for it being "fair", well is it fair that a lot of my cacher friends of icons for locationless caches and I can't log one? Is it fair that some people don't have the Wherigo icon because they don't have the right hardware to do one of those caches? Is it fair that there's only one Project APE cache left in North America and only folks who get to the west coast (or to another country that has one) can get it?

It's all subjective. My opinion is that GSP has made it quite clear that the 10 year anniversary of geocaching is a big deal to them so they are doing some very special things for it, and these two new icons (along with the 10 year icon) are part of that. Ya, it sucks if you can't be there to get the icon, but it also sucks for people who can't get Wherigo's or the APE cache.

I happen to be going to GW8 so I'll be in attendance to obtain the icons. Do I think it's unfair to others? Not really. I am sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to get other kinds of icons in the future.

Mind you, it does irk me that I can't get the locationless icon but I'm not too upset about it.

Edited by Zor

The cache page for GC24GYW now says:

This Event Cache will have a special icon, which will be added to the cache page before the event.

I've heard of icons that are only available in very limited places (the APE caches, for example, or the GPS Maze Exhibit) and recently I've heard of icons that were only available for a very limited time (the 10 years! events). But this is the first time I've come across an icon that is available in a very limited place *and* for a very limited time - one place, one day (assuming that I'm interpreting it correctly).

As for it being "fair", well is it fair that a lot of my cacher friends of icons for locationless caches and I can't log one?

Yes, that's fair. We're talking about NEW icons--that most people will never have a ghost of a chance of obtaining. That's what's not fair... :blink:

I guess it's just me then. To me, I see it no different than something like the APE cache icons which at the time were "new" but only a handful of people would be able to get them. Same thing with the Wherigo icons which are limited to only people with a WIG device and access to a cache with that icon that they can get to.

NOT FAIR.

To "The Powers That Be,"

The idea posted below would do a lot to get rid of the sentiment(s) above. :D

I'm just sayin'. :blink:

Just when I am ready to complete my icon collection at the adventures exhibit next weekend . . .

If I got my way you'd never be able to complete it because individual cache owners would be able to purchase their own personalized icon for their caches.

It would be impossible much the same way owning/discovering all the coin icons would.

At any rate, your stress over these icons would be less and your new icon opportunities would be greatly increased.

But nobody listens to me..... :)

:D

I guess it's just me then. To me, I see it no different than something like the APE cache icons which at the time were "new" but only a handful of people would be able to get them. Same thing with the Wherigo icons which are limited to only people with a WIG device and access to a cache with that icon that they can get to.

Maybe part of it is how it happened?

Locationless caches were offered in good faith, and then later retired in good faith with plenty of warning.

APE caches were available in a lot of different places - two in the Northeast, two in the South, one in the Midwest, four in the West, and five in foreign countries (covering Europe, Asia, Australia and South America). They are kind of like Mega Events - there might not be one on your doorstep, but for most (not all) people there was probably one within driving distance. There are only two left, but it's been a very natural attrition - that any of the original containers are still out there at all is kind of amazing.

With regards to WIG, my perception is that Groundspeak had a real expectation that it would be a growing segment of the game and that the technology would be increasingly available on a variety of devices (GPSr models, smartphones, etc.). That hasn't really happened, but I think it was an honest projection by TPTB.

The GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit is a rare icon, but it shows up in about a half dozen locations around the country every year. Like a Mega Event, it's likely that at some point it will show up within driving distance.

All of that feels very natural. A new icon that will be available in exactly one place for a few hours feels like a different path than the above.

I don´t believe that there will be any new icon for Groundspeak event. That would be nonsense. Why creating icon just for couple hours. I think it will be just the already known lost and found events icon. Even the title of the event is lost and found, so why new icon? This event was published before 10 years events and so the lost and found icon had not been known yet. So no worries - there will be NO NEW ICON.

And if yes, who cares. :blink:;):o

Edited by k-lord

I just don't understand the glamor of collecting icons in the first place. All they are is a collection of bits that light up pixels on your monitor. Its not like you're gonna meet some hot babe on the way to the last A.P.E. cache in the U.S., and afterwards ask her up to see your icon collection in hopes that you might get lucky. Dude... it's just a freaking ICON!!! A BITMAP. A picture... need I draw you one? :blink:

I just don't understand the glamor of collecting icons in the first place. All they are is a collection of bits that light up pixels on your monitor. Its not like you're gonna meet some hot babe on the way to the last A.P.E. cache in the U.S., and afterwards ask her up to see your icon collection in hopes that you might get lucky. Dude... it's just a freaking ICON!!! A BITMAP. A picture... need I draw you one? :blink:

My daughter once asked if anybody ever looks at the icons we have on our profile -- whether it be for caching or geocoins. I told her that probably no one ever does. At least I would hope not. But I have a friend who is very much into icons. He went across the country for the GPS Maze Exhibit and is planning his HQ trip.

I can't say that I don't understand because a friend and I took a drive to the Maze last weekend; a couple of years ago, I did a whilrwind trip with some friends for the APE cache in Washington; and my wife tells me that she is willing to go to the Groundspeak HQ event. We'll see about the latter.

Unfortunately, I was too old to meet a hot babe on the way to the APE cache. And my wife might have had a problem if I did. But it was an amazing adventure - we got there when the tunnel was still open, a day after it opened - and I would not have missed that for anything. So its nice to look at the icon now and then and think about that.

