Combining Traditional or Multi with Earthcache

Can you hide clues within a Tradional cache or in a set of multis to use for ALR's for an Earthcache?I noticed the area surrounding a local Earthcahe potential is fairly empty of caches.

Most of the time people want info on plaques and such. But I think I can get people to walk in and around this area to get the logging requirements.

Thought anyone?

Edited by 42at42

The earthcache requirments usually have to be educational. Something they can read or observe or measure at or near the location.

But nothing wrong with hiding caches near an earthcache so long as it meets the guidelines.

It will be educational. I was just wondering if finding a traditional in the area of the EC with a code inside to be emailed to me as the ALR for logging the EC is acceptable. They can log the traditional as well as the EC. I don't know if there a specific plaque for this EC. There are other oulying areas that tie to it that I would like people to see as well.

It will be educational. I was just wondering if finding a traditional in the area of the EC with a code inside to be emailed to me as the ALR for logging the EC is acceptable.

NO.

This is not acceptable.

Providing a 'short-cut' to logging the EarthCache seems to eliminate the point of the Earthcache in the first place. Why even bother looking at the details for the EC if you could just log it with a codeword?

Another Traditional cache in the vicinity of the EC? GREAT!! :bad:

Providing codeword logging for the EC? BAD, VERY BAD! :):laughing:

It will be educational. I was just wondering if finding a traditional in the area of the EC with a code inside to be emailed to me as the ALR for logging the EC is acceptable.

NO.

This is not acceptable.

Providing a 'short-cut' to logging the EarthCache seems to eliminate the point of the Earthcache in the first place. Why even bother looking at the details for the EC if you could just log it with a codeword?

Another Traditional cache in the vicinity of the EC? GREAT!! :bad:

Providing codeword logging for the EC? BAD, VERY BAD! :):laughing:

It is my goal to get the person out to the EC.

The EC description would provide the total educational content of the EC and the two GC numbers for the traditionals.

The traditional lisitng will not mention the EC listing.

The traditionals will be located close to two prominent spots within the EC.

I am going to scout the area and see if there is another way to get the ALR's.

It's not in keeping with the aims of Earthcache.org. They have a comprehensive set of guidelines and are very clear that no cache containers can be associated with an Earthcache.

If you ask in the Earthcache forum, there are lots of experienced Earthcache owners who might have some ideas. Using photographs for data collection is permitted. The Great Canadian Juicepig has a ton of Earthcaches with some creative logging tasks. One of them gets you to stick a magnet to a rock at an iron mine, another asks for a track log showing elevation along a trail. Get creative!

narcissa's reply is a good one.

The EC description would provide the total educational content of the EC and the two GC numbers for the traditionals.

No, it won't be published.

if finding a traditional in the area of the EC with a code inside to be emailed to me as the ALR for logging the EC is acceptable.

No again.

Write up a nice Earthcache, and place some traditional caches too. Don't try to reference the physical caches in the EC write up or the Earthcache in the physical cache pages, and don't try to find a way to add ALR. Not allowed for physical caches, and the earthcache logging requirements are limited by their guidelines.

...The EC description would provide the total educational content of the EC and the two GC numbers for the traditionals.

Thats is just what I was trying to say above. The educational content for logging must come from the location itself. Something that can be learned or observed specifically by being at that spot.

narcissa's reply is a good one.

No, it won't be published.

if finding a traditional in the area of the EC with a code inside to be emailed to me as the ALR for logging the EC is acceptable.

No again.

Write up a nice Earthcache, and place some traditional caches too. Don't try to reference the physical caches in the EC write up or the Earthcache in the physical cache pages, and don't try to find a way to add ALR. Not allowed for physical caches, and the earthcache logging requirements are limited by their guidelines.

Thanks for this answer. I was about to say something similar. I will try to find some ALR that will work with the EC.

Totally separate from the EC I will look for some good hides in the area.