I have wondered if the two announced icons were influenced by Gowalla, an iphone app that seems to be growing by combining Waymarking-like locations with very well done icons. They had an event at their HQ, and gave people an icon for attending that. My friend also likes collecting Gowalla icons, but I have to draw the line somewhere. . . . .

We have seen a lot of new icons lately. The 10 year events. The announced HQ icon and the lost and found events. I hope that this is not a trend to keep up with the other games. Too many and whatever personal value they hold starts to diminish. Unless they want to give an icon for attending a professional darts tournament. I would be all over that, particularly if it meant a trip to Blackpool.

So if we end up going to Seattle, it would be for the adventure more than the icon. I have not seen the Olympic Peninsula in a long while. And a drive to Mt. St. Helens might be interesting. And if I get the icon, I hope nobody notices but me. If you are checking out other people's icons, you have way too much time on your hands.

Edited by mulvaney

Locationless caches were offered in good faith, and then later retired in good faith with plenty of warning.

APE caches were available in a lot of different places - two in the Northeast, two in the South, one in the Midwest, four in the West, and five in foreign countries (covering Europe, Asia, Australia and South America). They are kind of like Mega Events - there might not be one on your doorstep, but for most (not all) people there was probably one within driving distance. There are only two left, but it's been a very natural attrition - that any of the original containers are still out there at all is kind of amazing.

With regards to WIG, my perception is that Groundspeak had a real expectation that it would be a growing segment of the game and that the technology would be increasingly available on a variety of devices (GPSr models, smartphones, etc.). That hasn't really happened, but I think it was an honest projection by TPTB.

The GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit is a rare icon, but it shows up in about a half dozen locations around the country every year. Like a Mega Event, it's likely that at some point it will show up within driving distance.

All of that feels very natural. A new icon that will be available in exactly one place for a few hours feels like a different path than the above.

I agree totally with all of this!

I my opinion, Groundspeak are making A BIG MISTAKE by creating cache icons which are unobtainable to the majority.

Consider this:

A few years ago here in the UK, the country's most popular TV soap opera (Coronation Street) went from

three episodes per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) to having one on Sunday evenings as well.

Did this increase the viewing figures? No! Viewing figures dropped because people were busy doing other stuff on Sundays and they soon realized that if they missed Sunday's episode, they could live with missing the normal weekday ones as well...

What I'm saying is, more icons = less interest.

There are quite a few UK cachers who pride themselves with having found at least one of every cache type.

Add in types that are not achievable, and interest in any other new types will dwindle as well

Oh yes, we have set four Wherigo caches and on several occasions have lent our Oregon or PDA to cachers keen to do them but not having the necessary equipment. ;)

Mark

I agree totally with all of this!

I my opinion, Groundspeak are making A BIG MISTAKE by creating cache icons which are unobtainable to the majority.

Consider this:

A few years ago here in the UK, the country's most popular TV soap opera (Coronation Street) went from

three episodes per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) to having one on Sunday evenings as well.

Did this increase the viewing figures? No! Viewing figures dropped because people were busy doing other stuff on Sundays and they soon realized that if they missed Sunday's episode, they could live with missing the normal weekday ones as well...

What I'm saying is, more icons = less interest.

There are quite a few UK cachers who pride themselves with having found at least one of every cache type.

Add in types that are not achievable, and interest in any other new types will dwindle as well

Oh yes, we have set four Wherigo caches and on several occasions have lent our Oregon or PDA to cachers keen to do them but not having the necessary equipment. :(

Mark

Very, very, very well put. I've always thought the more plumbing you put in, the more issues you run into.

I have lessened the amount of geocaching I have done in the past year or two (mostly due to numbers battles and cache challenges, huge caching trips and resulting neglect of my other day to day duties and interaction with my non-caching friends and family).

Then I see recent events of more geo-elitism like giving people yet another opportunity to have something to lord over me, as if numbers weren't enough, and "leaderboards", now add to the list icon hunters... Yes, I can ignore them, but more to the point, why should I have to?

I'm seriously considering with all these factors, why do I pay money for a premium membership? When I can't fully enjoy the sport, and have suffered a lot of disillusion with the game of late. Do I need a premium membership to go out and find a leisurely cache here and there when I get the urge to find one? Do I need pocket queries to load my gps with hundreds or thousands of caches if I only intend to find a couple? Do I need access to member-only caches? Do I need extra access to the site? Can I use my android phone and a geocaching app without a premium account, and still find the occasional cache?

Perhaps it is fate that my yearly subscription is due soon. Perhaps someone can provide me some answers to make me want to keep paying. Money usually speaks more than words, and it's nice to have the option.

I'm not upset, nor mad, nor irrational. I'm just asking the questions because they're all fair points, and open for logical discussion.

Edited by KC0GRN

A new icon that will be available in exactly one place for a few hours feels like a different path than the above.

It appears that the Groundspeak Headquarters icon had been awarded to anyone who has visited GCK25B in the past, and presumably will be awarded in the future. My sister found that cache three years ago, and now has that icon.

I noticed that Groundspeak is planning a sequel to last year's block party:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2010/09/grounds...tember-30-2010/

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2FYVM

The language in the blog post is all about the repeat nature of the event ("do it again!", "once again take over the streets", "we hope to see those of you who didn’t make it this year", etc.). Does that indicate that the icon will be the same as last year's event, or will it be the standard Mega icon?